Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cup holders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brokenspoke, Mar 7, 2007.

1. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I'm looking for ideas on a dash mounted cup or drink holders...I'm wanting to have it fold out of site when not in use...Any suggestions??:)

2. dvlscoupe

dvlscoupe

Might be helpful if you say what you're putting it in. I put on in my 50 and it just pulled out from behind the speaker grill when I pulled the grill down like a glove box.

3. BinderRod

BinderRod

CUP Holders?? Hot Rods don't have cup holders! Mini Vans have cup holders!

4. dvlscoupe

dvlscoupe

I knew this was a trick question...dang it.

5. Gigantor

Gigantor

I've always wanted to rob the cup holders out of a late 90's SAAB. They are vertical slits that gracefully unfurl from the dash with the light press of a button. As they descend, the hoop that holds the cup rotates to a horizontal position and locks in place the same instant the supporting arm has stopped it's downward descent.

Can you tell I've played with these before just to watch them work?

Very space agey shit, but maybe a little too street rod.

With a little Yankee Ingenuity, you could probably rig up something similar out of old car parts. Lord knows I want to try it. Sorry, just thinking about that simple yet awesome piece of engineering gets me wet.

6. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

They sell these made out out of aluminum for street rods. They are manually pulled from a slot.

Depending on your dash you could make something that swivels back out of sight when not in use.

I will look for a picture of the billet cup holder.

7. Gigantor

Gigantor

Ouch. That hurts! I said I'd make my own!

8. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

9. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

HEre is the cup holder I was thinking of. Maybe it would give you an idea of making one. This one is $135.00:confused:

It is a cool idea but awfully expensive!

I have seen adouble model also, this is just the first one I found.

Attached Files:

10. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

11. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

Settle down! I never intended for you to buy one, I was just going to show it to you for an idea.

12. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I like my idea better....... hand the drink to the pretty girl riding with you.
    Problem solved! :D

Seriously tho, I'm gonna have to look for the SAAB ones, just to see

13. Gigantor

Gigantor

Yeah - the SAAB ones are definitely cooler - the arre vertical that fold down into horizontal. Sure, it's excess in engineering, but damn it looks cool.

And I will make or steal cupholders before I EVER spend that kind of money!

14. fastfreddie

fastfreddie

I liked the one a HAMBer down in Florida, put in his truck, an old tin Quaker State oil can mounted to the transmission hump.

FF

15. wvenfield

wvenfield

Why? It's tough to drink and make turns with no power steering.

Just find one of those old plastic ones with the sandbags that held it in place on the hump.

16. I'm glad you asked. Because I like to drive my car any chance I get, and sometimes that involves having a cup of coffee on a cold-ass Detroit winter day. I drove it two weeks ago in an ice storm, and Sunday in a 12 degree chill, and lemmie tell you a cup of coffee was a nice thing to have (no heater in my car - yet). And I don't like to leave a hot coffee that close to the jewels. In the summer it gets really hot inside a chopped flat black chevy, and a nice bottle of water will keep you from turning to dust , so I'm gonna put in a cup holder.

I've been swearing to do it for a while and never got around to it. I was going to get a piece of larger diameter exhaust pipe and cut it like a velocity stack, weld something in it to keep the cup from falling in, and have a couple of them come up off the trans hump like the pipes of a pipe organ. What about those metal cage type ones that i used to see on boats? I'm sure they still make them. You know the ones, they swivel so when you fly around corners you don't spill your drink? I think that's kitschy cool enough for any car.

And of course, there's the HAMB mantra: "Fuck 'em... it's your car, do whatever you want."

17. Spedley

Spedley

A roll of duct tape works good, beer can (or bottle) fits real nice in the center, and the sticky edge of the roll holds it in place on the upholstery.

18. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Paint it red and call it a ratrod holder....yea.................

19. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

WTF!! cup holders? just let it ride between your legs

20. snapper

snapper
    from PNW

What a hose from the keg in the back like everyone else isn't good enough for ya???

21. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I've done that...worked really well, but I once damn near drowned when I had to stop hard from 80 with the hose in my mouth.

22. chopped

chopped

Plastic hang on the door, got em last week at Car Quest for a buck. They fold away. (Throw under the seat).

23. Rocknrod

Rocknrod
    from NC, USA

I like those chrome wire baskets that hang from a single screw. Only fit glass bottles though!

24. BlueGhost

BlueGhost

Some cheap plastic fold away cup holders I found on ebay.
    Looks like they could be made to work.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

25. Imwalkin

Imwalkin
    from Tucson, Az

from the vw world But it could look nice in some cars. Search Thesamba.com cupholders for one.

Attached Files:

26. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I know how everyone just looooves Ebay, but here's a picture of one out of a mid-'90s Chevy pickup. It mounts to the bottom of the dash and slides forward and down to hold 2 cups of whatever. This guy wants a bit for what he has, but you could probably get the same thing out of a local salvage yard pretty inexpensively. Then again, if he has the color you want/need, then it'd probably be worth it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-9...018QQitemZ280088080797QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

27. I've got other things that ride between my legs. My car has a flat floor so I use one of those cheap plastic low console jobs screwed to it. Holds 2 cups, toll booth change and a half dozen cds.

28. I have one kind of like that from a Honda Civic. Its thinner though.

29. 5WINDO

5WINDO
    from ohio

How about a double D bra from the rear view mirror