Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ever been harrassed for not having a seat belt??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fat49chevy, Feb 7, 2007.

1. fat49chevy

fat49chevy
    from Onta Ca

I know the law in ca says that if the car didnt come with a seatbelt that year your good.I know back in 49 they didnt. Always wondered what a cop would tell me for not having one, Any stories?

2. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

you should put one in... if not for you then your passengers.. for $100 you and a hr you can have a pair installed

3. SilentMind415

SilentMind415
    from Stockton

My 60 wagon didnt have them and I never got shit for it but I got tickets for everything else so...... I'd get em and put them in, hell the way other folks drive paying more attention to there cell phones then the road I wouldnt even think twice about it but thats just me I guess.

4. DrJ

DrJ

From, http://www.mrtraffic.com/seatbelt.htm
    I found this. I didn't see how current it is though.
    Read the last sentence...
    "(f) Every owner of a motor vehicle, including every owner or operator of a taxicab, as defined in Section 27908, or a limousine for hire, operated on a highway shall maintain safety belts in good working order for the use of occupants of the vehicle. The safety belts shall conform to motor vehicle safety standards established by the United States Department of Transportation. This subdivision does not, however, require installation or maintenance of safety belts where not required by the laws of the United States applicable to the vehicle at the time of its initial sale."

By the way, I feel nekkid riding in a car without a seat belt on.
    Put some belts in your car, keeps the blood stains off the dash...
    I usta make the patterns and molds for the crash test dummie parts and know all too well what can happen in even a 35mph crash.

5. damnfingers

damnfingers

Thought I was being clever not having seat belts in my 49 till I got rearended and my wife hit the windshield. When I get it rebuilt it's going to have shoulder harnesses, not just seatbelts.

6. Yeah, if it never came from the factory with seatbelts, you don't have to wear one by law, but why not wear one anyway? It only takes drilling a few holes in the floor. If you've got kids or a family or anyone who cares about you, do it for them if not for yourself. It's worth giving up a little of the "cool factor" to not wind up dead and mangled.

If you've seen the bloody aftermath of a few wrecks where people weren't wearing seat belts, I think you'll probably want to install some. If you think they don't look cool, you could just install them some way that lets you tuck them back behind the seat out of view. Or you could install some forged eye bolts and get seat belts with quick release clamps on the ends so you can pull them out completely when you're at a show or something. Most seatbelts install with 7/16" fine grade 8 bolts and large washers with rolled edges so they won't pull through the floor.

7. lolife

lolife

Are you afraid the belt will wrinkle your dress?

If you have the stock steering column, you really need a shoulder belt as well. One of the designs that started saving a few lives was the collapsable steering column. The old stuff just broke all your ribs, and you bled to death internally, or worse-case you get ripped-open, and your pancreas falls out.

More people die in a month driving, than have died in the 16 years we've been at war with Iraq.

8. rigid_bobber

rigid_bobber

[rant] I hate belts, I also hate helmets. The state shouldn't regulate me from me... take the cell phones away damnit!

I don't have kids, so no worry there, and if someone doesn't want to ride with me thats cool too!

I used to get shit for it in my 64 Ford. The cops here went as far as to TAKE THE SEATS OUT of my truck, said they were "searching with probable cause" I was 17 at the time.

I got stopped a lot, asked to see paperwork on the car. Mostly they just had a chance to harrass a kid.

Back to my point. Get them if you want, but don't do it just cause you think you'll get shit for it, they leave me alone now that I am a bit older. [/rant]

9. jimbob

jimbob

In Australia if the cops catch you not wearing a seatbelt where one is fitted, you get fined $400 and loose points off your licence (we have 12 points on a licence, and you loose points for traffic offences, loose all 12 and licence is suspended), same with a passenger, passenger gets fined, and the driver looses the points.

10. lolife

lolife

The trouble with that, is most everyone else thinks a human life is valuable. Please get an organ donor card! Doctors and their students are standing by to collect 24 hours a day.

11. hatch

hatch
    from house

Only dumbasses drive without seatbelts.

12. We're gonna bury a 16 year old high school chick tomorrow in this town 'cause she didn't have her belt on. The other kid in the car wore one and lived.

Get hip man, some parts of progress are a good thing.

13. Turkey Rollup

Turkey Rollup

There are a lot of things I dislike about my homestate of New Hampshire. Cold weather, isolations, Hillbillys (not the cool ones like you see on TV), etc. BUT, we've got no seat belt laws, no helmet laws, no insurance laws, no sales tax, no state income tax and few others that I'm probably missing. It's like the Old West but with nothing interesting to do.

