Register now to get rid of these ads!

crusty magnesium wheels, SAFE or NOT??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AstroZombie, Feb 6, 2007.

1. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

just picked up these 14X6 M/T's sight unseen the other day, didnt know they were this bad but for the super cheap price i really didnt care. so, would you guys clean them up and run 'em or would you clean them up and add them to your wall. the weld beads securing the magnesium center to the steel are still in great shape, and they seem rock solid, but that corrosion is just giving me a bad feeling. it seems to have affected the "cosmetic" parts of the wheel more than the structural integrity.
    also keep in mind i work on jets, so the slightest bit of corrosion, and i'm wanting to clean it up. is it possible i am overreacting?? :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

2. john56h

john56h

They don't look too bad in the pictures.

3. DHD

DHD
    from Ottawa, ON

If it bothers you enough to question it, then the answer is...."unsafe"

4. Harms Way

Harms Way

I could be wrong,..... but I think you have the M/T wheels that had a Aluminum center in a steel outer rim ,.......... I don't think they ever used Magnesium in this configuration (pressed into a steel rim),...........

5. What Harms way said. You do not have magnesium wheels, you have "mag" wheels.

6. WILLIEJP1969

WILLIEJP1969
    from Iowa

I'm not an expert, but the galvanic corrosion that is pushing the center inward would concern me.

7. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

i was wondering about this, but yeah i think you are right! eh, for 5 bucks i guess you cant complain. i think i'll just hang 'em up on the wall. i was messing with them a bit more, and the aluminum/magnesium/fugazi bullsh*t they're made of was coming off in chunks. thanks, the answer is "UNSAFE!"

8. None of the magnesium wheels we all know and love were ever considered "safe for the street". They were never designed or intended for such use, and many sanctioning bodies disallowed their use in many racing applications due to safety concerns. This is one of the reasons you'll often see steel wheels on the back of most race cars in older pictures.

But what you have there is just some cheesy M/T steel rimmed junk, which was never really all that great to begin with, and ruined by 30 years of corrosion.

9. polisher

polisher
    Alliance Vendor

Check out the stud holes are still round where they meet the lug nuts.
    Clean 'em up.
    If you polish them they should come up pretty good and you will see if there are any cracks.
    I reckon they'll be pretty fault free.
    Salts build up on mags fgast and make them look much cruddier than they really are.
    Don't use mag/aluminum polish, it's the worst crap out there on mags and they'll re-oxidize in days.
    Use a pH. Neutral polish.
    If your in the alliance I can supply you with what you need and you'll get a 20% discount.
    If you don't like repolishing treat them with DOW#7
    That always looks good on mags.

10. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Those are scrap