Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ribbed exhaust pipe- how would you duplicate this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tuck, Feb 5, 2007.

1. eric

eric

HOLY CRAP!! we now know who makes the stuff but can't get any!!! hmm next time i'm out in the valley i may try to look for this place just to see what the deal is???

2. eric

eric

damn Abe lugo that precision tube place sure looks like they'd be able to make it. out of all the places i've searched for online that seems like the best chance so far

3. ray

ray
    from colorado

it's aluminized, so it's okay to weld it as-is. zinc plating would be toxic to weld through. the chrome shop should have no problem strippin it.

if you have a pep boys locally, i'd hit them up and see if they can order it. chances are they get other stuff from the supplier, they just don't stock the convoluted pipe. make it clear that this stuff is important to you, that you're just not trying to fix the exhaust on your old van.

4. http://www.superiorindustries.com/index.html

Doesn't look like the kinda place yopu could walk in the front door of and hand them $100.

If I can con my father into making a die to make ripples in a piece of tubing... what size would you want?

5. rattlecanrods

rattlecanrods

My company used to make convoluted pipe like that, but for steering applications. The convolutes/ribs were produced using a hydro-former. The straigh tubes were loaded into the machine, which sealed off the ends, then pumped the pipe full of hydraulic fluid till the metal ballooned out into the OD die. The whole process was fairly simple and quick.

6. Tuck
    When I was in high school we made some rippled scavenger pipes out of gutter downspouts from an old farm house (yes they were rippled already), I've seen old buildings around town that have the same type of down spouts. I'll bet if look around at building supply houses especially ones that specialize in older restorations you can find the same type of material.

just a thought.

7. About 10-12 years ago I saw some in store in FL. Every stick they had was bent from "shelf wear"- and I don't think you can make it arrow straight once that happens- so I didn't buy any. I got the name of the company and it was Precision also, but I could swear I called Canada regarding it(?) Never did buy any...:mad:

8. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Ray - what else is on the pipe? Any stock numbers, name, part description, etc? Perhaps with a SKU number or something similar, PepBoys could order it...

And I might be interested in your two lengths if nobody else has already hit you up for it...

9. Wow! Nothing like inspiration!! I've had a pair of rippled lake pipes hanging on the wall for 25 years. The chrome has paid the price but very re-platable. Think I'll send them to Oregon Plating, have them re-done and hang them on my 51 instead of Lake plugs. Thanks for the Push to do something with them. I bought them at Radke's in Portland in 1969.
    The Wizzard

10. skumbag

skumbag

11. OLLIN

OLLIN

you guys are talking about this stuff right? [​IMG]

That pic is from chopperville custom cycles site, maybe scott craig knows where to get it. I saw some on ebay once, but Im pretty sure it was made out of aluminum

12. Put a dull rounded off blade in a Rigid pipe cutter, it'll ripple it like that instead of cutting, then just space them out the same and go the same depth on each one.

13. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

matt. . . that stuff looks to me like that flexpipe coiled flat steel stuff wth a nice chrome job on it

14. skumbag

skumbag

couldnt you take that stuff and make some lake pipes like the ones tuck posted? just do a little welding and then go get them chrome plated....

matt

15. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

nah, that shits jointed... its a long ass coiled and tucked cylinder. . . the ribbed stuff tucker is lookin for is one solid piece of pipe

16. skumbag

skumbag

oooohhhhhhh...... i guess i'm always half a bubble off! :rolleyes:

thanks for the explaination fiddy

matt

17. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

just as a FYI my auto zonk as well as my advanced auto parts still has the ribbed flex line....and alot of it, if anyone wants some lemme know I'll find out how much it costs and getcha some...

18. A guy I know here bought the tooling to make that stuff. He's been doing it on a custom to-order basis. I'll try to get him on here, if he has a computer.

19. chopper103in

chopper103in

if you could get a part number we could go to our local store and order/get it our self

20. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

i just picked up two sticks of this last week to make exhaust for my bobber they are 43" length 1 3/4" OD and they have a part number # 29-1430 .

their pep boys part number is 896044-1 they are $19.90 a stick . here are a couple pics .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

they did tell me that they are no longer stocking them . but i'm sure that you could score em at many other auto supply stores.

thanx
    jp

21. All the old harley 74" and 80" had them as heat sheilds (flex pipe), any aftermarket harley shop should have them. I can order you a set if you want, they are chrome, slide over a 1.75 od exhaust pipe.

You could tack weld them on the under or back side of your pipes.

V-Twin Cycle has them - they are under exahust > heatshields

22. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

I saw that stuff somewhere in the last 6 months, may have been the Auto Zone here in Kenosha, WI. If I can I'll try and check it out tomorrow. When i saw it i thought, How the fuck do you flex that...Looked pretty stiff!!. Hey, Auto Zone!!!, isn't that the place Jesse James gets all his Kool custom shit at????.

23. Gr8ballsofir

Gr8ballsofir

24. ray

ray
    from colorado

i see it says zinc coated, so i retract what i said about welding it without nasty fumes.

25. Gr8ballsofir

Gr8ballsofir

Parts america.com also carries it...

26. Grinderspark

Grinderspark

Try another avenue...
    Anyone think of looking into conduit from electrical supply companies?
    There is up to 3" flexible conduit still made for industrial electrical applications. A smaller straight pipe with an O.D. the size of the I.D. of the conduit can be inserted into it to keep it stiff. The stuff can also be dipped or powdered, and is flexible enough for bends.
    My $.02...

27. I wonder if that stuff is formed by taking ordinary tubing and putting it in two piece mold that has the rib shapes in it, and then capping the ends and pumping oil or water into it at like a few thousand psi of pressure.

The mold would have to be pretty strong, but that seems like how they probably made that stuff.

28. rodknocker

rodknocker

Tuck, i guess if i were going to try to make this pipe myself, i would put it in a lathe, put a torch on one section,heat it till it glowed and then quinch it,trying to shrink it rib by rib. just my .02

29. lownslow

lownslow

that is the wrong stuff ....

30. Gr8ballsofir

Gr8ballsofir

same brand and part# as pepboys tube...