Register now to get rid of these ads!

dual quad intake question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cadillactramp, Feb 20, 2007.

1. cadillactramp

cadillactramp

i had this idea today at work for my olds 371. i wanna throw on a dual quad intake, but have one carb hooked up to the gas pedal, and the other hooked up to like a "choke" or a lever, that i could pull to give it gas. in theory, i'd be able to just drive around with one carb, and when i want the extra juice, pull the lever/choke. no real purpose, just something different.

is there any way that this could actually work? or would i just be flooding the motor by dumping gas from 2 carbs at 2 different times?

thanks

chris

2. Da' Bomb

Da' Bomb

Just use a progressive linkage....

3. BinderRod

BinderRod

If you go to the NTBA they talk about just using just one carb of the two. They also talk about progressive linkage.

4. cadillactramp

cadillactramp

cool thanks alot. :)

5. As said, just use progressive linkage.

Edelbrock makes a very nice one.

A choke cable or similar to operate the secondary carb strikes me as being very dangerous.
    The dangerous part being the somewhat instantaneous "getting off the throttle" bit when required.

Nothing will be gained by an alternative throttle application system....

6. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

You'd have to have a way to HOLD the throttle plate closed on the other carb - vacuum will try to pull it open, and then the idle circuit will provide fuel, and then....and then...

dj

7. cadillactramp

cadillactramp

i guess "choke" wasnt the right word. not as quick as a choke. more like a relocated second gas pedal. and im not trying to gain anything. i was just wondering if i could have a dual set up, but use one with the gas pedal, and the other with (let's say) dash mounted "gas pedal" simultaneously. (without damaging anything)

8. Here's another way to look at it.

Sometimes you have to do a bit of pedaling to control wheelspin.
    Lots easier to do it with one control - the throttle pedal - than with two.

You'll find that operating a multi-carb setup with progressive things can be pretty predictable since you can feel the other carb coming in as well as hearing/feeling when secondary tip-in on each carb happens.

9. cadillactramp

cadillactramp

i see what your sayin. thanks everyone. i think i can see progressive in my future.

10. 57wagon

57wagon

I guess it would also depend more on how your intake was configured,, would you be running 1/2 of the cylinders lean? When using the progressive linkage like I had on a 24 T the primary carb operated normally, when you applied more throttle, well the obvious happened..

Been a while since I had that setup, but I know both carbs were dumping fuel,, second one just DUMPED more when you wanted it..

Who knows maybe I'm just smoking crack now :)

11. Not to mention having both hands on the wheel with two four barrels open!
    All the cool kids are smoking crack.

12. cadillactramp

cadillactramp

this is true hehe