Register now to get rid of these ads!

What steering boxes are you using for your A's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Congested, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Congested

Congested

I am builing a 1930 A coupe with a 302 motor, hairpins and a super bell 4" axle. I have an opportunity to get a 1950 F1 pickup box and column for free. What are you guys running for your steering and are you happy with it?

2. tigerShark

tigerShark
    from Tampa Bay

i am also in the hunt for a box for my '29 tudor. im thinking something small and strong fits the bill. ive heard of people use lots of different boxes. i guess a vega box is whats become the most common aftermarket repop for street rods. corvair, f-1. what else is practical/inexpensive?

3. tdoty

tdoty

If it's in decent shape, jump all over a free F-1 box! If nothing else, flip it and use the $$$ toward your final choice.

Tim D.

4. ROADRAT EDDIE

ROADRAT EDDIE
    from New york

I'm using a Mustang

5. oldspeed

oldspeed
    from Upstate NY

Reversed corvair aluminum box 20,000 miles no problems

6. Shane T.

Shane T.

Vega box with cross steer here.

7. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

It's almost a perfect replacement but check it closely; F-1 boxes are now old enough to be in as bad a shape as the Model A you're replacing. I've had a few that were corroded and pitted so bad that I scrapped them.

8. model "A" box in a model "A", works great and fits the car exactly. Go figuire!!

9. '60s Mustang....JOE:cool:

10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

'70 Toyota Land Cruiser!

11. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

'68 Falcon. Not very traditional, but it drives better than the car I took it out of. As many miles as I drive, it's a trade off I'm glad I made.

Attached Files:

12. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

both my 28 and 32 have 56 ford truck boxes. they don't fit much easier unless you use the stock box....

13. bubba823

bubba823
    from oklahoma

I,m building a 28 sedan with traditional steering tring to figure box as well.
    I was told I could take the vega box and turn it side ways with arm pointing up with no other changes to box will this work?

14. I run Vega, but you know all about them.

Here's a Vega alternative in the pics, still cross steer and probably easier to find at the junkyard.
    Slightly larger than a Vega, but still very usable.
    A GM box as you can see by the stylized Saginaw "S" cast into it.

You really have to pay attention to this box.
    Reason being, there's an almost exact duplicate that steers in reverse contrary to the one in the pics.
    I'm guessing that the two steering boxes are for front and rear steer cars.

If I remember right, the pitman arm wasn't flopped 180 degrees and is on the box as it came from the factory.
    Note as well the S-shaped pitman arm which more than likely would fit other Saginaw boxes.
    That due to factories tend to broach only a few pitman shaft spline sizes/patterns so interchangeability is pretty good.

The first box we saw was the right size etc., although both boxes are slightly larger than a Vega.
    This first box steered backwards as noted.

Keep in mind that for use in a solid axle car using a box with the pitman forward the pitman will go right when the box input shaft is turned left.
    This pulls/pushes the rear mounted spindle steering arms right which turns the wheels left.
    Sounds complicated, but it's not.
    You simply need to pay attention.

I'd give you the make and model of these boxes except we got em off a shelf.
    I'm guessing they may be 70's - 80's Camaro's or similar.

Note that the box mounts low - but not too low - in a Model A frame and clears the engine nicely.
    The mount was home-made and similar to the aftermarket Vega mounts.

Price wasn't bad either, $40. in a Needles, California junkyard.
    Kingman, Arizona junkyards would be similar and maybe cheaper.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Short side story: On our day-long junkyard scouting trip, we hit a small and old junkyard at Yucca, Arizona - across from the Ford proving grounds on I-40.
    Asked for Vega boxes, the guy says he has about 20 of them stashed in the back.
    $10. each woulda been the price and yes . . . we had our $200. bill ready.
    Not to be though, the guy was a touch confused and if they were there he couldn't find them.

Another one of those hidden treasure tales I guess....:(

Attached Files:

15. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

I'd like to see more pictures people have of the set up. Especially yours Pete, the toyota seems like a easy thing to find!

16. Shane T.

Shane T.

Yeah the Model A brakes fit perfect too, but not even you would use those. Model a steering is weak and slow at best.

17. I'll be using a 36 box. It is much the same as an F-1 style box. I've also heard an F-6 box is basically the same but has a quicker ratio. I've never ran one myself thats just what I've heard. I think I read that in the Bass coupe build.

18. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HQ Holden with a reversed Pitman arm. Not trad, but it was a daily driver and I needed something bullet proof.

19. ROCKET303

ROCKET303

The Vega box is pricey, But it works great and it's small..and one less thing to rebuild........

20. DeepSouthRick

DeepSouthRick

I was planning to use a Vega cross-steer system on mine, but the rack and pinion cross-steering setup from Speedway has got me seriously considering it.

Of course, it's not traditional, but their setup is cheaper than a fresh Vega box and would avoid bumpsteer altogether.

I prefer a traditional rod, but when you start spending more money for "a look," than what you'd spend to get something that works well, ... seems like that's a slippery slope.

21. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Any of the 37-48 Ford boxes can be used in a hotrod in a cross steer mode or draglink style steering. The Toyota Celica boxes are similar to the Mustang/Falcon, Comet/Maverick/Fairlane boxes but are smaller.
    The good old Falcon/Mustang/Comet boxes have long steering shafts up til 67 or so, then go to the rag joint/short shaft ones.

22. banjorear

banjorear

I'm using the '48 Ford box in a cross steer set-up. Will have to add a joint but it is tucked up neatly towards the front of the engine is is hidden behind the fron wheel when looking from the side (fenderless).

Well, that's the plan at least.

23. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Keep in mind the so called Vega box Is used in other cars and light trucks. Mabey someone with a Hollender Manual can tell us what there in besides Pontiac astra andSunbirds I think they are also s10 and malibue I do not know the GM id # for this box but had a complete list of what they fit at one time and it was something like 15 different models

24. the vega box was used in the vega , astra , and i believe the 4 cyl. monza. all others used a bigger version of the vega , i think , and i might be wrong , its the 525 box. i think its basically the same as a late malibu box. i do know that the vega box works very well in most cross steer situations. just stay away from rebuilds and off shore junk. it seems that china is even getting its fingers on vega boxes also. mike

25. TravRod29

TravRod29

I'm using a late Ford Bronco steering box..69 to be correct...on the 29 roadster...but its kinda tricky setup...but its gonna work...

Travmann

26. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

56' f-100 box here.

30,000 miles and not a problem yet...
    Feel a little road feedback now and then (I think it due to the bias-plys). Gonna try the so-cal steering dampner to see if it makes any difference.
    Bumpsteer...NONE

Spoons

27. cadillac dave

cadillac dave

i am running a volkswagen bus box and bracket. complete with column. cast bracket bolts right up to boxed frame. i installed steel bungs in frame and bolted it on. running a 331 cadillac engine and hydo. this is clean set up. an works great. cadillac dave

28. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I have used both the vega and mustang boxes. happy with both

29. dezaster

dezaster
    from u.k.

thats the same as the one that came off a '60 impala i broke.