Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why do you like the cars, that you like ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Dad, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

ditto. well said!

2. ScapeGoat

ScapeGoat
    from Canada

I owe my interest in cars (basically ALL pre 1970 cars) solely on my dad. My father, being less of a hands-on kind of guy -more for health reasons otherthan lack of desire-was still a carnut just the same and collected car-books instead of cars, albeit, he wasn't any 'expert' because of it, but was merely in it for the pictures. I used to page through all these books myself growing up, oddly learning about the 'golden age' of cars which generally ended when I was born In 1970.
    Car shows and trips to the car museum were attended on the regular, ('family album' consisted of each of us standing in front of cars basically ) and dad would construct a new AMT on occasion for which he made some outstanding and exceptional pieces (he used to say the paint used to nearly kill him though).
    He was a good friend and talk rarely strayed far from anything automotive related. Not many, otherwise conservative fathers, like my dad was, would wish their sons to become say a pinstripper, rather than the usual doctor or lawyer. He is sorely missed.

3. El Zilcho

El Zilcho
    from Austin, TX

my affinity for pre 70's american made cars branched from a few diferent locations, for one my father owned an apache and a nomad for years, when I was old enough to drive I bought a 69 malibu ss, and drove it til the wheels fell off (one wheel literally) I really drawn to the early 50's and before cars because there is something really cool about a machine that has been on this earth for longer than me. my wife, and both my kids have COMBINED! and still runs... not to mention you can ACTUALLY work on them unlike the newer cars I have owned (2000 millenia Supercharged and a 1997 turbo BMW), everything on them is tunable to some extent and you don't have to ask a damn computer for permission

4. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

My preference is for topless cars cuz I like to feel the wind in my hair, the sun on my face, and view 180 degree vistas. The world even sounds and smells better in a convertible.

5. I guess I grew up wanting the cars I saw and wanted as a kid.

My dad was into old cars (always has been, always will be), and had a lot of iron from brass-era to forties. I always liked the way the mid-late thirties cars looked best of all.

So, chalk another one up to "blame it on Dad".

6. DeepSouthRick

DeepSouthRick

Hmmmm... Certainly from my father's influence, since he was a hot rodder himself. Mostly, the cars I saw when I was very young are the kinds of cars that really catch my attention.

57 Chevy, any body style, is my all-time favorite, although my dad never owned one. Don't know why, but I was building plastic models of them before I could read: would study the diagrams and find the parts that fit.

Second favorite is a 32 Ford 5-window; otherwise, any old Ford hot rod. Maybe the American Graffiti influence, but more probably because it resembles the 30/31 Model A coupe. Don't like the way the 28/29 windshield frame comes down the body. Those old "traditional" hot rods were burned into my brain early on.

Gassers: Grew up seeing them as a kid, too.

I can appreciate any nice cars, but those I saw when I was very young are the ones that stuck. I do enjoy muscle cars, for example, but by the time they were on the scene, I had already made up my mind (grin).

7. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

'Cuz they kick ass.

8. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I grew up - let's say - somewhat financially challenged. We weren't "dirt poor" or anything like that - we just had to "make do" with a little less than most around us. Part of "making do" - was fixing up junkers. We tinkered with Chevy motors because they were most affordable. My dad blew up his rambler motor and gave me the car - IF I could fix it. We wrenched because we HAD to. For me I found it fascinating. When I was 16 the few "car guys" I knew were into Muscle Cars - and rightfully so - they were cheap and freakin' cool. The drag strip enlightened us to a larger era of cars - 30's 40's 50's - ahh pure heaven. I remember reading a feature article in Hot Rod magazine about the restoration of the Stone Woods and Cook Willys - I remember them describing hwo they had to remake parts of the frame because it was so rotted. I was flabergasted - these guys could fix "anything" - and it was so matter of fact. It was THAT EXACT moment in time that I was hooked - one day I too would learn how to do stuff like that.

It seemed like back then the muscle car guys could build these fantastic ENGINES - and the Streetrod guys were building these fantastic CHASSIS - combine the two together and you got a Hot Rod/Race car - Nirvana.

So much cool stuff out there - seems like such a shame to dedicate yourself to but one manufacturer - or one era.

9. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

i like what i like because of the time period
    i used to have a more broad band of what i would like to own
    now im pretty much stuck on nothing newer then the early 50's

its not that i dont appreciate some newer cars or some different cars
    but i think i enjoy this stuff because of the historical aspect more then i do the actual cars so if it doesnt fall into the time frame that i enjoy (up to the early 50's)then i dont really care to own it

i want my car collection to be fitting with each other. not a roadster here, muscle car there, mustang there.....
    i want to sit in a chair in my garage intermingled with with surroundings and go back in time....

to me they are time machines

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

WHY? because they make me feel good. Every time I walk into the garage a smile comes over my face. I can't help myself I tell ya! I don't want no cure.:D I love the look and feel of an old hot rod. Self gratification baby.

I've been blessed and have reached my goals that I always thought were unobtainable. I'm a lucky sumbitch and I know it and I love it.:D

BTW Dad... your Dodge P/U makes me smile. That's a sweet piece.

11. 49coupe

49coupe

For most people, their dad, uncle, brother, etc. were in the hobby and got them started. For me, no one in my family is really into cars and my dad is just hopeless this any kind of tool.

For me, I was always a car guy from the time I was a kid. A guy at my previous work who was into hot rods and kustoms and owned everything from a '32 Ford roadster to the chopped '47 Ford kustom he has now got me into the hobby and has helped me with my projects, both with ideas and wrenching. It's amazing how this hobby draws people together. We are best friends although we are almost 30 years apart in age.

I love kustoms and hot rods because they are your creation and an expression of your personality. I love coming up with a kustom treatment and watching the transformation. Yeah, I could have bought an old Vette or Porsche and driven it around, but it wouldn't be having anywhere near as much fun.

12. teddyp

teddyp

i always like cars my taste in cars goes from big caddy of the 40,s -60,s early hot rod,s but my love is late 40.s to mid 50,s customs:D

13. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Dare to be different! Drive a Desoto?
    Dare to be real diffferent get one with the steering wheel on the wrong side?
    Ain't seen that box for years those guys talk about thinking outside of? drive one from the other side of the globe.
    Familiar but very different!
    [​IMG]

14. It’s been a long strange trip for me. I like all kinds of cars. It’s one of the reasons I don’t quite fit in here, I can appreciate a lot of different stuff. In high school my dream car was a 1969 SS 396 Chevelle, until I drove a 1968 383 Road Runner, I fell in with the wrong crowd and spent a lot of time and effort in non-productive pursuits and drove a MG Midget and an assortment of other beaters.

After joining the Air Force and getting my act together I got my hands on a 1967 MGB, very cool car when it ran. Upon re-enlistment I picked up a 1967 327 Vette, which I did a complete engine and brake system rebuild, and a little latter a 1968 Vette. I loved those cars, but as the wife and I began to start a family we began to shed cars. They call me Mr. Suburbia, 1973 Vega, 1976 Malibu Station Wagon, 1979 four door Dodge Aspen, you get the picture.

I did buy one neat car as the kids were growing up; it was a 1988 Supercharged MR2. A poor mans Porsche…….I wish I would have kept that car, it was blast to drive.

Once the kids were out of the house my thoughts turned back to cars and I started to have dreams of another Vette. I also thought of Mopars, having driven that Road Runner and been in love with the E-body Cuda. I called the local Vette Club, actually there are two. They used to be one, but they had some kind of falling out……..It was explained to me, but it seemed silly. Anyhow, I asked if I could join the club and was told that the prerequisite was you had to own a Vette.

Let me digress. I wanted to join the a club to get to know the local market, to learn what had changed over the years, to learn what after market parts were available and what should be avoided. The same reason I hang out at the HAMB and other car web sites, to learn.

I called the Mopar Club and learned that anybody willing to part with a twenty dollar bill was welcome to join. It seemed like my kind of club. And it is for the most part. There are some very cool and helpful guys and of course we have the scoundrels, trying to cash in on the Mopar craze.

