Register now to get rid of these ads!

'63 Galaxie power steering and suspension questions.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by spent, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Well, I finally set aside enough money to start working on the suspension on my Galaxie, but I've got some questions before I get started.

My plans are to bag it all the way around, and rebuild the front suspension, which is totally shot. I'll probably end up running Granada spindles and brakes. My first question is about the power steering. I hate the leaky, squirrly factory setup and I'm wondering what my options are for replacing it. There is a rack and pinion kit for early '60's Fords, but I imagine it's pretty pricey, and I'm working on a budget. Has anyone here swapped in a different PS setup? And if not, does anyone know of a good source for Galaxie suspension parts?

Also, I was planning to get a new set of Energy bushings for the frontend, but I was told they only make Ford bushings going back to '65. Does anyone know if '65 Galaxie bushings will work on my '63?

2. DrDano

DrDano
    Alliance Vendor

You can bolt in late 70's T-Bird front spindles for power disks up front, those might be a bit easier to find than a Granada setup. I got my front rebuild kit from Kanter, very happy with how the car handles even with the factory front sway bar. I've not heard of a PS swap, but would be interested if someone has one because the stock pumps are $$$!

3. The 75-78 Torino, Elite, Ranchero Tbird etc, front disc spindles are supposed to be the "best match" bolt on for these cars. I have installed them on a few with no lower balljoint taper fit problems associated with the Granada setup.

The rack and pinion sets are very expensive. So stick with what is there. The whole control valve and cylinder rebuilt with new hoses and pump would be a fraction of the cost.

The Eaton style pumps are on alot of Fords and Mercs of that era. Not so rare and so much $$ as you think.

4. lgh1157

lgh1157

P-S-T sell a really good kit for the front end, its around $225, includes ball joints, tie rod ends, upper and lower control arm bushings, sway bar end links and bushings etc. I've used it on my old 63 Galaxie.

I recently read in a rod and custom about a P.S swap [ forget which one ] , but as far as know they all leak. If you see a mustang and look under it, it will be leaking ahahahahah. Pretty ugly set-up, rebuilding the control valve and replacing the hoses are really the only thing you can do. When that set up is working and not leaking it is fine :D

Also, for the disc brake swap check out Skarebird.com, they have bolt on brackets that go straight on the OG spindle, i heard some pretty good reports from some other Galaxie guys. I've heard about some problems with the Granada, Tbird swap, i guess once everything is done some guys have run into issues after trying to get an alignment, something about the upper part of the spindle rubbing.

5. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

The R&P kit is pricey. I've got one of those R&P units I got from Pick-A-Part for about 25 bucks, that has an attachment point right in the middle, instead of a tierod out of each end. I'm planning on adapting it to my '62 some day. Might have to run a different pump. If you feel adventurous, try adapting an R&P unit in there yourself, although messing around with the steering in your car isn't something to take lightly. I've heard and read that the late '70's T-Bird spindles are a direct bolt-on for '57-'64 Fords too, but I'm running a set of Fatman's 2" dropped spindles & Granada brakes. This wasn't a direct bolt-on like I thought it would be. I remember having to machine down the area near where the brakehoses thread into the calipers so they wouldn't hit when turning, and my car being bagged, when I set it down, the rotors would bind on the bottom control arms big time! I wound up having to machine almost an inch off of the rotor's diameter. Here's another thing too, because of the shape of the Galaxie's inner fender wells, your tires will rub on the backs of 'em every time you hit a bump. I wound up just taking mine out ala 'stock-car' style. I'll tell you what though, my '62 rides like a dream on bags, even when very low, just make sure you run shocks with 'em. That's my $ .02.

6. Hey thanks a bunch, guys. I'll check P-S-T and Kanter for my frontend crap. Still not sure what I'll do on the spindles/disks. I've thought of going with the Fatman Granada spindles, as well as the T-bird ones, but I'll have to look into the Skarebird setup. I'd love to aviod all the clearence problems and extra machining.

desertratrodder- Would you happen to have a source for rebuilt control valves and cylinders? I think I'll take all of your advice and steer [no pun intended] clear of the R&P kit.

sandfordsotherson- What kind of air setup are you running, and how low are you sitting? I've heard early Galaxies can be a pain to lay out, and I want mine on the ground. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks again.

7. I recently put a set of shock waves from air ride tech. on the front ofa 63 galaxie. Easy job to install,they work well,the car gets really low. The problem is the power steering,the controll valve and hoses are the lowest thing on the front of the car. we had some new hoses made but no way could we get them much higher.

8. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I'm currently going through a rebuild on the front end of my '62 - using the PST kit: http://www.p-s-t.com/ford/fofekstd.html I'm very happy w/ the PST suspension stuff (used their brake rebuild kit a couple years ago and the brake shoes SUCK! - the brake material is delaminating from the shoe) Anyways.....
    I'm also using the Granada spindle/brake setup and will know within the next week or two what clearance problems there might be. The Granada master cylinder bolts right up to the factory holes/studs.
    I have manual steering w/ a rebuilt steering gear.
    However - I DO have a rebuilt PS slave cylinder that I would sell you - never been used - also have the Eaton pump rebuild kit I'd sell you - might have a new hose or two, also.
    I installed the Air Ride Technologies "Cool Ride" front kit and air-over-leaf in the back.
    I will add some more info and photos later - have to go for now.

Good luck w/ your '63 - post some pics, if you can!

Malcolm

9. check out fordmuscle.com there is a forum on the website that is just for galaxies. helped me out alot while building my 64 galaxie 500. pm me and let me know what you think about the website. total help on most fords

10. Horsepower67

Horsepower67

11. chopndrop

chopndrop

I have Granada spindles on my 64 and no clearence problems. I was have problems aligning it untill I got a front a-arm stabilier bar from Greag Donahue (sp). Those guys know there 63-64 Galaxies!

12. lgh1157

lgh1157

These are 2 posts you should read, first one talks about the granada swap, second post talks about the skarebird kit, this site is great and is where i spend alot of my time, really nice people, mostly older "stock" galaxie guys and gals, they have helped me out alot.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/ga...h-the-disc-brake-swap_48319.html?word=trouble

http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/ga...ebird-brake-mounts_57506.html?word=brake+swap

Malcolm - how are you finding the AOV leaf set-up ? any issues ? problems ?

L

13. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

we can help, have some pix here of the 60-68 setup.

14. Thanks again guys. Could any of you guys running bags post some pics of your cars? I'd like to see where your setups have gotten you. The power steering is still my biggest worry. It being the lowest point on the car is a whole new concern.

Hilo hotrodder- who made your new hoses and how much $$$ did it set you back? The shock waves are pretty tempting for the front, but I hear they're pretty pricey, and I already have a set of Slam Specialties bags. Not sure what to do.

Malcolm- keep me posted, I'd be glad to hear what I'm going to be up against. I may well be hitting you up about buying those parts. Thanks a bunch. I'll post some pics once I make some progress.

scarebird- I'll probably be getting in touch with you shortly.

Crap, I've gotta run, but I'll post a few more ???'s when I get some time.

15. lgh1157

lgh1157

Because those control valves were used on alot of the 60's mustangs, there is alot of parts stores that get them rebuilt, i had mine done for $100, you can also buy the kit to rebuild em for $60ish. BEWARE when removing the ball stud from the pitman arm, you can damage the valve very easily, you need to get a "tie rod end puller", it looks like a small pitman arm remover but it has a salt and pepper shaker look to it.

As far as bags go, it sounds like alot of guys are running the AOV. Here is a link to a pretty detailed 4 link, subframe thingy. Pretty nice work, but i think a bit over the top.

I have alot of pics of AOV, 2 link and 4 linked galaxies, this link has all you need for the 4 though :

http://www.murraykustomrods.com/1964fordgalaxie.html

L

16. Spent We had them made at a local autoparts/machine shop here in Hilo ,I think about 40$. If you look at how it works and moves where the hoses threads Into the control valve you can get the hose up a bit but the valve itself is more or less under the other steering componets.This car had Jamco coils up front and was to low to drive around here. We put the shock waves in to jack it up. One reason was we saw the wear on the brand new ps hoses. I think bag it and and get rid of the PS either manual or R/P.

17. Okay, I think I'm starting to see what direction I'm going to be heading. I talked to my boss [who is going to be helping me out on this] a little and ran everything I learned here by him. He thinks the way to go is to swap in a r&p setup out of something else and use the scarebird disk conversion.

Does anyone have any ideas for a good donor r&p setup?

lgh1157- thanks for the link, that's along the lines of what I'm going for. I'll have to eyeball those pics for a while. Looks like that '64 lays out without tubs in back too, so if it can do it with those billets, the 14's I want to run should be no problem for clearance.

Another question for you guys: does anyone know what kind of clearence probs. I'm going to have running those SS bags up front? They're bulkier than the 'Stones, and clearance looks pretty tight.

Thanks again guys for sharing the knowledge.

18. DrDano

DrDano
    Alliance Vendor

I was turned away from the idea of ShockWaves on my Galaxie because of the lack of travel they have, only 5" or so. You can get nearly double that from the regular bags. Something to think about before you drop the bones for the shockwaves.

19. lgh1157

lgh1157

I actually went and saw 390kid's 62 Galaxie today to see his bag set up.

Its a 2 link, panhard, sleeve bags behind the axle, using the O.G front leaf spring pocket and keeping the U bolts. He said he has been running this set up for 8 years with a big 390 in there.

Front bags were sitting in the lower control arms, i think they were firestone 2500's with a upper bag cup only, he said he had to do a little grinding on the lower arm.

Im pretty sold on this set up.

L