Register now to get rid of these ads!

The THRASH

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Norwell, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Long LIVE the "FLY"

This car always inspires me.....Charge on fellas!:)
    [​IMG]

2. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

that is nice. Root has to be really happy with that

3. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Thanks Boones..that was done back in '04
    But Root is mean, he promised me I could take her 'round the block and then said "No"...after I promised that neet girl at the Dairy Queen I would unzip the fly!
    ha ha:rolleyes:

I want more thrashing inspiration.

4. AHotRod

AHotRod

BEAUTIFUL work Jeff, maybe you can do my creation one of these days :)

5. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

You would almost think this Norwell guy does art work for Rod and Custom... Kool Jeff....

6. Roothawg

Roothawg

Jeff is my hero. No matter what he says. Jeff, I'll try and have the floors back in it by March so you can drive her around the block.

7. bigken

bigken

Excellent story. 'Root', was great meeting you at MoKan last year. The 'Fly' is fantastic, and like the story that goes with it..................
    See ya soon.

8. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

HEY... I thought you were BRUSH. :D

Great work, even if it's old...

9. guiseart

guiseart

10. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

Great work Jeff and Root I always love the fly!

11. RustyRedRam

RustyRedRam

Awesome! Great work Jeff! By the way, I have Deuce framed. I'll post it soon.

RRR

12. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Thanks all...but my purpose on this thread was to see more "thrash" in your garages..to go with the Ryan,Root editorial.

Lets see some Thrash!!

13. Cword

Cword

Thrash?

August is 6 months away, and ‘round here we thrash by committee. Which helps to make a thrash more “exciting”!

On our return from Bonneville we determined that we’d best do 3 things to make sure our performance could be compared to previous years. 4 corner weight, Chassis dyno run, engine dyno. These would give us a good handle on the post run status of the truck and allow us to evaluate the changes we’d made.

Now it’s January. None of that has been done. We have had an engineering firm step up and offer to set up our drive shaft with torque sensors and a telemetry system, so the drive shaft cam out in November. We need some numbers though, and we need to get into the truck ‘cause we’ve only got 6 months until it’s time to be back on the salt.

There’s no room at the shop where the truck is going to be re-equipped until the end of February, due to a thrash for the local World of Wheels. So Mike decides, since the truck isn’t doing anything anyway, to enter it in that same show. It’s a payback to the local sponsors who support this racing effort that never runs in front of a home town crowd.

So, I have the truck moved to my garage, cleaning, stripping and re-signing planned for the show. We’ve been putting stickers on hodge podge for 5 years and the truck shows it, also I want to make some changes that will show off the Roadster pickups original lines a bit better. Truck moves to my garage, chassis dyno date is set a week later. So I spent last weekend scrubbing salt and stripping vinyl and drawing signage while Walter dropped in to prep the engine for the dyno run.
    Truck left yesterday, for some more prep and the drive shaft re- installation (with torque sensors) and it’ll hit the chassis dyno Friday.

Maybe Saturday it’ll return to my garage, and I’ll get back onto it, hoping to have it re dressed for the 23rd.

The after the show, the real thrash starts. New rear end, out with the quick change. Shot filling the frame rails, new plumbing, address the hood scoop/no scoop situation. And a bunch more odds and ends before August.

Mike
    Attachments illustrate what I hope to do about the look of the truck.

Before

[​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]

14. God...I remember when Drag N Fly was just an idea....

They grow up so fast it seems.....

15. Roothawg

Roothawg

That's because you are old.

16. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Dang, Jeffe, that art needs a large Bat Man style "KA-POW" in there somewhere!

17. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

Root, the problem for some of us is we thrash on ours on the weekend. I lie awake almost every night thinking about something on the HA/GR that I am building.
    This has been going on for almost two years. I'm on a limited budget and every spare dollar goes to the car. I'm married and have two grown sons and their daily drivers come before the dragster.
    While I am at work, I'm constantly thinking about it, after I work on it in the evenings after work, I think about it while I'm trying to go to sleep.
    I wonder what I would be thinking about if it were not the car at times. I guess some of us are built this way and others it does not seem to bother.

18. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

Nick Harrison throwing down a coat of hot rod black on my chassis. Bonneville or bust........

Attached Files:

19. Cword

Cword

Now, there's a reason to thrash... Are you listening Jeff?

20. Clark

Clark

The thrash is on right now for us. Jr, Larry and Lullabelle have helped me get the T coupe ready for Detroit. I've got a week and a half to get the bodywork,paint and assembly done.
    Clark

21. Old?!?! OLD?!?!?!

Why you young punk!!!

Back in my day we'd......zzzzzzz.........

:D :D :D

Its OK Root...I still love that car.
    You know how much I dig blue windows!!!

22. Roothawg

Roothawg

The original plans were for a dark green , but I couldn't find any. My dad's old gasser had green windows.

23. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Old Travelways and Greyhound buses had dark green glass in the large passenger windows.(like the color of a Mountain Dew bottle)I do not know if it was tempered, but I assume so for safety.
    It would be killer.....

I was trying to find out where these old buses go when they die.
    I believe the era would be the 70's.......

24. I am thrashing on the house/shop right now. No time for cars. I have two weeks of work on the pad and the little one will be here ANYTIME in the next two weeks....................................heck, carshow pressure ain't nuthin but a thing.

25. Root,
    In reguard to your article/editorial I totally understand where you are comming from. Its roots my friend.

One of my favorite memories from when I was real little was when my Dad was going to take me from San Francisco to Portland.

We were going to leave Sat morning. On friday evening he took me down to the shop, the front was off the roadster and the engine was sitting in the floor. ( Sorry too young to tell you why, but my understanding is that it was a fresh motor).

Some buddies showed up and they started wrenching, I remember dropping off to sleep on the creeper to the sound of curseing, laughing and a ratchet.

I woke up in the morning, wraped up in an old beat up leather jacket. Uncle Sig was looking at me and he hollered at the Ol' Man, " Wolfe is up". Then he handed me a cup of coffee. It was one of those paper cups that the little handles folded out from the side. The Ol' Man stuffed a donut in my hand, grinned and said," Expletive, lets see if it'll fire . . ."

The nail light right off, raced for a while and then we piled in. Uncle Sig handed me another donut as we pulled out. He was hollaring at the Ol' Man as we pulled out something about locking up and haveing a good trip.

I still think cars should be built between sundown and sun rise.

Love the Fly my friend and you just can't have anything better that what your Dad left you, not just the mill but the tradition. The Fly is more then just a fast ride when you know the story.

26. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thanks PnB.

Jeffie, the dark green was plexi. I think I may have a source found for my next project. I Think......

27. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

I'm trying to finish up agent orange for the starbird show the 16th in tulsa, been 3 1/2 weeks non stop and it is running and windows in gettin lettered this week and will be ready , man its been a thrash 7 days a week for 3 1/2 weeks... but im as proud of it as I can be...:cool:

Attached Files:

28. marx

marx

29. voneyeball

voneyeball
    Alliance Vendor

TINT! red/blue/green/yellow available. Ken has the green tint in his 56 and i've got blue in my 53... It will work well with plexi/lexan if properly applied! I really like yellow in a drag car... like being at the range.

30. voneyeball

voneyeball
    Alliance Vendor

and richie, get your ass to austin! old ass, that is...