Register now to get rid of these ads!

1969 GMC Trans swap: EASY one for ya all

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by quitersink, Feb 11, 2007.

1. quitersink

quitersink
    from Iowa

Hey all, long time lurker here. We have a 1969 GMC with a "truck" four speed. I have a T-10 out of an old TA and thought it would be a ton more fun to have a GOOD four speed in the truck. Question is: do I need to swap out the bellhousing for a "Car bellhousing" or use what I have? To be honest I havent even looked under the truck yet. It's cold in IOWA

2. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

3. Your T 10 will bolt right up,however the input shaft COVER is a little smaller diameter than your trucks 4 speedbell hsg's hole...some will swap and bolt onto another trans,not positive on that.
    total length of T10 is longer than truck so driveshaft will need replaced....

A tip-
    your truck probably has an 11" clutch/Pressure plate, right?
    That is durable OK ,but it will also tend to stick open when revved at hi RPM and will hold the pedal to the floor untill the RPMs come down then it releases..not a good thing.Centrifugal force is the problem....that is why most cars with 4 speed ran smaller units....

4. chopper103in

chopper103in

5. squirrel

squirrel

I would swap in a 63-66 truck bellhousing, it will have the correct smaller diameter hole in it so the T-10 will fit properly. The driveshaft will need work, as choprods mentioned, hope you have a yoke for the T-10, as my guess is it's the big TH400 size (should be a Super T-10 if it's from a TA)

6. quitersink

quitersink
    from Iowa

Wow! Thanks guys! Oh and yeah I have a 11" clutch AND I have the fine spline yoke. BTW I'm BROMAN's lil brutha...I was always a muscle car guy(Pontiac.) Not so much now. BROMANs lead me here years ago.
    THANKS AGAIN!!