Register now to get rid of these ads!

looking for speed parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54fordmainline, Feb 12, 2007.

1. 54fordmainline

54fordmainline

does anyone know where to find speed parts or a tri power intake for the ford y-block 239 ? the tri powers show up on e-bay once in awhile but id like to buy something new or old stock! from what i hear the later model y-blocks wont work do to the 239 having smaller ports ?? is this true tim

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

If you see a Fenton Y block intake, look on the underside for a DM-424 for your engine. Good luck finding a cam for it; they're '54 only. The correct Mallory distributor for a '54 engine will have a number of 300. The '55 and newer engines took a 311 or 336.

3. Sticher1

Sticher1
    from Ct

Don't know about the trips but I think the ports are smaller I have a 54 239Y block thats complete w/ 60 K on it ,now that I have 1 don't know what I'm gonna do with..Just picked up a 56 312 merc w/ trips oh-well

4. If the 239 has its original heads, then yes, the original ports are much smaller. There are three basic sizes of Y intake ports. The "mid-size" port manifolds may or may not seal to early heads; the "large" port manifolds, not a chance.

Up until fairly recently, Offy made a tripower for the 239-size ports., #2726. I believe that a vendor on here is an Offy dealer & perhaps can still get them if they are still in production: do a member search for dmarv.

Heathen, there are two different versions of the 239. I'm assuming he has the original one in the '54, in which case you're dead-balls accurate. :D Here's an excerpt from another post a while back ('cause I'm too lazy to re-type this crap again :) ):

"You may or may not be aware of it, but there are two different versions of the 239. The Dearborn version was used in all 1954 cars & early '54 trucks. It has a 13-tooth distributor gear & larger camshaft journals. These cam blanks are no longer available & NOS ones are very difficult to find, as well as the cam bearings.

The Cleveland version was used in later '54 trucks and all (early) '55 trucks, replaced by the 272 in mid-'55 trucks. It has the 14-tooth dizzy gear, & the same cam journal dimensions as all '55-'64 Y blocks."

5. 54fordmainline

54fordmainline

thanks guys for the info ive talked to dmarv before about the one offy makes but he said that its not in production at this time and didnt really know about the port size issue but youve cleared that up! i guess ill have to sit back and wait till the parts show up some where!
    tim

6. They are on eBay constantly, though you'll have to verify with the seller as to what they have. Heathen (above) & Vintakes are both H.A.M.B.'ers who sell intakes.

BTW, the distributors will interchange between both 239s & all other Y blocks, so long as you use the appropriate gear for the engine; also, be aware that '54 (all) & early '55 use a tang/slot gear end to drive the oil pump, all other Y blocks '55-'64 use a hex drive. With the 239 (Dearborn), you HAVE to use the 13-tooth gear, which ONLY has the tang/slot pump drive.

All Y blocks '54-'56 use the Load-O-Matic type distributor (double vacuum) which has a very sluggish advance curve & has to be used with the original carburetor (or one with the spark control valve, anyway). If you install the 3-2bbl. intake, swap a '57-up distributor (or a Mallory or MSD) into the 239, or it will bog, badly. Use your original 14-tooth gear on the newer dizzy.

The '57-up dizzy is still available, rebuilt, from NAPA, Carquest, AutoZone, Advance Auto, etc., for under $100, usually a lot less. Advance was the cheapest last I looked. You can use a Pertronix or Crane electronic conversion kit in it if you want. :)

Even with the original intake the distributor swap is still a good idea. You'll have to remove & plug the carb's spark control valve; use a std. Holley power valve blockoff plug & gasket (you may need to use two gaskets to get it to seal as the sealing surface is slightly different between the two).