Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who's up for Hokey Ass Cookbook 2.0?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zeke, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Zeke

Zeke

I've been wanting to do another HAMBer recipe cookbook before I deploy again. I had a lot of fun doing the last one and now that I have a better idea of what I'm doing and more recipes of my own to add, I thought it was time to do it again. Zman and myself think that we might be able to squeeze one out by the 07 drags. Better quality book, including some of the old recipes and hopefully lots of new ones too. This one will be published though Lulu.com. This means you will be able to order from your local bookstore once we get it together. I'm hoping that this time the cookbook will be more profitable....Remember all money raised will go to help with the Hamb drags.

Thoughts and ideas are more than welcome.

Oh yeah we are gonna need new cover art..anyone up for a contest? InkFink's art will stay with Ver 1.0 which I hope to reprint with lulu.com as well.

[​IMG]

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Hell yeah.... fun, food and HAMB support...

3. bigolds

bigolds

Hey, we're pretty good at cookin up shit....I suppose we can throw a meal together too!!!!

4. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Hey Zeke...good to see yer still around...whatever happened to that Studie waygon gasser...???

R-

5. Zeke

Zeke

As soon as I get a new email set up I'll start taking recipes again.

Hey Roger,
    yeah I'm still here. busy busy cooking to the troops. As for the Stude I need to get it hauled up to TN from Radshit's place.. He held onto it when I went to the sandbox last year.

6. 38pickup

38pickup

Sounds good, I love to eat so there you have it...

7. Zeke

Zeke

Hmmm not much interest I guess.

8. 31Rodder

31Rodder

Cool, I just used the Hokey Ass Cookbook a few days ago and made Zekes Chicken Fried Steak, good stuff.
    I am up for a new one.

9. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

10. Zeke

Zeke

This one?

Chicken Fried Steak with Cracked black pepper Gravy

The quality of the beef is what really counts in this dish. Normally this recipe calls for cube steaks or tenderized round steak, but I love flank steak aka London broil for this. I slice the steak in half lengthwise so I have a thinner cut of meat. Then normally I cut the steaks into smaller portions then tenderize with the spine of my Chinese cleaver or you can use a mallet. When I wanna show off I just tenderize and cook the whole steak and then slice and plate on a platter then pour some gravy over it, then sprinkled with paprika and cracked black pepper

4 tenderized beef cutlets (your choice)
    1 egg
    1/4 cup milk
    all-purpose flour
    canola oil, enough to fill up to at least a 1/2 inch of the pan
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1/4 teaspoon of cayenne
    1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper

Beat together the egg and milk and set aside. Mix together the salt, black pepper, paprika, garlic powder and cayenne and season on both sides of beef cutlets then add the remainder to the flour.

Heat the cooking oil in a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet over medium-high heat for a few minutes. Oil should be about a half-inch deep in the pan. Check the temperature with a drop of water, if it pops and spits back at you, it's ready.

Dredge the cutlets in the flour, shaking off the excess. Then dip each cutlet in the egg/milk mixture, and then back in the flour.
    Carefully place each cutlet into the hot oil. Fry cutlets on both sides, turning once, until golden brown. Remove from heat. Drain cutlets. You now should have a lovely tender medium chicken fried steak

Cracked black pepper Gravy
    After the cutlets are removed from the pan, pour off all but about 2 tablespoons of oil, keeping as many as possible of the browned bits in the pan. Heat the oil over medium heat until hot.
    Sprinkle 3 tablespoons flour (use the left-over flour from the chicken fried steak recipe (You weren’t gonna throw that goodness away now were you?) in the hot oil. Stir, quickly, to brown the flour.
    Gradually stir in 2 1/2 cups milk and stirring constantly with a whisk and whisking out any lumps. (You can cheat and use a immersion blender if you have one ) Lower heat, and gravy will begin to thicken. Continue cooking and stirring a few minutes until gravy almost reaches desired thickness. Remember it’s gonna thicken more as it sits. Check seasonings and add more salt and cracked pepper according to taste. Add more milk if it gets too thick.

11. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I packet of 2 minute noodles.
    I pot boiling water.
    Add noodles to boiling water.
    Boil for two minutes.
    Drain and add flavor satchel.
    Eat (Not the pot)
    Yeah baby, head chef, bachelor pad from hell.

