Register now to get rid of these ads!

Different ways to open your doors with shaved handles?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53dodgekustom, Feb 25, 2007.

1. 53dodgekustom

53dodgekustom

I am going to shave my door handles on my 53 Dodge. It still has the stock latches and 6v system.

I did a search and found stuff on using six volt starter selaniods (bad speller).

Any ideas on using this system or others? I would like to go the cheapest route possible.

Couldn't I get a Ford 6v selanoid and put it on the inside of the door to push the original button that the door handle pressed and then run the relay to a button on the rocker?

Door Latch

[​IMG]

Post latch

[​IMG]

Door handle mechanism

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

I had a buddy that replaced the door handles/rods with the chrome smooth door locks knobs/rods. He shaved the doors then drilled a small hole for the chrome knob in the top of the door next to the glass and ran the rod down to where the original handle rod would have went. The installed a keyless entry. Looked pretty cool, they were not very noticeable.

3. Sloppyseconds

Sloppyseconds
    from Pasadena

Well on my 52 Hudson, I just broke the worm gear for the wing vent, so when I wanted to get in, I would just push one side of the vent and reach in....Hows that for cheap!

4. 53dodgekustom

53dodgekustom

Yeah, thought about that but mine has a latch and I want to be able to leave it in a parking lot without to much worry. Plus it seems kind of GHETTO.:eek: But it's your car not mine.

5. Nekronomicon

Nekronomicon

Maiki has a similar thing to sloppyseconds but he has a lock on the vent window. I havent seen it but I think lowsquire set it up. Very cheap and smart I think-

6. 53dodgekustom

53dodgekustom

How do you put a lock on the outside of the window?

7. if you don't want to leave your vent windows unlocked (that's what I do)
    you can run a cable from the original door latch out through the door and cowl, and have it pull under the fender.

8. studhud

studhud

An alternative to electric solenoids is lincoln push buttons no hassles no wiring, nothing to break. Cant lock the door though LTR Dave

9. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

In my old ford i drilled a small hole right where the old push button. and put a Allen key on my key chain. the whole was hard to notice from affar and worked great. and if i forgot the keys in the car a stick on the ground worked too

10. Tito

Tito
    from Sacramento

The locks they use in stores that have glass-doored display cabinets (like for video games, jewelry, etc)
    could probably be made to work somehow on a vent wing window.
    Tito

11. Yeps that's what i used...if you can't drill the glass do what i did. I ran 4mm perspex in one quarter vent. No way to tell it's not glass and it's a simple 'no way it can fail' entry method...barely visible too. Switched back to the glass and employed a 'smarter' system (hush hush) now....hehe

Maiki

12. Ole Pork

Ole Pork

I been mulling over using a solenoid from electric trunk openers, and putting the buttons in the gas tank door ( or anywhere else out of sight) on my '51 chev. Should work, and the buttons are hid..........Ole Pork

13. Idea i've always aimed for is solenoids that pop up and 'lock' the 1/4 vent window. Loads of room under most 1/4 vents for a solenoid. Once the lock is "unlocked" and out of the way, swing open 1/4 vent and enter car..

14. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i used a magnetic switch , it fit in the weather stripping (inside the window) . i had a magnet on my key chain , just held it up to the window and presto ...the door popped open .

15. phat rat

phat rat

I've got power windows and I open them with a remote reach in and open the door

16. 53dodgekustom

53dodgekustom

Yes, I know all of these solutions with door poppers work great, but I have 6 volt. I think I will start looking for a six volt stater relay. Is the Ford six volt the same set up as the 12 volt. ( Remote relay) Bc 12 volt Dodge and GM were on the starter.

17. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

you use the solenoid off of the strater. mount it inside the door with a cable or rod running to where the inside handle atches to the door latch. do not connect it to the rod from inside handle or you will have to over come the handle spring stregnth.