Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/t Hamb Surf Riders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODSURFER, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Steve

Steve

Its not as great as you think the beaches are crowded with people that don't know what they are doing making it dangerous for everyone. :D I have a 9'6" longboard that doesn't see the water much cause I've been riding a bodyboard mostly these days. Much better wave riding tool for the beach breaks around here. Much easier to drop into these bombs and get barreled on the bodyboard then a long board.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. loggy

loggy

A good friend of mine is currently nearly finished restoring my vintage (n only!)board so its' fit for use again............its' a bilbo 10' 6"..........big ol single fin,weighs a bloody ton:D ...........bought it from a guy i worked with who was stationed in cornwall with the raf,he got it second-hand in 1969..........bilbo were one of the 1st proper board manufacturers in the uk im led to believe...........its' needed a lot of work,but it'll all be worth it:)..........when i got it it even still had the 70's stickers on it from when you needed to get a permit to go surf in newquay..........:D

3. DBTires

DBTires
    from Conway, SC

6'0" Perfection fish. Small waves on east coast. We just pray for the category 5 near miss.

4. DBTires

DBTires
    from Conway, SC

Had a 5'2" G&S made in the sixties (I think). About 21/2' wide and at least 4" thick. That board was the funnest toy I've ever had. It was like riding a round sled but on waves.

5. That doesn't make it right. ;)

6. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats a bit rich coming from a Mal rider Boris, after all thats only one step up the evolutionary ladder from riding an esky lid :) :)

7. Ah... much have you to learn grasshopper.

If you didn't see it happen on 'Endless Summer' then it doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned. :)

8. Just caught this thread. I have a '64 10-6 Ole, 9-0 Bung, 6-8 Russel from the 70's, 6-4 fish and I had Bob Olsen (Ole) shape my 9-6 sng. fin-triple stringer w/nose and tail block in 2002. Bob's 76 now and is still going strong in Maui. Kiwi Kev, I'd like to check out your quiver. Love those old boards and the history.

9. Joe King

Joe King

I own a beach on the northwest coast of Washington. I didn't mind the surfers that much cuz I don't live there yet tell the tried to kick me of my own beach. Now with a burned up truck left on the property I'm trying not to say fuck the surfer and putting up a big gate......

10. Waltmcq.......That sucks! Sounds like a pack of dicks. Did you get to explain that you are the land owner? I would think they would be kissing your ass if you control the access. I would love to see a picture of your beach.

11. Ol'Sarge

Ol'Sarge

I was born and raised on the island of O'ahu.

Good times. Started board surfing when I was 10.

I don't have any boards anymore. Living in Germany it is all like a distant memory now.

My brother is moving from Washington back to O'ahu on the 1st of February. I can't wait to visit!

12. I don't know if it's right that someone can 'own' a beach. Down here in Oz it's pretty rare, in fact I would consider it 'Un-Australian' to stop the public having access to a beach.

We are such a coastal population that going to the beach is a given, to have someone say: "That's my beach, piss off!" would be a real bummer.

13. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

I use to have a natural art till I whiped out and broke the nose off. still got scares from that day.

14. FastJaggersSC

FastJaggersSC

i got a small quiver of LOST Surfboards
    6'2 whiplash
    5'10 SD2 epoxy
    5'11 Psycho Ward
    5'10 tri fish
    5'5 roundnose fish
    6'0 Placebo Cory Lopez model

15. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

i got this havent used it ever cuz its old and my dads dont want to thrash it. Its a jacks but dont know much more than that.
    [​IMG]

16. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

I used to lived in Lahaina until a couple of years ago and would regularly see Ole at Mala wharf still diong it.

I have a whole bunch of boards but a classic 10'6" Challenger is the only one worth mentioning.

I used to have a 1954 Merc woodie but I got rid of it.

17. tjroadster

tjroadster

Started last year. Live in Sacramento, Surf in Santa Cruz so far. 9'6" Progressive Longboard made by my friend who worked there. Around town I ride my own homemade hardwood longboards. Fun times.

18. Steve

Steve

so brootal this doesn't exist?

[​IMG]

:)

19. ok west coast HAMBERs anyone seen CHEVYGIRLROX?? wast she touring the west coast looking for some surf action while she was out there???

20. LOL

Yeah... that exists, but only in my worst nightmare.

