Register now to get rid of these ads!

To chop or not to chop my 32???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LilDuec, Mar 6, 2007.

1. telecaster_6

telecaster_6

Um...just make the top look like this one....dunno what it is about this car...but it gives me wood everytime i see it....

Attached Files:

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

If you like the "no chop" then you have your answer...

3. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Did you scale the two chops so you know how many inches each represents? I've been wrestling with this very problem on my '32 5w. I love a 3 1/2'-4" chop but I can't sit in the car with that much taken out. I'm going to keep the fenders so I'm thinking a 2" chop will look about right. That way I'll still have some head room.

Frank

4. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Build what YOU like. No chop, heavy chop, slight chop., you should build it for yourself, and how YOU like it. Nice car. Stu

5. EL BOZITO

EL BOZITO
    from EAST BAY

mild chop!!!!

6. The "little chop" looks the best to me. But it is kind of nice to see one un-chopped for a change. With it un-chopped and channeled, it looks kind of like an old East Coast style hot rod which I don't see very often out here on the West Coast, so it makes it kind of unique. There is something to be said for having a little headroom too.

7. LilDuec

LilDuec

Su D Baker I am building what "I" like. I'm most definately NOT askin for anyones opinion on what I should do with my car!!! I was just messin around one day on the computer and thought it was cool to see what it would look like and thought I would share.

Fab 32 I just cut and dragged the top down thats all. Just take a pic from the side view and do it that way. Not really sure how much it is though.

8. chaddilac

chaddilac

I think any way you go you can't go wrong.... they all look good to me!!

9. I don't have anything like Photoshop, but it works pretty well actually to just take a photograph or a print or a magazine picture and cut it with scissors where you would chop it and just slide it up and down until it looks right and then tape it like that from the back. Or cut a line along the bottom edge of the body and along the bottom edge of the fenders of a picture of a fendered car so you have the wheels and ground in one piece, then you can raise the wheels up higher under the fenders to see what it will look like lowered. Kind of fun and the pictures look pretty realistic.

10. I have had a couple of choped cars,,,one was a 32 3W,,the other a 39 convert.,,,,as I get older the more I like head room,,,,I vote NO CHOP,,,but that's just my opinion,,,,:rolleyes: HRP

11. fastfreddie

fastfreddie

chop it, Chop it, Chop It!!!

FF

12. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Dont be a fool, leave it, its cool.

P.S. I went to highland.....i mean altomont swap meet sunday. Did you go? It sucked. Ill probably never go to effingham again.

13. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Just what I told the Barber last week .... A LITTLE OFF THE TOP PLEASE

14. DeuceDog

DeuceDog
    from Breese, IL

You can't chop it...your to tall.

DD

15. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

With the body being channeled over the frame ... room gets scarce inside for a driver over 5 foot 8 inches or so. I like it unchopped.

Just my nickel ... :)

16. DrJ

DrJ

I think if that particular car was destined to be chopped, someone in the past 75 years would have done it already.

It's channeled, it doesn't need chopping too.
    Leave it.

17. 8flat

8flat

Chop. Fenderless coupes just look really strange with the original roof height, the symetry and proportions are just broken. In my opinion, you need at least 2 or 3 inches taken out.

With the fenders on, the stock roof looks fine. Just my 2cents.

18. Builtforsin

Builtforsin

Leave it. It looks good the way it is. Doesnt need to be scraping the ground and chopped so low that you have to have your head cocked just to sit in it, as some would say it needs to be.

19. myke

myke
    from SoCal

20. derelict

derelict

Cut it. Cut it now... you could always save the pieces and if you didn't like it unchop it.

21. skyrodder

skyrodder

i'm digging the 3rd chop!

22. 390Power

390Power
    from Oregon

i say leave it unchopped give it some more individuality :)
    ps: where did you get that scoop at?

23. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

You already said you prefer the stock roof. Believe me, there are lots of folks out there that like just what you've got!! Yes, that paint decision is the one that drives you crazy. Think about 48 Plymouth Cruiser Maroon or '02 Thunderbird Inspiration Yellow, and about 50 gajillion other colors!!HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAH...I have to go lay down now.

After you whack out that freako sunroof you can use a 71-80 Pinto/Bobcat station wagon roof to fill the hole. We used one on my brother's 32 5W and it works really nice. The front and rear of the roof insert will be cut just above the raingutters of the donor car, i.e., sideways to the installation in the 32.
    We made a butcher paper template from the 32 marked ith a centerline front to rear and side to side. Laid it on the donor car after marking the center line of the donor car roof with a marker. Traced around the pattern, and cut the panel about one inch bigger than the line. Laid it on the Deuce and marked it for trimming to fit the original hole.

24. Wowcars

Wowcars

DO NOT CHOP IT. I think 32 5W are perfect just the way they are. Everybody wants to cut 'em up. Beauty is in the restraint. Here is a pic of my favorite 5w. Note No Chop...

Attached Files:

25. Terry D

Terry D
    from NY

I think 3 windows look best unchopped,5 windows with 2 inch max,1 inch is cool.But that is just my opinion.If it matters,I really like hinges and handles too!!!

26. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

Chop the fuck out of it!
    Here is a rendering example.
    This thing is bitchin.
    Head room is relative to the seating arrangement.
    Driveshaft tunnels make nice armrests.
    [​IMG]

27. Little chop looks cool.

28. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

Not everything on the planet needs to be chopped. When every deuce has been chopped there will be guys asking how to un-chop one. Stock height tops stand out in a crowd of guys who have no more imagination than to follow the trend. Be different!

29. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

30. Flatdog

Flatdog
    Member Emeritus