Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats the scariest thing youve seen on a rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lobucrod, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

All Mopar trannies have to have a kickdown cable attached. They depend on line pressure to shift the transmission. Without the cable they will shift at real low rpm's and you will eventually burn one up!!!

2. rainh8r

rainh8r

I forgot about the fuel line on the 27 RPU I bought a few years ago. The car had full fenders and stock bed, and the seller was proud that he could have his 2 girls ride around in the back. When I got it home, I realized that the rubber fuel line he used was routed between the coils of the rear springs, just above the exhaust. One big bump and those girls would have been cooked.

3. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

Some more pics of this magnificent ride from Pistons n Paint last year. Shock value sure, I felt I needed a tetanus shot afterwards.

If this guy has a problem on the road, I hope he doesn't take out any innocents with him - not eveyone appreciates shock value.

If/when he does, we can all thank him for the shitstorm......

Attached Files:

4. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

At least it wasnt a 350 lb brunette:D:D:D Now that would be scary
    Dave

5. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

My 34 pick up came with a dropped early Ford axle, now it wasn't so much the miss matched camber or the uneven drop that scared me but the bloody great notch cut into one side of the thing to allow the steering arm to fit.

6. Burny

Burny

Damn! McGiver was here...

7. Bgoodman

Bgoodman

the one that didnt have kickdown that i saw was a c4, you could grab the stud in the tranny and sit there and spin it. oh yeah it leaked from there too so the guy took some nylon washers and used a nut to secure em' on. we laughed for a while before we had to replace it.

8. Bgoodman

Bgoodman

as long as he said it was alright

9. screwtheman

screwtheman

Easy, you just hit the brakes real hard and the caster comes back in! Very elegant solution. :rolleyes:

10. redhumphries

redhumphries

looked at one of those lifted cars with the big wheels the other day. They had cut the ball joint pocket parts of the a frames off and extended the ball joints about 2 foot with tubing. no gussets, no cross bracing or anything. I was just wondering how long it would be before the ball joints and spindle wound up under the firewall. now when I see one of those coming I just pray and keep my eyes peeled.

11. Take off perfectly good Vega box.
    Check.
    Fit this weeks fashion, single action steering rack thing in its place.
    Check.
    Try steering left.
    Check.
    Try steering right.
    Doh!

Hang on a minute, I,ve got an idea.
    Sorted!

[​IMG]

12. Gator

Gator

Not anywhere in the league of some of this crap, but my last 3 projects came complete with rubber fuel line from the carb to the gast tank, 15 ft of 3/8ths hose and not a hard line in sight.

Another project had an 'electrical system' consisting of one inline 20 amp fuse holder.

I also got one with brake lines that weren't double flared and with compression fittings.

13. Cruiser

Cruiser

:eek: Your so right about irresponsible crap rodders driving their dangerous
    rides on the roads, endangering themselves as well as you and me. We need to shop these crap rodders at every show and turn them away and turn them into the DMV they need to be stopped. The NSRA has a safety program that works we should copy their program and get the crap rodders off the road.

Cruiser 49:cool:

14. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

The scariest crap I've seen hasn't been rods, it's been gassers. In the 80s I had a hankering to rehabilitate an old straight axle flip nose warrior as a street car. Musta looked at 20 of em that coulda been in this thread.

15. ol'skool29

ol'skool29

i have seen a chop held together with duct tape, garden hose knob as a gas pedal, body held together with clamps, and the sad part is, that its all on the same car, which is powered by a twin turbo'd hemi. the car is alittle more reinforced now though, some of you new england fellas know which car i'm talkin about...

16. Hell, that's nothing. I bought a 54 International truck with a 1/2" drive universial in the steering. Not a Craftsman or Snap On, but some overseas piece of shit. I noticed it after having driven some time. That was scary. It was WELL worn out too. I can't believe it held. So, obviously i swapped in a slightly tighter Sears Craftsman one. Kidding

17. Ahahahah thats awesome.

Danny

18. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

My Gremlin bodied dirt tracker has an open driveline and I straddle the driveshaft racing it. There are two stout 1/4" steel safetly loops welded all of the way around it. But I'm converting it to a torque tube style driveline for that very reason. I know a modified stocker driver who broke a front u-joint, the driveshaft caught his racing suit pant leg, then dug into his leg itself. The force was enough to stop his race car and he almost died from this injury. Anybody sitting next to a spinning driveshaft in a hot rod is a fool.

