Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best soft top material for a Model A?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by headhunter, Jan 30, 2007.

1. headhunter

headhunter
    from Austin, TX

I wanted to put a removeable fabric top on my '30 Tudor and I'm not sure what material I should use. I plan on just using snaps or 1/4 turn fastners since I don't plan on driving it in the rain and I don't need it completely water-tight, but I do want to keep the blazing sun and the occasional shower from coming inside.

I was looking at the original cobra long-grain material that they sell at Snyders and the other restoration shops and wondering if this would be the right way to go. Is it thick/strong enough to just be a top on its own or does it really require the other layers they sell in the roof kits? If not, is there a better modern material I should use?

2. headhunter

headhunter
    from Austin, TX

3. My model A coupe uses "marine grade" vinyl with stainless snaps works good and when the wind blows through it doesnt stretch.

4. pitman

pitman

If you plan to drive with it on, you might look into a method of keeping it drawn down against the top bows. Velcro tabs? The low pressure suction on the roof will draw it upward at speed.

5. kermit

kermit
    from WI

Pitman is right on.

My '27 T used to look like it was 9 months pregnant at 75 MPH going down the road.

3M has what I call 'institutional' velcro. I think you could stick your girlfriend to the wall with this stuff. I use it to hold on door panels and it works well.

Kermit

6. headhunter

headhunter
    from Austin, TX

Where did you get the vinyl? Just some upholstery shop? Boat shop? Sounds like a good idea.

7. headhunter

headhunter
    from Austin, TX

Great advice Pitman and Kermit - I see ratty old convertibles all the time with that problem. Of course, Kermit is giving me some *other* ideas for this stuff now :D

8. Bull

Bull

You've got e-mail. I just sent you some pics that I came across and had in my idea file.

9. NiteOwlChris

NiteOwlChris

Mac's antique auto sells top kits with original cobra grain material. I got mine from there, seems to be pretty good stuff, looks like it will hold out water also.

10. headhunter

headhunter
    from Austin, TX

Hey Chris - it's good to hear from someone who has this stuff. How thick is it? Does it have a backing? Are you using it with a full top kit or just on its own?

Marc

11. If you're looking form some variety in grain and colors, tonneau material is a good choice. The backing is usually very stiff and the stuff doesn't stretch very much. The widths are usually ample to cover, well a truck bed, and the durability of it's great.

12. headhunter

headhunter
    from Austin, TX

Are you suggesting buying a complete tonneau cover and hacking it up or can I get that material someplace on its own?

Thanks!

13. Don't buy the whole tonneau! You should be able to get the yard goods (material) at any auto upholstery supply house. Or go to any trim shop and they can show you samples and order it for you. Should be about $10-15 a yard or so.

Find Fat Lucky on here. I do believe he/they are down your way. They'll be able to help you too. Good trimmers there, nice work.

Vinyl top material as used on landaus and vinyl roofs can be bought the same way , but this material tends to be much stretchier than tonneau becuse it has to conform to the shape of the roof. For what you want to do you need something with a strong backing so you don't get the dreaded 60 MPH pregnant roof.