Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kansas ghost town with neat gas pumps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by povertyflats, Feb 28, 2007.

1. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Traveled to a ghost town yesterday in Kansas with a population of 10. Only access to town is dirt roads. Here are some photos.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      70.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      73.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      64.5 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      69.3 KB
      Views:
    • 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      65.8 KB
      Views:
  2. lewislynn

lewislynn

Now you've done it.
    After posting those photos and their location those signs and old gas pumps won't be there long

3. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Well if you want to go there, one resident told me there was a bed and breakfast that is used seasonally by hunters. She said you have to make your own breakfast!! Made me wonder who makes the bed?

4. AHotRod

AHotRod

WoW..... I never thought that there may be real Ghost-towns still around now-a-days.

5. I'd really worry about those 10 people that live there (Deliverence?). Seems they'd welcome the attempt.They're probably left out there as bait. LOL. Cool town though, i dig it

6. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Here is a photo of the road leading out of town. The 55 MPH speed limit seems very generous considering it's just a dirt road. Seems like folks are in a hurry to leave this place.

Attached Files:

• 7.JPG
      7.JPG
      File size:
      61 KB
      Views:
  7. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Here is a photo of the old bench in front of the general store. Probably used to be a good place to drink a coke and tell lies about fast cars and loose women.

Attached Files:

• 6.JPG
      6.JPG
      File size:
      59.5 KB
      Views:
  8. N.O.M.A.D.

N.O.M.A.D.

That's 55 hours per mile!

9. 55 hours per "mule"?

10. MoPer38

MoPer38

He has a point... Frankly, it would be best if this thread was deleted. It will be a shame when the place is destroyed by looters and vandals. That place looks like a time warp. One could even say an archaeological site....Hate to see it disappear

11. That's not a bad looking dirt road. It's the ones with the grass growing in the middle you need to slow down on. Don't any of you ever drive dirt roads? I've had a lot of fun exploring off the beaten path dirt roads in the coupe. Last deer season I was exporing a seldom used dirt road with plenty of grass in the middle. Saw a number of tree stands with hunters who weren't impressed with the coupe's rumble. :)

12. bohlsd

bohlsd

I think you're on to something. I don't think I would want to get crossways with the natives.

13. 067chevy

067chevy

Isn't life in middle America grand. There are a few of places just like that here in Nebraska, Kansas, Colorado. Bet you couldn't get out of town with that gas pump or the sign

14. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Your right, I live in a small town, very small in Ks, you don't think we see, but we do. LOL.:D

15. Yeah, the term "Neighborhood Watch"....takes on a whole differnt tone here in the midwest.:D .....Everyone is armed to the teeth here,and they just love an excuse to shoot!.

I live in a small town that is about all but gone,but the folks who live here do watch out for their neighbors.
    A Hamber left here one night late with a load of model aA and T parts and was stopped within ten miles and asked where thet load came from.....by a local resident/county deputy at about midnight!

16. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

Looks like a great spot for a photo shoot

17. Was there a Wax museum there?

18. does that hapen to be doniphan kansas ?

19. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

no wax museum and not doniphan. sorry.

20. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

The electric gas pump is a Gilbarco 96. Weighs about 300 with the pump inside. It's from the late 30's. The gravity is a Gilbert and Baker -176. About the same weight. Circa 1925.

21. kinda reminds me of the movie: "the hills have eyes" or better yet: "race with the devil" mmm! tenderloin babys!

22. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

And the rifle sticking out the window is a winchester circa 1958. LOL:D :eek:

23. Midnight340

Midnight340

For what it's worth, you guys are right about people watching closely even when you think no one is around. I grew on a farm (with a working gravity feed gas pump in the front yard!) near several towns like this...the towns are still like this, people still really keep an eye on things. Oh, and those hard packed dirt roads are good for a helluva lot more than 55 mph!!!

24. I define ghost town as having zero residents, i.e. dead. I'm thinking you mean a town with 10 residents and zero business.

25. Midnight340

Midnight340

26. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

This town does not even have a sign telling you where you are. It's not on the map. There is no post office. They do have a thriving cemetary though. That's why I called it a ghost town.

27. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Coastal people think that you just "go" to these old towns. They're not exactly close to the main roads. I doubt a bunch of thieves will get there from a few pics on the net, but conspire away.

Kansas : miles and miles, of miles and miles.

28. Old Gas Pumps are as common as Gost Towns, It's like they have to be there. The Gold Rushes of the Old West left behind many Ghost Towns. As for pumps, check out OldGas.com. And thought you might enjoy a pick from a private Ghost Town I was restoring.

Attached Files:

29. guiseart

guiseart

Oh no, you've lived amongst creeps too long... this is Kansas... that town has survived more than a hundred years & the gas pumps probably 70-80 years... we've got towns like this avery twenty miles. Good photo ops.

30. Kansas, 82,264 sq, miles. Population about 2,688,000, most of that is in the eastern 1/3 of the state. That leaves a lot of ground to cover to look for a few signs.
    And my grandparents in Wichita know everything that goes on in their neighborhood, don't think anyone could could just waltz off with those signs or pumps without any locals knowing about it.