Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another Dragstip Passing into HIstory?/

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodChassis, Feb 16, 2007.

1. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Quaker City Dragstrip in Tallmadge Ohio goes on the auction block this weekend. I just got off the telephone with Carl from Carls Ford Parts. He said it was sold of some lady that said it was going to stay a dragstrip, but apparently that's not true.

I guess the local township has wanted the property for a landfill for years, according to Carl. He said it's a really nice little strip. Hopefully someone will come up with the cash to save it.

http://www.quakercityraceway.com/

2. Svenny

Svenny

It's actually in Salem, Ohio, about 45min east of Tallmadge.

It would be a shame if it closed up, a lot of history at that track, but alas, it's a sad fact of life these days. Large properties of "undeveloped" land are becoming far too valuable for a seasonal business that is only open 25-30 weekends a year to resist the money thrown in their direction.

3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I seen some of my first dragsters go down that track as a teenager.
    Sad shit this is. I long for the good ole days...

4. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks. It's listed as Tallmadge on their website, good to know.

5. Svenny

Svenny

I didn't check the web site-I wonder if the current owner lives in Tallmadge?

Tallmadge is home to Summit Racing, too bad someone with deep pockets and an appreciation of drag racing (like Summit Racing) couldn't buy the track and keep it operating.

They could possibly build a museum, restaurant, create indoor activities, build on the history (nostalgia drags etc.) and expand the whole theme to make it a profitable business venture. Something like this could expose a whole new generation to the thrill of the golden years of drag racing.

Hmmm...... wish I had $20 million or so to invest.

6. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Ok, here is the skinny...
    Quaker City is near Salem. And yes, Summit should have done something but they bought into Norwalk instead.
    Quaker will be auctioned on February 24th in parcels.
    If you go to this website http://www.leehostetter.com/
    and click "upcoming auctions" on the right hand side it will bring the Quaker city auction description up in a box.
    I heard that even if some of it gets sold off they will still be able to race there. I also heard that a group of racers who have some capital (what kind of drag racer has capital? how do you do that? :) ) are going to go together and buy it. It would be a shame to see such a successful track close for no good reason.
    Oh, and to keep the tire kickers out they are charging $10 at the gate!
    I also heard that there is a reserve on the place, who knows if that is true though!
    So you have a week to get your funds together!

7. luckydevil

luckydevil

It's a really nice track. The owner has invested about 1 million dollars in the place over the past 5 years. I was told by the current owner that it will be sold in parcels and than as one lot. Whichever brings the most money is how it will sell. As far as the land being worth more than the dragstrip. I doubt it. Theres nothing out there except land. If you take a drive 10 minutes in any direction from the track you will find yourself in the middle of nothing but land. The word I hear is it will sell in parcels. The track & pits & parking are all one parcel. The stuff on the other side, all the land, the storage buildings & the business will be another couple of parcels. I think everything that is not on the track side will sell to new owners and the track, pits & parking will stay with the old owner.

8. Svenny

Svenny

So, you're saying the track, pits, and parking are not for sale, but the surrounding land is.

If that's the case, this could be good news long term for the track.
    If the new buyers buy with the idea of developing that land in conjunction with the what the drag strip has to offer.

It could be bad news if the new buyers have some sort of other agenda for development that would find the noise and crowds of race day in conflict with their plans.

9. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Yea, there was a track out in Maryland when I lived there where some of the adjoining land was sold off and a housing developer bought it. Up went the houses, and then when (of course they showed the houses to prospective buyers on non-racing days) the people moved in, the noise complaints started to roll in. Same thing happened to the Pennsylvania 1000 Yard Assosiation. Houses went up near the range, and then when the heavy artillery (.50 Cal. rifles) came in for the seasonal match, the complaints started coming in.

Can you say stupid people. Who buys a house and doesn't research the local area to find out what you're going to be living near?

10. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

I can't freaking believe it!...:( Quaker is one of the oldest operating drag strips in the east. I live 15 miles from there and haven't had a chance to drive by for a couple of years. but I don't remember seeing a mass home building around there. Quaker City is well out in the sticks with plenty of farmland around it. This is doubly bad as the Steel Valley Nationals...FKA the Hot Rod Supernats have been held there. This event brought 10,000+ spectators to our area and added several million dollars to our local economy.

Screw Scummit for supporting Norwalk...:mad: I guess I'll buy my stuff from Jeg's now.

Jan

11. Andamo

Andamo

Just to clarify some points. The auction isn't until the 24th of Feb. which is a Saturday. And it's not $10.00 to get in, it's $10.00 to register to bid. The small stuff will go off at 10:00 and the property at 12:00. It's a hour and a half drive out to QC for me, but I'll be there. I've been going there since 1960 and only missed a few years during the so-called Gas Crisis years. I'll be coming out hoping that a new owner will be running the place or I'll be there to say good bye to a old friend. In some respects I'm glad Dick Mossey isn't alive to see this happening. We can't afford to lose any more dragstrips. By the way, Lowville/Luckys drag strip near Erie is for sale also.

12. Andamo

Andamo

Just to clarify some points. The auction isn't until the 24th of Feb. which is a Saturday. And it's not $10.00 to get in, it's $10.00 to register to bid. The small stuff will go off at 10:00 and the property at 12:00. It's a hour and a half drive out to QC for me, but I'll be there. I've been going there since 1960 and only missed a few years during the so-called Gas Crisis years. I'll be coming out hoping and new owner will be running the place or I'll be there to say good bye to a old friend. In some respects I'm glad Dick Mossey isn't alive to see this happening. We can't afford to lose any more dragstrips. By the way, Lowville/Luckys drag strip near Erie is for sale also.

13. spoonman

spoonman
    from salem,ohio

it's been on shaky ground ever since dick mossey passed . i grew up there and have been taking my nephew there. i hope it stays. it's only 4 min from my house. nothing like being in the back yard on a weekend night and hearing cars run. i'll miss it if it goes

14. chromedaddyo

chromedaddyo
    from Ohio

Quaker has been for sale for a couple of years, It was posted on Racingjunk, and other sites and in the Cruisin times, I have heard from a reliable source that Waste management has wanted it for years for a land fill, But they screwed the locals in the past so the zoning is not in place for that, and the local Gov. won't let that happen.

Would be a real shame for it to go away. Damn place is really like a park with a dragstrip and not an overcrowded clusterfuck like Norwalk, (opps, I mean Summit)

To do our part, We have to remember that the way to keep these strips going is to support them, Thompson, 42, and Quaker, Those are the places where I grew up and don't want to lose, so I pay their entrance and fees and buy their food.

My father and Mother raced baby T-birds at Howland (long gone), wish I could have run there.

Props to Lucky Devil, Rock and Race, you probably own some of 42 by now!

Dave
    Pistons Hot Rod Association, Cleveland, Ohio
    Pistons day at Thompson "Thou Shalt Drag" is Sept 30, 2007
    (Shamless self promption)

15. nick_s

nick_s
    from Ohio

Anybody remeber the Supercar Showdown held there in the early to mid 90's?? Cross your fingers to hope it stays a functional good dragstrip.