Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Problems...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Having all sorts of issues due to a huge traffic influx from Fark.com and Digg.com... Please bare with us as we ride out this traffic wave... Things should go back to normal soon.

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

No problem.
    How are we affilliated with these websites?
    Maybe we need to stop preaching the gospel. :)

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

We aren't... apparently, someone (around 4 million in 6 hours) thought one of our latest posts was fascinating.

4. skumbag

skumbag

is that why i couldnt pull up the jj last nite? i thought it was my junky computer....

matt

5. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Mustang with the Tank engine is the culprit.

6. man is that a relife,i thought the blocked me at work from coming on

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That... and someone posted something about supporting our troops...

8. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Oh yeah...that too? Well it's just a banner day then.

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah, it's incredible... My hosting company also hosts one of the biggest major news outlets in america... We were out trafficing them for about 25 minutes today...

Going to be an expensive bill this month...

The tank thread has been deleted temporarily.

10. And that explains why I haven't been able to find it over the past half hour! I thought I musta been imagining it. Glad I found this post though.

11. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As far as cash goes, you know all you have to do is say the word...

-Abone.

12. monsterflake

monsterflake

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I saw that earlier... I don't really remember mud, but am super curious who the other guy is. Apparently, I'm a "dick IRL"... Bummed me out as I have no idea what the guy is talking about. Would love to make it up to him...

Anonymity kills me...

14. Too bad you couldnt get even 1 cent from each of them. All them pennies add up.

I know thats not what you are all about, but damn...

15. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

To be HONEST I have NO idea what you guys mean, so if too many people look at the site it "stops"??? Bear with me I AM *** NOT *** being a smart ass!!!! What does other "dot com's" have to do with this site??? RYAN's words====Having all sorts of issues due to a huge traffic influx from Fark.com and Digg.com... ==== Laymens terms??? If it is too hard to explain, don't bother I understand... It's probably Like why does a "young" ricer have a coffee can on his exhaust VS. I have 8 open pipes on the "sides" of my motor... Some things are just un-explainable?!?!?...Ken

16. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

i have a problem... at work i throw away all of my pennies...

17. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

The guy Bashing Ryan is MUD... wonder if thats the mudd from here?

18. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

Come on, IS THAT REALLY J.J.??? I am a huge fan, but I can't believe it is him!!! Maybe it's just the "stars in my eyes???" Yeah I know alot around --here-- DON'T like him but I do!! Oh well to each his own...Ken

19. roadracer

roadracer

Ken, the server that this site runs on has a limited capacity - they all do. Like an engine has a limited amount of horsepower. So, two very powerful servers pointed to HAMB and a whole bunch of people came over to look. A LOT of people. Too many for the server here to cope with, so some people started getting errors as the server reached its limit.

I made the analogy earlier that it was like trying to put 20000cfm through a 600cfm holley - just ain't gonna work.

that help?

20. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Ryan,
    Just read your explination of the overload. Really appreciate it that you keep us so well informed. Even though it was a great post, sorry to hear it caused so much trouble....Thanks again....

glenn33

21. Steve

Steve

the mud on fark.com is the mud from here. but mud wasn't bashing ryan he just said he thought Ryan would be tickled pink that fark farked his server or something, don't know who the other guy is.

22. roadracer

roadracer

Right, it was "Scrotastic Method" doing the bashing. It looked like Mud at first glance calling Ryan names because Mr Scrotastic started his post with "Mud" (when replying to mud)

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ironically, it wasn't fark that put us over the edge... We can handle that traffic... It was Digg that really hurt us.

----

Like I said, I don't really recall Mud all that well... but am really interested to know who Scrotastic is... I have no idea what that person is talking about (bad facts?), but I hate to think someone feels that way about me and would like to make it up to him.

If you're out there PM me... No hard feelings at all. Promise.

24. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

who cares what a bunch of nerds think? I read fark junk and those guys can suck rope. Maybe we should start a thread on here about how lame they are with thier wasteful 600w power supplies and all moan about how much they spent on their graphics cards in thier computers.

25. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

So..... when the people posted on Fark with the word "Farked" as their message does that mean they came over here, did something then they report back to Fark.com with the word "Farked" and this means something?

Did the 1000 people register on the HAMB on purpose to cause the "traffic jam"? People don't have to register just to lurk around right? So perhaps the 1000 were true car folks that plan on participating?

I guess I don't understand why someone would hang out on a site like Fark.com or Digg.com. After less the 5 minutes I was ready to leave. It just seemed like one large chat room with no purpose? Please enlighten me.

Please bare with me, I live in a car world without much exposure to anything else on the internet, but I do enjoy learning how things work. Especially things I have absoultely no experience with.

I remember Mudd. Seemed like more of a jokester then a car guy. Kinda reminds me of that other jokester guy that recently got banned.

26. SilentMind415

SilentMind415
    from Stockton

I'm a member on Fark and while I dont mind surfing I hate the fact that they murder some of even the larger websites bandwidth. "farked" is what happens when they go on a website so much that it kills it.

27. Yea
    I always gots a buck or two stashed. It used to be escape money but I don't need it for that any more.:D

28. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

So they do it on purpose, for fun? God, we gotta get these people a hobby.

So, a person who has come to the HAMB from Farked.com and the HAMB is "down" because of all the other people doing the same thing, then goes back to the Fark.com site and "reports" that that site is down but they use the word FARKED as the term to "report" this?

I think I will go sit in Big Olds for a bit tonight and just thank my lucky stars I'm into hot rods.

29. SilentMind415

SilentMind415
    from Stockton

No, they dont do it on purpose, they just have so many members that it happens ALOT and as a result they have a name for it.... "farked" Its actually a really good news site if you skim threw some of the B.S. stuff they post but like I said I dont like when they do it to smaller sites and forums so I dont click on the sites that I think are going to crash.

This will explain it better...sort of...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fark

30. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

What if the 18,000 of us on here went on there and HAMBed them?
    Suppose that would FARK up their fun place?
    I really wish I knew 20 years ago when I was in HS that this compter thing would get so big. I may have taken a class or two. Then maybe I'd know more about FARKing and being DIGGed. :)