Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steering problems with my daily driver

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny Sparkle, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

I took my truck on a quick trip to the store, and now the power steering does not seem to be working. At slow speeds, the power assist does not work at all. If I am revving the engine around 1500 RPM, the steering works normal.

Is this a pump problem or a problem with the rack? Could it just be doing this because it has been so cold for so long? I have to get this fixed before work monday, so any help is appreciated.

2. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

It's an '01 Dodge Dakota, I forgot to mention that.

3. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

I would guess the pump is the problem. The higher rpm creates more pressure. I have seen on rare occasion a restriceted pressure line cause similar concerns.

4. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

Anyone else have this happen?

5. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Was it colder than normal outside?
    A shorter than "normal" trip?

Hydraulics can do some funny stuff 'til everything is up to temp.

You should see some of the "antics" aircraft hydraulics will do while
    being worked on,and COLD as two north poles.

6. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

check the belt and idler pully make sure its not weak and or oily and slipping.

7. butchr

butchr

probly just cold.

8. sounds stupid, but did you check to see if it has fluid? Air in the lines will cause some strange things to happen. If it is cold enough you could stick the vanes in the pump and not create any pressure. But that has got to be really cold. Water in your fluid could also freeze things up and cause all sorts of dammage internally.

9. Toystoretom

Toystoretom

Just some thoughts:

It should act normally clear down to 0 degrees F or even below....

Does it make any unusual noises or sounds?

As stated above... how is the belt condition and tension?

Is the fluid level OK?

I can't remember... but if that power steering pump setup has a feed hose from the resevoir to the pump make sure it didn't get kinked somehow or the bottom of the resevoir isn't plugged with crud. I seem to remember that on Dodges that the resevoir is part of the pump??

I would suspect the pump before the rack...

The pump may contain a pressure release valve that may be stuck open, possibly because of some frozen moisture in it. Park it inside to thaw and suck all the fluid you can out of the resevoir and replace it with the correct Dodge power steering fliud.. see if that helps...

Visually inspect all the hoses to make sure something wierd hasn't happened. It may have a cooler somewhere on those lines and maybe you caught a rock and it crimped a tube?

Get out there and get dirty... I hope you find it...