Register now to get rid of these ads!

T-5 Transmission to SBC ... How?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tdfsu, Oct 31, 2006.

1. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

not ALL 4 cylinders suffer from f-word parts, the 2.2 pos s10 trannys are wrong, earlier 2.5 stuff will fit. Might not live behind a v8, but it fits. 10" clutch came in early 80s 2wd jeeps. 9" and 11" are gm sourced.

2. raven

raven

Will the guts from a 6cyl. Jeep T-5 be able to hold up to a mild V-8?
    Can I put them in an S-10 case?
    r

3. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Robin, its not the guts that fail, the side load on one of the shafts blows the case on non-wc trans. supposedly the world class case has thicker ribs and bearings instead of bushings on that intermediate shaft, but having never ACTUALLY done it, I could be wrong. there's a site, 5-speeds.com I think, that is smarter than me.

4. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Thanks all, I'll check out the Stovebolt and Inliners sites. I want to put this behind my 235 to start with. Sounds like I can't use my stock bell housing, is that right?

The search is on. Well, it's 20 miles from here. The dickering on price is on! THEN we'll go for the V8 one next.

5. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

It's a combo of the side-loads & gear ratios - the lower gear ratios provide greater leverage to try & force the gears apart. The aluminum case is a weak-link of the design - not that it fails, rather, it lets the gears try to separate.

AFAIK, the cases aren't significantly different at all between WC & NWC.

6. Ghostrdr

Ghostrdr
    from Missouri

I keep hearing about everyone using the T5 and always wondered about the predecessor, the 4+3 thing they used in Vettes. For some reason I always heard the T5 was a little weak for preformance use. Mustang guys use thme but they are highly modified I thought.

7. cadillac dave

cadillac dave

there is an article in the #18 nov. 2006 " ol' skool rodz" magazine. lays it all out. but i must say after reading it i am more confused than ever. cadillac dave

8. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

In mocking up the drivetrain on my roadster, I switched from the NWC T5 (from an S10) I originaly intended on using to a saginaw 4 speed. The trans will bolt right into the bellhousing fine. The thing to consider though is that the tail shaft of the T5 is a couple inches longer then on the saginaw. You might need to adjust your driveshaft length etc.

9. ford4chevy

ford4chevy
    BANNED
    from Sanger, CA

no just spline count 80"s gmc astro van has the disk you need

10. Ghostrdr

Ghostrdr
    from Missouri

The NWc T5 was rated at only 265 Ft-Lbs of torque, that was my concern, even the WC had a max torque rating of 300Ft-Lbs. though I am sure with engineering safety factoirs they might survive under 350Ft-Lbs for a while.