Jan

19. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

seen On a honda Chopper when I was about 12 years old ,Ape Hanger bars built by putting a piece of EMT tubing through the stock handle bar mounts on the triple tree allow 4or5 inces to stick past the tree then drill 3/8th holes down through this piece ,Now take 2 -lenghts of same tubing about 2 feet long place these upright over the holes slide a lenght of allthread with a nut at the end through them and throught the top horizontal piece that forms your actual top bar and add a second set of nuts!Bingo !ya got yourself a set of apehangers for 3$!need rear struts well ya still got about 2 feet of EMT.left cut it to length hammer the ends into sort of an oval just enough to go onto the shock mounts and there ya go !If people including young punk kids keep telling you that electrical tubing isnt a good idea for this then spray bomb it gloss black nobody will know it now !how bout going 138.8 in the quarter with a car that has a piece of 2x2 angle welded on one end to the top of the 1/4 inch rolled scatter shield sticking out to the drivers side and ending in mid air ,now drill 2 appropriatly located holes and muffler clamp the steering colum to the unsuported end of the angle iron !This passed tech for A/Altered in 1960!and won a bunch of trophies as a show car as well!

20. john56h

john56h

I race a center steering Modified too. Open driveshaft, but covered with steel plate from the back of the transmission to the back of the seat. I've seen the damage a loose driveshaft can do too.

Another danger with these types of cars is the power steering box leaking hot fluid onto the driver's feet or legs. And of course it is a necessity to have an explosion proof bellhousing.

I'd like to see a picture of your Gremlin.

21. CheaterCarl

CheaterCarl

"Whats the scariest thing youve seen on a rod?"....

6 plus pages and no one mentioned Cheater Jakes rod, let me describe it.
    Warts, open sores, some discharge, chaffed shaft, general overall redness. Some would say it's "old skool".
    Note to others: DO NOT share toilet seat or welding gloves w/this handsome young man, all that glitters is not gold.
    This has been a public service announcement (with out guitars)
    friend for life of Cheater Jakes.

Cheater Carl

22. chevy400ci

chevy400ci
    from Kansas

thanks for the announcement, i needed that, haha

23. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

I wondered about this. I've run Powerglides, Turbos, C4s, FMX's and C6 's in various heaps without a kickdown rod with no ill effects. I know that you'll cook an Ford AOD in a heartbeat with the TV cable disconnected, but that's a different kettle of fish.

Jan

24. Builtforsin

Builtforsin

This is from one of the links posted.
    At least it would most likely not see any street time... I hope.

[​IMG]
    not on a rod no... but scary fabrication still..

25. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

This was under a 1932 ford I bought. I was told it drove just fine. They yanked the motor and lost intrest? Take a long look it takes a while to let it all soak in. I wasnt shure if it would make the trailer ride home. :eek: I have more pictures but they are hurting my eyes.

26. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

Sorry. That picture in the middle. The threaded rod bent into a hoop. That was the trans mount. Fully adjustable I might add.;)

27. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

This is the "power steering conversion" done to my F-100 long before I rescued it, obviously more of a punishment to my truck than an upgrade. It's hard to see in the pic, but there are 6 or 7 odd pieces of various sized junk plate and L-angle, booger-welded together to "reenforce" the frame for the steering box. Note the super-cool speedholes blown through the frame with a stick-welder! :(

The best (worst!?!) part was the centerlink/tie rod setup this monkey created, of course it too was booger-welded together with no kind of adjustment whatsoever. It was toed-out so bad the truck wouldn't even roll! We had to separate the tie rod on on side and kick the tire straight, just to get it up on the trailer. Needless to say, I don't think it ever actually made it on the road!:confused:

Attached Files:

• copy.jpg
      copy.jpg
      File size:
      105 KB
      Views:
  28. Mojo

Mojo

Is that a section of tie rod welded to the frame for the link mount?? Good grief, what a mess!

29. john56h

john56h

That is some pretty SCARY workmanship there!!!!

Looks like the owner hired some kids that had experience building tree forts to do his suspension work.

30. hilborn283

hilborn283

i think if you hit the brakes hard,you'd have bigger problems..it would frickin hop off the ground!!those springs would load up and unload like wheel hop.scary stuff!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.