I call that: "Death on a Stick!"

Laird Hamilton is truly a God amongst surfers.

I'm talking about all that aggressive, angry, make as much spray as you can shortboard surfing. I don't go surfing to kill the wave, to me it's all about relaxing and enjoying the ocean.

Trim and Glide. :)

21. wvenfield

wvenfield

Sorry to bring this back up but can anyone clue me in to how in the world I would ship a vintage long board?

22. wearymicrobe

wearymicrobe
    from San Diego

Not real easy to ship, way outside standard ups sizes, I have stuck something the same size on a one shot greyhound pretty cheap.

On topic 1992 9'6 Stewart gun, soon Flexfire 7'6, as soon as my ribs and cartilage heal from the fracture I have.

23. my quiver has down sized a bit. i have a 5'9" jeff crawford pipe cleaner, a 5'9" claud codgen sunshine, a 6'2" effects by doug pin tail, a 7'8" hobie mini mal. all from the 70s all volan and single finned. as for modern boards, a 6'6" westwind thruster and a 8'9" south point epoxy. good ride for the traveling surfer. my fav. is the old green hobie log. heres a pic of panama city beach during huricaine season. katrina was the storm. unfortunately, ive no reason to travel this year. this was taken at st. andrews park by a friend who owns a surf shop. this was the biggest week i can remember in the gulf.

Attached Files:

24. LordMaximo

LordMaximo
    from Roy, UT

The best way is to build a crate around the board and pack it in styro-foam before you crate it up. Shipping it will be the hassle, mainly cause it is very fragile and cannot have anything stacked ontop of it. So you end up paying for the light load and odd shape, which is usually 30% more then shipping a 500lbs engine block.
    I shipped some fuel cells once from Utah to KC, OK., it was going to cost me 1200clams for the actual weight and length, but if I added 50lbs more, it dropped the price down to 900clams. They go by lbs per square foot space on the trucks. The more weight it is, the more stable the load, so a long board will cost you three toes from each foot. Sorry for the shipping blues, good luck, Maximo.

25. LordMaximo

LordMaximo
    from Roy, UT

I grew up mostly in Florida and had boards from all over the east coast. My best board was my oldest, a Roberts spacial out of Daytona vintage 1962. it was a 12' long board, otherwise a very big gun. I had 3 more boards all over 9' in various designs. I loved surfing the north New Smyrna Beach area. It always seemed a great place to catch multiple rollers on the outer break. I also had a place up the coast between Marineland and St. Augustine area, you could catch some real tall waves for Florida standards in between the big storms.
    But if you really wanted to surf, you went out over to the Bahamas and surfed Eluthra, the waves came in and out. You could surf two direections on any given day. Surfed the CA coastline in the late 70's as well, great place to have fun, real deep troughs most the time.

Maximo

26. 31whitey

31whitey

just bought a house off wrightsville beach, nc
    not enough space on the island for me
    hit hatteras, mace, and w.b. usually yearly
    still got my first board I bought with my first paycheck 6,6 spectrum
    5,10 M10 fish
    6,6 M10 ratboy
    2 wayne lynchs, bought before he sold evo and they turned gay

27. Thought I'd drag this one back up as I finally found that photo of my 9'6" Len Dibben triple-stringer. I had Len do some repairs on it not long after I bought it, hence the three stripes. Not really the colours I would choose, but I did it that way (at Len's suggestion) because the board already had three stripes across the deck in the location of the upper stripe. It also hid a multitude of sins and old repairs.

I used to surf it quite a bit, but it's a heavy SOB, flat as tack and has snapped at least two of my leg ropes! Goes REAL good in a straight line though. :)

[​IMG]

28. hodaddyo

hodaddyo

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    9'4" healthways @ 1964

[​IMG]

9'6" hobie @1963 (pic before repair)

you can see my 9'0" surf tech longboard on the roof of the van (soft foam board)

and my 6'5" BH on the other side.

i am also a sponger.... long island in the summer is usually pretty flat... some of my best days at the beach have been on a sponge... call me a kook, call me a poseur.

29. I have two boards. My first-6' Randy Lewis(bought when I was 13),my second-7' Lightningbolt(got at a garage sale when I was 15). I used to have a 9' Dewey Webber,but someone stole it off my VW,in Hunington Beach,when I was 20. Wish I still had that one! It was perfect...