14. When I chopped my top on my '32 pickup, I installed some beefy steel support pieces inside the hollow parts of the rear door jambs, and welded some 7/16" fine nuts in them that line up with holes on the inside of the door jambs. It makes the whole top splice stronger there, and it gave me a place to bolt shoulder belts to. With my rigid non-collapsible steering column, I think I'm going to feel a lot safer driving with a shoulder belt to keep me from getting impaled. It's no big deal to unbolt it if it's ugly at a show or something. I'm going to use those aviation type belts with the all metal square chrome flip lever buckles. They look like the retrofit seat belts they used to install in cars in the early '60s.

I don't see anything uncool about old style all metal chrome buckle seat belts. They've been around for almost 50 years. The ugly plastic modern ones are pretty ugly though.

15. When I put seat belts in the Roach Rod... the local fire chief saw the car and said "Well, it'll help us find the body."

Sam.

16. rigid_bobber

rigid_bobber

There are an awful lot of motorcyclists that will argue the helmet law issue. Seatbelts should be a choice for anyone over 18, it is your life.
    I am an organ donor, I just hope no one gets my liver.
    This subject is like religion and politics, it can REALLY get me worked up.
    joe

17. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I Have lap belts in mine and Always where them. I dont care for the modern shoulder belts in newer cars but usually where them too.

18. retro54

retro54
    from PA

I tell you what... today you can buy repro or old style belt that look like they 'would' have come in your car when new... I can't think of one aesthetic reason not to have belts installed...

Did a lot of the salt cars fromthe 40's and 50's have belts?? I would imagine the did since everyone who is goin for that old look today is buying up the old "bomber" belts...

I guess when it comes down to it, the same people who don't want belts in their vintage ride are the same ones who don't wear them in their modern ride, so yea, it's their own choice, but outside of being really stuborn and all, I can't think of one reason not to have some sort of belts in your car... heck I like to have one just so i don't slide across the bench seat when taking the turns real fast!!!

19. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

I'm going to order mine in the next few days for my 66 Ford truck. The originals are rusted stuck from sitting under the seat for 40 years. My wife says my kids can't ride in it until I get them changed and I don't blame her. I worked for Evenflo making car seats for a few years and have witnessed no less than 100 30 mph sled tests and I've broken a $10k crash test dummy in the process.

You DON'T want to not have shoulder belts if there is a way to instal them. I have a video from the late 90s on crashes and there is an X ray of a young woman's skull with a Ford shoebox radio knob lodged in her brain.

Padded dashes and shoulder belts are a reasonable set of inventions!

It isn't going to stop me from driving my car, but I sure as hell am going to pay more attention to the rest of the dickheads around me.

20. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

I'm with Retro54, I don't like to slide on my naugahyde!

21. retro54

retro54
    from PA

that line right there was worth my posting something... haha you'd crack me up, but I'm wearing my seatbelt! hahahahaha

22. RUSTY50F1

RUSTY50F1

In 91 I got hit head on I was in a 85 Blazer my 1 1/2 yr old son was in a car seat buckeled in That is the only reason we are here today. everything else went thrue the windshield. Wouldn't leave home without them. My 50f1 will have seat and shoulder belts........RUSTY

23. OLLIN

OLLIN

I got pulled over when i was 16 in culver city CA (the cops there have a bad rep). They WERE harassing me though. I was driving a 64 fairlane which came with the optional lap belts, and my 50 chevy didn't have any belts so I got into the bad habit of not wearing it. I still have to remind myself whenever I ride in other peoples cars or the corolla.

24. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

One important point on retrofitting belts especially on frame and body cars.....DO NOT MOUNT THE BELT ANCHORS TO THE FRAME. In case of an accident you want to stay with the body, especially if the body and frame seperate even partially. Check the Juliano's Rod Shop site for some howto's for belts and three points. they aslo sell and anchor point reinforcement piece that works a lot better than big washers.

25. when you have worked graveyard shift at a hospital you are convinced that seatbelts do save lives. they don't take that much extra time to install. mini trucks make great donors for shoulder belts.

26. butch27

butch27

Always wore them in my race cars and always wear them now. BUT: I hate that they can fine you for not wearing one.

27. 58Handbasket

58Handbasket
    from Reno, NV

I found that most people that ask for them aren't knowledable enough to know the difference; as long as it's old. I don't even get shit coming onto base where they're hardcore about it. The only one who gives me shit is my wife. Some day I'll get around to putting some in though.

28. Lancer

Lancer

I am alive today because I was wearing one when I totaled my hot rod back in 1990. I did get a nasty concussion but I walked away.

Hiway patrol said I would have been thrown from the car, no question do to the speed and nature of the accident.

I want to be hot roddin for years to come, be safe and keep you loved ones safe, wear seat belts.

Put'em in if you dont have'm.

Just my two cents worth.

29. bonesy

bonesy

My kids (smarter than I) pestered me about it until I put em in.

30. ScapeGoat

ScapeGoat
    from Canada

I must be an odd ball....cuz I actually like having one on I find them comfortable believe it or not...good for that because I wouldn't be here today two times over, if I didn't like them...yeah, I can be that stubborn and stupid.