Register now to get rid of these ads!

50 Ford trans swap in time for Round Up. Advice? Help?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by extremist, Feb 6, 2007.

1. extremist

extremist

Guys, I've seen a couple of threads on this... but I still could use some advice. I have a 302 and c4 in my 50 ford. I swapped the original rear with a 9" locker with 3.70:1 ratio, because I always planned to put in an AOD.

Now the round up is coming, I want the AOD in before then. I am usually a one-man show in the garage, kids, etc. mean my time is available in short spurts. I could probably get some help with the heavy lifting/alignment part if needed.

What's the likelihood that I'll be able to do this in my garage, with the car on jackstands, with a trans jack, by myself? Assuming I can get the trans UNDER the car (which I haven't yet determined)?

Am I really better off pulling the motor and then putting both it and the trans back in as one unit? Still easier if I don't pull the radiator/grill off?

Can I do it without pulling the motor? Could the motor be tilted on the mounts to make it easier to bolt the trans up?

I need a little confidence building advice. Last year my car wasn't ready for the roundup until about 2 months late. I don't want to be on the garage crawl with the motor howling at 50 mph.

I've done this by myself with a 4-speed Muncie in a truck, but these AODs are frigging heavy!!

If there are any Austin/Round Rock-area HAMBers who actually enjoy this type of abuse and want to offer a hand, let me know!! Beer and food on me!

Thanks.

2. mustangsix

mustangsix

Last time I did this with an AOD was in my garage, by meself, in my Mustang. I jacked the car way up, rolled the tranny under the car on a jack, and then spent the next five hours cursing than heavy bastard!:mad: I just don't have enough ass to lift and wrench something that big into the engine. Finally gave up and pulled the trans back out frm under the car.

I lowered the car, pulled the engine, hooked up the trans, and plugged it into the car as a unit. Even by myself I had it reinstalled in just a couple of hours.

If pulling the engine is not a big deal, and you have to do it alone, that's the way to go, IMO.

3. I "think" I read that an AOD would not fit with out modifying the floor pan and tranny hump. You probably want to take some measurments before you start. Also, you should try to find at least one other person to help if you are going to do it with the engine in place.

4. extremist

extremist

I'm here to report that, indeed, the AOD won't fit without cutting both the hump and the floor pan, at least with my 302 mounts where they are.
    No problemo. Moving the trans crossmember back ~2 inches is a bigger deal anyway, since the frame is wider there, and the xmember no longer will mount flush on each side. I gotta lotta holes to drill. The floor repair is a good excuse to get off my ass and buy that welder and brake.