12. Zeke

Zeke

Me thinks that you landed on your head once or twice jumping outta planes

13. THE SPICY REDNECK........

ONE HOT DOG

ONE BUN

ONE STIP BACON

ONE SCOOP CHILI

ONE SLICE CHEESE

ONE SCOOP COLE SLAW

FIVE SLICES JALEPENO PEPPER

This should be served with a cold beer, and a large napkin.
    Enjoy!

14. 31Rodder

31Rodder

yep thats the one. I substituted chicken breast when I made it this time and it turned out great.

I am up for a new cookbook, I have used alot of the recipes out of the old one and there were alot of good ones to try. the memphis meatloaf with the southern glaze is great too that was submitted by Samantha.

15. LoungeLife

LoungeLife
    from Tulsa

1 frozen Quiktrip burrito
    1 Chevrolet smallblock (other motors may be substituted but cooking times may vary)
    place burrito on intake manifold, cook at 350 degrees for 4 minutes.

eat, wash down with beer, lots of beer

in fact, drink lots of beer before you attempt to eat burrito.

16. Hell, I'm in.

So...you're back?
    Coming to next months swap at Lanier Speedway?

17. rodknocker

rodknocker

food is good.
    cut up 2 lengths of polska kieboska into 1/4" pieces
    1 cup ketchup
    1 can of whole berry cranberries
    mix it all in a crock pot, set on high
    cook in a crock pot for 4-5 hrs, while you finish chopping your top!
    melts in your mouth
    good stuff

18. We had fun with the first book. The funds payed for the HAMB drags food the first year (the successfull smoked pig that everyone choses to forget!) Mine will get unpacked as we move into the new house.

19. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

I'm in. Chief cook and bottle washer around here.

20. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

sound good to me!

21. damn...i dont own a copy of the first one...and cant remember what recipies I sent in the first time....school me ZEKE...and get back to me ..I will send out as many as ya need.....!!

This reminds me...I need to finish my OWN cook book...damn I get lazy.....

22. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

I got a couple recipies to add...

mostly German based stuff...

im in for a cookbook.

Should be some good Grilling recipies in there for "tailgating" or camping at the runs...

23. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

aint seen ya over on the chat for a couple weeks!!!!stop by sometime homie!!!anywho, im in for a cookbook!!hell, id like to get vol. 1 also!!!who knows, we might end up with some HAMB items on out restaurant menu!!!;)

24. raffman

raffman

So how do we find version 1.0 ?
    I'd like to contribute, do you have a deadline? need some time to get my formulas down on print. I've got some speedway beans that are pretty famous locally.

25. ok...this is for either before, during, or after the meal...or heck, maybe good for the entre' too....have yer glass of moo juice ready too. Got this recipe from my great aunt after she made a batch and I walked into the kitchen right after they came out of the oven when my wife and I went to visit her one time. They instantly became my favorite.

Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees.

Cream together 1 cup butter (the real thing, no margarine) and one cup granulated sugar….do this thoroughly till “fluffy”.

Mix together 1 ¾ cup of QUICK oatmeal (comes in smaller container than regular or 1 minute oatmeal), 1 cup flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, & ½ teaspoon of salt.

Mix dry ingredients with the creamed ingredients thoroughly.

Drop on ungreased baking sheet in teaspoon size drops …no bigger.

Bake first batch about 12-15 minutes or until very light tan color . Bake subsequent batches 10 minutes. (do a batch and adjust time as needed, depending on your ovens characteristics…they are all different!)

Let cool, then serve……YUMMMMMMM!!!

26. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

I'm interrested...I have a few of my own concoctions to share as well...

27. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

This is great...figured I was the only guy on here that cooked. Mom always said..."If ya love food, learn to cook" so I did.

Will e-mail one of my favs today...Oh, how do I get a copy of the first one?

glenn

28. We did the first one on Cafepress. I will try and check into our account for those that would like V1.0

29. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Just sent a recipe to the e-mail listed and it came back. Got another I can try....

30. Zeke

Zeke

Take (SPAMMERBLOCK) out of the addy and it should be fine