Register now to get rid of these ads!

This sure ruined my day

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54BOMB, Feb 23, 2007.

1. LasVegasDirtyBird

LasVegasDirtyBird
    from las vegas

i just realized all my cars EXCEPT my sled have extinguishers in them!!! i need another!

2. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

3. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

Sorry to see and hear about that. My caddy caught fire 2 years ago from one of the old glass bowl fuel filters...luckily mine was contained to the engine compartment and hood. Even if I did have an extinguisher at the time I wouldn't have used it...burning fuel is never anything I want to be close to! Good luck with the car and the insurance company...

4. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Thanks for all the kind words. I dont know what I will be doing with the car untill the claims guy shows up monday. Im very greatfull I didnt get hurt and I didnt burn up someones lawn or worse.

5. 1954HCCA

1954HCCA
    from LA

Sorry to see that,glad your ok.

6. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Glad you're okay. Hope you can fix it and get it back on the road soon.

7. Dirk35

Dirk35

WOW! Good to hear your and any passengers you might have had are safe. Sorry about the car man! That is devastating!

In the past twleve years, Ive put out one car fire with an extinguisher and one with a bottle of Dr. Pepper that I shook up with thumb over the top. I also put out my garage wall with two of the home extinguishers.

Why the hell do I not have a extinguisher in each car? I got two in the garage and two in the kitchen. I am stupid! I gotta go to the store.............................

8. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

dude... thats heartbreaking.... i feel yer pain.

9. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

That shit right there is what is all about.Very cool, Rob

10. J.D.

J.D.
    from Clovis, CA

Wow, Brett that sucks bad, I am sorry just don't forget at least your okay

11. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Don't know what I've got left but I have a pile of parts from my 54 Bel Air project. Make a list and I'll help how I can. I've got a hood that isn't too aweful, 1/2 54 and 1/2 53 so you can play and fill it. I've got a full dash still in the car.

If insurance fux you, I'm in to help. If insurance doesn't, I'm still in.

12. titus

titus

that sucks, i feel for ya, i got to watch my buddys freshly finished (i helped out alot on it) 67 el camino burn, luckily it was cold out, the windows were up and the hood was shut, the fire died out soon but flared when the fire dept opened the hood, but they put it out right away, in the end it wasnt as bad as we thought, no major body damage except for the hood, we ended up gutting the interior only to get rid of the burnt smokey smell.

good luck

jeff

13. 54BOMB

54BOMB

All the guys who offered to help I really appreciate it, alot! When I get the news from the insurance co. Ill let you know.

14. rodknocker

rodknocker

15. flathead okie

flathead okie

Had a 68 Javelin burn. The clear plastic fuel filter cracked and pumped fuel all over the engine. Fire extenquisher didn't work.
    Did you have your air filter on it??

16. ROADRAT EDDIE

ROADRAT EDDIE
    from New york

The extinguisher didn't work {defective} or didn't work on the fire?

17. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Damn, that sucks.

Did you have an air cleaner on it?

18. smalltownspeed

smalltownspeed

Just a few thoughs... Its all pretty basic stuff, but that you might not have thought of before.
    An extinguisher is a good idea... If youve got a pretty good fire under the hood, dont try to open the hood. Thats just asking for burns, and giving more oxygen to the fire... Halon is ideal, but dry chem works good too, is more readily avaliable, and cheeper. Just a thought, you could try getting the agent(halon, dry chem) into the compartment through the grill/radiator. I havent tried it yet, but want to first chance I get.
    Im not sure what to say on that electric fuel pump, if it just kept fueling the fire, you wouldnt have been able to get it with a small extinguisher in street clothes anyways. How was the fuel pump wired up?

Just a few basic prevention ideas...
    Theres a reason its called a firewall... Try not to have any more holes than need, and no larger than needed.
    Make sure and keep grease build up to a minimum even if its a driver/beater... Thats just less fuel for the fire...

19. Sorry about your car, man. I've been there, too... and glad you're alright.

Fire sucks...

It looks like your headliner did most of the interior damage, huh? I was happy that I had most of my interior out, including the seats, when my coupe went up with the garage. The less flamable stuff the better for me, now.

Looks like all your guages are out, too. If those are still on your bench, that'll speed the rebuild. Then it's mostly just paint and wires. and hoses. They always look alot better when they're cleaned up after a fire. For sure, leave it alone until the adjustor looks at it.

So, today got pretty fucked but don't let it ruin tomorrow. Get it cleaned up and have some fun with the insurance cash... and be thankful because you can. I bet that poor guy that burned in that model-A awhile back would have liked to.

...and get that backfire fixed.

JOE:cool:

20. Zeke

Zeke

Fuck the car.. dude you are alive. Sorry about your loss and all, but you live on to fix it or build another and that is what matters

21. rixrex

rixrex

10-4 put out a shopping list of stuff you are going to have to replace, I have a few things too....

22. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Glad your okay dude. I wish I had some 54 parts to send you.

23. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Dam that is some bad luck.

24. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

you can get another car- glad YOU are OK

25. vein

vein

at least you made it out okay! sorry about the car!

26. Big Tony

Big Tony

I been in a slightly similar situation but i was not running a hood at the time cause the motor was still new and i was out showing it off and it spit through the carb and had a flame about 10 inches high, Thanks god we had some cold beverages with us cause i just poured a budweiser in the carb to put it out. Buddy of mine that was with me said .... Ya know they make things to do that in a safer manor and its called a "FIRE EXTINGUISHER"

Glad your safe, its a hell of a bummer but cars can be rebiult.

27. shortyforty

shortyforty
    from NH

Glad you're OK.

I was wondering, as I was reading everyones response, is the oil for the K & N air filters flamable? I have them on the daily drivers but they have fuel injection and a long snorkel tube in between.

Been close to that situation a couple times, once in my buddies garage under the main house (1966) . No fire extinguisher but you never saw 2 guys push a car out of a garage in record time. Handfulls of snow put it out. luckily no damage to his brand new 301 SBC or the house.
    The one that scared me the most was out on a logging trail in Idaho looking for a place to camp (1979). The 65 Chevy van backfired and smoke started pouring out the engine cover. Popped the cover and flames shot up to the roof. Luckily this time I had a fire extinguisher I recently bought at a yard sale. What scared me in those first few seconds was not the van going up in smoke but the whole forest with me in it.
    Reminds me though, I better get some more extinguishers for the other rigs.

28. ill be gettin myself a fire extinguisher as soon as the engine is back in my car. hope everything works out dude.

29. Dude, Sorry to hear abou the car. We talked about your loss at the Duck Huddle Monday night. We all feel for you man. I hope you get that bad boy back on the road. Let us know if you need anything man.

30. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Holy shit, that sucks the big one. At least you're alright.