Register now to get rid of these ads!

Side window installation on a '59, need help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BlackFlag, Mar 2, 2007.

1. BlackFlag

BlackFlag

Alright, I finally got around to cleaning up the window frames, installing the glass into the frame and sourcing regulator rollers. Now my question is, how am I supposed to get the regulator back far enough to slide the window in and pop the rollers onto the regulator?

Theres no way I can fit my hand into the crack to pull it back and there arent any convinently placed holes in the door with the exception of a rectangle that wouldnt give me enough leverage to pull the regulator back far enough.

For any further clarification, this is the drivers side glass of a '59 Ford Galaxie 2 dr HT no post. Is there some tool that will make my life a hell of a lot easier or do I have to tough it out? I know, some of you are asking "why would you need a window during summer, its just going to be down the entire time" and the only reason is for those freak mid summer california rain storms. And Im about to get my interior re-done and would hate for the door panel to get wet and warp before I can thoroughly enjoy it.

2. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

Hmm.. I used to have a 59 but I can remember exactly how we did it. There isn't 2 big holes in the bottom of the door? Usually you just have to crank the window regulator down all the way and slip it in the track. If there arn't holes in the bottom can you crank it all the way up and put the window in from the top? Just some thoughts maybe someone else knows exactly what to do, maybe I was a little help, maybe not either way good luck...

3. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

Pull the vent window and division bar out, install the door glass, then put the vent back in. Easy.

4. Hell I can put a 59 glass in without removing the door panel. I don't recomend you try though.
    You don't have to remove the regulator or the Vent
    pull those wire clips off the rollers. the metal rollers have two beveled washers then the spring then the flat washer then the clip. after you get the rollers of the regulator. put them in the grooves on the glass retaining channel. drop the glass into the door tipping it back a little the clear the vent slide it down to the regulator and push the the pins on the regulator thru the rollers till the clips lock in the groove and put the damn door panel back on! your done now

5. BlackFlag

BlackFlag

I tried doing it from the regulator in full up position, tipping window back, ect. I have the distinct feeling that the regulator is slightly bent. I need to pull it back at least 4" before it will clear the window frame and pop into the rollers. Ill go ahead and try out full down and then removing the wing window. After a 4 month hiatus without this place, Im glad to be back.

6. rollers on the and window down to the bottom. push the pins thru the rollers