Register now to get rid of these ads!

A Postcard from Havana (WARNING: not dialup friendly)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dan34, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Thanks for posting this. I've wanted to go to Cuba for a long time. One way to go is through Mexico. Just don't get the Cuba stamps in your passport or the US Customs will hassle you.

I noticed the 52 Caddy with the one ton rear. That's probably one of Meyer Lansky's old cars.

2. dan34

dan34
    from Norway

I think many people with old cars down there would much rather be driving a toyota yaris if they could. But even if the political sittuation changes drastically I'm pretty sure many of them are stuck with what they have for as long as they can keep them running.

Yeah, they don't stamp your passport on Cuba. Though I wouldn't recommend loosing your passpord while you're down there as an american! Check out the Cuba book from Lonley Planet, they have lots of great info. Including visa procedures.

They DO sell new cars on Cuba.. But remember that most cubans are very poor. So even if they could technically import they don't have the money to do it.
    I'm not sure if it's possible for private persons to import stuff just like that. Probably a lot of goverment restrictions on that as everyhting else, though I'm just guessing here.

3. Squablow

Squablow

That'd be my thoughts too. Even if trade opened back up with the US, and even if the average Cuban made more $ through trade exports, I still don't see that many would have the money to buy even the cheapest new American car, and it seems doubtful that anyone would bother to ship over used cars since there wouldn't be much profit in it.

I could see shipping containers full of new replacement and junkyard parts being shipped over to help restore/maintain the cars that they do have.

Lots of respect to anyone who makes $25 a month and can still keep a 50 year old car driveable continuously for 50 years.

4. Spedley

Spedley

I think that '58 Impala conv. has regular rims on the back, just a dually hubcap. They sell those at Canadian Tire here, the hillbillies love 'em!

5. Cuba won't stay poor for long once Castro dies and the trade embargo goes and diplomatic relations resume.
    Hopefully the Cubans won't get fucked over in the rush of investment to come.

6. amazing pictures. I like the 2-door phaeton, if its real.

7. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I don't know why....but this picture is just so.....hmmm, can't explain it....
    I love the perspective of it.......

Also...notice all the headlight "eyebrows" and chrome directional wheels....

8. moefuzz

moefuzz

What a great thread and even better pics...

I enjoy photography and think it would be neat to take some black and white or sepia tone pics as many of your shots are period perfect as if they stepped out of any small town in the 50's or 60's.....

Thanks for posting so many great pics...

Attached Files:

9. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

Cool photos, yeah Buena Vista Social Club is a great film.

10. dan34

dan34
    from Norway

Cool! I really liked the idea with b/w versions of the images, thanks! :)

11. Sure seems those old cars are holding up a lot better than some of the buildings in the background. Thanks for the pics. I dig the 58 Impala convert, Taxi. My friends gonna crap when i show him that one

12. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

I am one of many who always wanted to visit there. The people deserve better than what they have but do well as they can with what they have. If there is a way I would send needed car parts to help keep them on the road.
    Before Castro it was a US tourist mecca. There are hot ladies there too!

13. 3034

Amazing inginuity keeps these cars running. Thank for posting the pics. This post reminds me of the 51 Chevy truck made into a boat headed to Florida:

http://www.floatingcubans.com/

14. colorado51

colorado51

Man, 58 Chevy 'vert and a 51 Chevy 'vert; production numbers on those are pretty low!

Pretty cool that they have kept their old rides going for so long, (not like they really have a choice...).

Maybe things will turn around for those people after Castro is gone.

15. edsel

edsel

This post reminds me of my year living in Turkey during the early 80's , I was amazed how many 55 chevy 4 dr taxis they had, I was told at the time that Turkey bought the old molds from chevy and was reproducing new 55 chevy 4drs, I tried to purchase new trim pieces from friends there to send home, but it was illegal , Damn.
    Thanks for posting

edsel

16. volken65

volken65

Sweet pics...

thanks.

If you have more, keep them coming...

17. Rodmania

Rodmania
    from Norway

Yeah, Dan! more-more-more :)

18. Spark Plug

Spark Plug
    from Duvall, WA

Yeah, I noticed they were not the typical Phaeton. Also, the ones with the VW frontends appear to actually be dropped right down on the whole VW chassis. Look at the lime green one (backend shot), and you can see a box has been added on the back of the phaeton housing the VW motor. The round pea shooter exhuast hanging out below gives it way. Plus the track width of the rear end is really sucked in.

AWESOME PICS. I'd love to get some of these higher resolution and add to my car pictures slide show screen saver.

19. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Wow ive always wanted to go there it's almost gunna suck when they finally open it back up to trade. They will all buy new cars and not know how good they had it. Did you go on Vacation? how gringo friendly is it?

20. dan34

dan34
    from Norway

Yeah, it was a vaccation! =)
    Well, I think it was too gringo friendly. The Cubans need your money really really bad.. so everyone is trying to be your friend. Everywhere you turn there's someone trying to sell you 'fake' cigars, women or asking you to buy milk for their baby. Cuba is a country of extreme contrasts between the poor and the wealthy (mostly tourists). I really like it but it's not as relaxed as other poor countries in South America, like Bolivia etc.
    If I were to go there again I'd be sure to learn more spanish first, and visit smaller places where less tourists go.

As a car enthusiast you need to go there. fast. If your curious about the country and culture, then ditto.. But if you're just looking for a great vaccation, go to Brazil instead...

Cuba left me with mixed feelings. I'm happy I went there, I wouldn't change that for anything. I had a great time.. But I doubt I'll go there again.

21. HotRodRick49

HotRodRick49

Its just incredible to see all this American steel, beautiful like honda Civics down there, just incredible. Being as young as I am, I would love to see this in New York, or just everywhere for that matter.

Incredible pictures.

22. It's the Coast Guard Policy to sink them.

23. K-is-for-kustom

K-is-for-kustom
    BANNED

the green 3/4 ton cadillac in nuts as fuk!

24. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

very cool...thanks for sharing. i like all the buildings and colors in the back grounds too.

its hard to believe the bodies on some of those cars have held up so well.

25. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

that PBS documentery that some of you mentioned is called "Yank Tanks" I rented it from a video store awhile back, it is really cool to watch.

amphibious 59 buick 4dhtp:

Attached Files:

26. koolkemp

koolkemp

Look alittle closer at it...its not an Impala, windshield is too tall and there are no "scoops" on the sides of the1/4's...its a sedan with the roof wacked off and a home-made or adapted conv top frame! Talk about a want for a conv! Prolly makes more $ from tourists with a ragtop.