Register now to get rid of these ads!

3 Window barn find, what's it worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by metalman, Mar 3, 2007.

1. metalman

metalman

I recently met this elderly lady who tells me about this old car she needs to get rid of, turns out it's a 35 Ford 3 Window! Say's her late husband bought it in 57, had it painted in the late 60's, been parked (not started) since early 70's. I had a friend check it out, he say's it's bone stock, all there and in really good condition considering it's never been restored other then paint and new seat covers. He didn't get new pics but brought me 2 photos, one from 57 and one from just after it was painted grey.I want it but stuggling with the asking price, seems outragous to me but maybe I'm still stuck in the past. I do know these are hard to find in this condition. I don't know if she's been watching Barrett-Jackson or what but she's asking $30,000, have no idea how firm she is. Is she out in left field or am I? 35-1.jpg

35-2.jpg

2. Maybe you should have been watching Barrett-Jackson then you'd know that is not a bad deal, not a Steel but not Bad. Try finding 4 more to compair it to. Probably can't do it in the next year.
    The Wizzard

3. i would say it's kinda high but not insane. for a 3w in (as it looks) straight condition and unmolested i would say 20-25k isn't outta line.

4. AHotRod

AHotRod

In my opinion, I would'nt pay anything near that price.
    It's a stocker, you can buy Rods for less than that.

But, if you want a gennie-stocker....then you'll have to pay it.

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. metalman

metalman

I know I can buy a hot rod for that much but they more often then not they have the wrong stuff for what I want, ie: mustang II, billit SBC, auto ect. Not wanting a stocker but a VERY traditional 40's style custom, dressed flatty, toploader and such. I know I'd throw away as much on the average streetrod as I would on this one and spend a lot of time and $$ finding the parts they threw away to build a street rod.

6. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I would say it is worth around $20,000 but half of the battle is finding a nice one like this. $30,000 seems high. Maybe split the difference.

Neal

7. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Picture it skirted, dark maroon, white tuck n roll, dropped in the rear and simple. The 3W is the holy grail of 35's and 36's and is in some eyes one of the most gorgeous cars ever produced. She may be asking 30k, but I bet if you made friends with her, talked to her for a while and explained you would give it a good home, you could own it for a lot less. She may be testing you, she may be firm on the dough too. Sounds like she knows what she has. Bring 200 Ben Franklins, lay 'em on the hood and see what happens!! Someone will own that car and you will kick yourself in the rear 5 years from now when they are 75k or whatever they go to. Probably isn't going to depreciate! Tim :)

8. walk up with $ 20k in your hand and see what she does. amazing what can influence a sale. a pile of cash leaves their head spinning.

9. metalman

metalman

Geez, dude, you a mind reader or somethin? Exactly how I picture it, even planned on maroon, got to be chopped though. I'd be OK with 20K for sure.

10. Burny

Burny

Nice find! I agree, walk up with cash and see how quick she takes it. If you chop it, make sure it's max 2"...any more and it loses proportions- my $.02

11. 28chevrat

28chevrat

30 seems pretty high, but I see bodies in worse condition go for like 10K on the other site..... I also agree 20-25k is not bad, money talks take 20k cash to her and see waht happens...good luck and keep us posted...

12. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Not a mind reader, it's just how I am building my chopped 36 5W, was going to do it black, now rethinking that. 16's, Salad bowl flippers, built flattie & a toploader, straight pipes, skirts, and a touch of chrome here and there inside. No striping, just simple, organic and period. Can't wait to get it on the road!
    As they said, don't overdo the chop, you will lose proportion and that's a big deal on the body style.
    Sometimes a nice glass of lemonade at the kitchen table is a good deal maker too. Chill out, make friends, buy the car. If ya don't get it done, at least you will have a new friend, but I bet you WILL get it done.

13. metalman

metalman

Guess what it really boils down to is we have the same taste in cars. Don't worry, I agree with you guys on the chop, proportion in what is's all about, they look too tall stock but it can easily go the other way. Ask my customers, I always try to talk them out of a radical chop, too many think more is better. Good luck with your 36, love to see pics sometime.

14. Ebert

Ebert

I don't think you can tell--you are looking at one picture from 1957 and one from who knows when. I would encourage you to go seek it with $20K in your hands and see what happens. She seems high in more ways than one to me...

15. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Theres just too many hot rods out there for those prices. I guess it just depends on how bad you want it. Dont forget..you'll be putting another 10,000 to 20 in it to get where you want it.
    Id be more than tempted at 20.

16. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Sounds like a 60 yr old woman is trying to molest you. Is her name Mrs. Robinson?

17. -old car price guide is ?
    -10 time the original price is ?
    -what is she driving now ? replace it with ? and swap titles
    -show her that the auction $ is for a total restoration and a restoration of this car will cost ?
    -bring the wife and kids and tell her its for the family

if you can not justify the price now
    figurin the value over say.. 10 years walk away

18. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

Drive up in a nice new Malibu and trade titles straight across. Put a bunch of Wal-Mart coupons on the passenger seat.

She'll want it.

19. That spare tire ring isn't orig. to the car. Make sure she knows that. I'm with the group. Bring 20k and if she doesn't bite I would go 25k. I paid that for my 36 3-window a few years ago and turned down 35 last year. I'll have my son post a pic. I can't figure it out.

20. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

thats kinda my thinking too.

21. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Let me start out saying I have NEVER owned a 35 -36 Ford 3W ...
    But I believe that the 35 -36 3W coupes are a lot like 32 Fords ...

You never pay too much ... You just buy too soon ... :D

Quite a few messed up, clapped out generally ruint cars out there ... decent old original steel Fords in a desirable body style are bringing the ca$h ... :(
    All you have to do is STEP UP ...

When I bought my 32 Ford 3W ... I really thought I paid too much. Less than 2 months later I turned down a good profit on it ... from a guy I know has the $$$ ...

You will regret not trying to get it ...

23. Howrod

Howrod

Worth vs. Afford vs. Want
    You'll regret it if you don't check it out in person.
    Are you buying to sell or because it's a life-long dream? Some of us will spend more money to live the dream...at least once before we die.

24. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

I agree... because i reseached these for awhile and 20K seems very fair for that car. What i have learned over my life, is if you really have your heart set on something, you have to cash... then go for it. too many times people pass things up because of wanting to get something at the lowest price possible/deal and in the end they miss out and regret it later. 3W's are very desireable/rare and like the others said, this car will only appreciate. Cash in hand always has more pull than quoting an offer anytime.

offer 20 ... but bring 25!

good luck with the deal.

25. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

The car seems solid from those 2 pics.
    35's aren't exactly my faves but still a good unit.
    Here is what happens with this type of deal.
    You think that you're paying too much?? You play the waiting
    game, a Vulture comes up while you're debating this issue and snatches it up. Done deal-car gone! Regret sets in.
    When are you going to find another that clean for that price that has a history of an owner back to 57.
    If she wants $30k find a few more for compairisons, I can say that I don't think that you'll find a better deal because all of sudden people think that tin is worth as much as gold.
    If you want it bad enough,just step up.

26. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

If you think its not too bad a price then go for it, just think of the chances of finding another good original one. in a couple of years it will be worth the xtra $$$. if the flatty engine isnt up to par just get a good runnin chevy an bolt it in, then put on some hydralic brakes, wire it to 12v and go cruising. then you can build the flathead up. I,m still kickin myself for lettin my buddy,s deuce sedan get away.

27. apparently every one here drives a new car and replaces it every year ....;)..
    i don't own one .. never have bought new car ever...

sheeese an initial outlay for a nice old car is money ahead ..it surprises me as to what your dream hot rod should be worth..
    are we not talkin about a lifetime / loved hot rod here ...
    if you can not afford it stay home
    if you can work it out and you keep it say 15 years ..
    thats 2 grand a year $166. a month ...40 and change a week(beer money)
    can you afford this hobby ?...

really chep old cars are destined to be loooong projects
    there is a lot of grumbling about deep pockets ..
    as said in other posts .... .
    play or pass it to someone who can..
    and yes the vultures are circling now that the smell of death is in the air.
    buy it and sell off the other stuff ..
    move into a cheaper house
    get a another job

approach her with a cash and a kind word ... dinner and ?

good luck
    paperdog

28. metalman

metalman

Thanks all, I appreciate the imput. Confirms my gut feeling, car is probably worth 20K easy, any more it's a got to have it price. I always wanted a 35/36 3 window and this ones perfect for what I want and not easy to find like this but... there's a lot of cars on my want list. I'll feel her out as soon as I can put the funds together, not gonna talk without backing it up with ready cash. I'll keep ya'll posted

29. [ I'll feel her out as soon as I can put the funds together, not gonna talk without backing it up with ready cash. I'll keep ya'll posted[/quote]

PLEASE NOTE
    do not feel her out with cash in hand !
    whole diff crime there buddy?
    can't get that scene outa my head ..... help:rolleyes:
    paperdog