Which brings me to where I am now. I’ve owned a 1973 Challenger for almost four years. The engine, suspension, and brakes system have been completely rebuilt. I’m getting near the end of my wife’s 1964 Fury in terms of completely rebuilding the engine, suspension, and brakes. I picked up a really cool 1965 Satellite about eight months ago. These cars are great drivers but no where near the show quality of some of the cars I’ve seen on the HAMB. I’m reminded of a recent thread concerning cars…….Quality or Quantity, what a dilemma.

15. i like em all gassers,kustoms,hot rods,antiques i grew up with old cars my family has been in the auto repair biz since 1918,my granfater use to race a hudson hornet at hatfeild and langhorne speed ways,i did themuscle car thing /bracket racing thing for a few years,but vintagehotrods/cars have been my passion

16. wvenfield

wvenfield

My wife often asks the same question but from a different perspective I guess.

If one could only figure it all out. As a teen in the mid 70's everyone still drooled over the 55-57's chevy's and their popularity has never gone away.

Nobody did (or very few) over a 62 Ford Fairlane but now it's considered a nice ride. Why? I don't know. I remember getting a ride in an early 60's t-bird as a teen and thinking that the interior was simply the coolest thing going. I still like those cars more than the more popular mid 50's cars.

I sat in my 54 for the first time and the scent locks you in also. I could have done it with my eyes closed and still loved the car. The smell of the old materials that were used arouse a reaction from alot of people. I drove it yesterday to show a friend. He sat in it and had the same reaction.

Then there are 70's Chryslers that did nothing for me at the time but I really enjoy sitting in them now. Nostalgia plays a large role in my opinion with things.

17. onelow48

onelow48
    from Maryland

Every body has there resons. For me it's freedom! Remember the first time you drove a car! That! And artistic freedom. My father was a go fast guy.
    I thought I was untill I started making things for the car. Weather it was a braket or what ever. For me a car is like a canvis, or a tattoo! It is a refection of myself.

18. well, when i was about 3 years old (1971) i was with my dad. we where going to the "bubble gum" store which was code for liquor store. in the parking lot there was a bright yellow 69 or 70 corvette roadster. that was the first car i remember that made me say "daddy what kind of car is that?" so i recently bought this; http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=277064&stc=1&d=1171463055
    vette rear.jpg,

shortly after that life changing experience i started looking at my dad's old car magazines, mostly all from the 50's and 60's. the cars that ALWAYS cought my attention were the chopped mercs. so about 5 years ago i finally managed to get this; http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=277065&stc=1&d=1171463340
    merc front.jpg

in the very early 80's my best buddy's dad starts building a 57 chevy like he had when he was a kid in the mid 60's. he built a few more throughout my childhood that gave me a lifetime addiction to 57 chevys. so about 3 months ago i bought this; http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=277067&stc=1&d=1171463591
    my 57.JPG

Attached Files:

19. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I came across a toy 55 chevy that went to a race car track when I was about 6 or 7. I didnt even know what kind or year car it was till I asked my dad, but I knew that it was the kind of car I wanted when I grew up. As I grew older and I realized its popularity It may have fanned the flame. I dont know? Now I sometimes wish they werent so popular so I could more easily afford one.

20. 6-71Kid

6-71Kid

I've don't know why I like the cars I do. My dad doesn't really know anything about cars. My uncle used to drag race. My brother into newer stuff so I have no clue how I got into older cars but I'm glad I did.

21. bigaadams

bigaadams
    from Georgia

I saw Lee's DeSoto Ute above..that be a radical rare car in the US..I like most of mine because they are not the most common car on the road..building them is a challenge in finding parts and most mods are going to be home engnineered..it is mostly a statement of "dare to be different" Couple of my cars are what my father owned when I was a wee lad..rest are orphans so to speak..my Brit cars are for style and the Sunbeam Tigers..well they speak for themselves.

22. fastfreddie

fastfreddie

As it states in my profile: seen my first Kustom Merc at a muffler shop on state street in Salt Lake City when I was 14 (that was in 1974); in that muffler shop parking lot I knew one day I would own a chopped '50 Merc. and I do, it's not finished but I own one :D

FF

Attached Files:

23. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

55-57 Chevrolets but mostly 56's; I've had 9 of them. I like the 150 models in Sedan or Wagon form, and my current one is a 56' Sedan Delivery. They've been street and drag cars and I wish I still had ALL of them. BUTCH.