Register now to get rid of these ads!

12 volt car jumping a 6 volt car...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tred, Feb 14, 2007.

1. tred

tred

i know it's not the smartest idea on the planet, but i believe it was a must given the circumstances.

i jumped a buddy's stock '51 chevy with my '51, which has a late 70's big block and 12 volt electrical.

other than totally killing the shit grade jumper cables that we were lent, could we have done any other damage to either car's electrical system?

2. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

i've jumped 6 volt cars with 12 volt cars before and never had any problems. you could maybe fry the voltage regulater but i doubt anything else could go wrong. check it out. i doubt you hurt anything.

3. tred

tred

fry the regulator on which car?...

thank you.

4. turn the 6v car off and just touch the 12v bat to the 6v bat for afew seconds and it should give it enough of a surface charge to start the 6v car

5. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

What he said ive done it a few times on the farm.

6. tred

tred

well we already jumped it like you would any two modern cars and fried the jumper cables on the 12 volt end.

did the killing of the cables act like almost like a fuse of sorts making sure that nothing in either car was damaged?

7. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Done it several times and nrever killed anything...just make sure you have someone avalible to yank 'em off once it starts!

I drove a 58 olds for about 2 weeks before I knew there was such a thing as a 6 volt battery. killed all the guages, but the starter spun fast as heck, horn was twice as loud.

8. hoof

hoof

Dad and I do it all the time with the tractors. Of course they have very little to fry.

I did try this with a battery that had a bad cell once, I quit when I realized the water in the battery was boiling.
    CHAZ

9. Svenny

Svenny

Jumped my 6 volt Model A with a 12 volt (this was in 1971). My neighbor said don't worry, they used to do it all the time, back when cars were transitioning from 6 to 12 volt.

The Model A must have had a bad cell, because when a battery boils it gives off hydrogen (think Hindenberg). That battery blew, and I swear it was every bit as loud as an M-80. All three caps blew off, my buddies and I all just about pissed our pants, and at the tender age of 17 I had a whole new respect for the potential power packed in a car battery. :eek:

Fortunately, I was the one who hooked the cable to the six volt, and despite my neighbor's assurance, I listened to the prickling hairs on the back of my neck, and backed away when we turned that thing over. I wouldn't want to think what would have happened if I'd been bent over that battery

My neighbor shrugged and said he never saw that happen before.

10. flathead okie

flathead okie

was one ppositive ground? i've jumped 6 volt cars before with a 12 volt, never had problems.

11. tred

tred

nope, both negative grounds.

12. I've jumped a bunch of 6 volt positive ground Mopars, I just disconnect the 12 volt battery in its car, so that I am jumping off the battery only, not the 12 volt negative ground running car.

13. What about using a 12V battery on a 6V car? Not to steal the thread, but also interested. Alot of people say this can be done, I don't know.

14. swimeasy

swimeasy

Do just what LUX said , hook it up , get it started and get cables off ASAP (STARTER WILL SPIN LIKE A BITCH!!)

15. Texas Bob

Texas Bob
    from Las Vegas

Does it appear to have done any damage?

16. I've done it several times with my cars and never had a problem,i guess like someone said above that unless you have a bad cell it should be ok.
    Jamie of Dead City MC/CC

17. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

need new bulbs, a ballast to the coil and resistors for the gauges, fan motor, etc.