Register now to get rid of these ads!

Clearcoat and bare metal???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wagoon, Jan 31, 2007.

1. wagoon

wagoon

Anybody have any pictures of bare metel cars with clearcoat on them???

Thanks

2. There's an Australian merc custom done in clear over metal, been posted a few times. I'm sure someone will post it for you again. Looks good, don't know about durability etc though.

3. brown n down

brown n down

actully gonna do it hunh? sweet.

i read somewhere once that there is either a special clear or additive for clear to help it adhere to bare metal.

HOLYSHIT!!!! new idea for you.......take the frontend down to baremetal......layout a nasty flame job in reverse and sparay the rest silver flake

silver flake with baremetal flames!!!! dooooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiit

4. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I have a bare metal body with clearcoat, it's called an Airstream Trailer! What ever they use is bullit proof.

5. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

I have done a few bikes that way and they will eventually begin rusting under the clear. You are better off using "Gibbs". I have a friend with a bare metal 32 5-window and there is not a speck of oxidation after 3 years of using that product.

6. haring

haring

I believe it's called "aluminum".

7. IGOR

IGOR

Someone just mentioned to me the other day that they had used a clear coat that POR-15 puts out. Said it works really well. I didn't know they had a clear coat.

8. Degreaser

Degreaser

I wouldn't clear over it. It will eventually rust under the clear. Scotchbrite the hell out ouf it and put some renaissance wax on it occasionally. It works.

9. brown n down

brown n down

this got me interested so i did i quick search.......

http://www.por15.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1435/.f

10. Has anyone used Eastwoods Diamond Clear ?..It's sold in Satin or Gloss for bare metal ,also for painted surfaces...I've wondered if it works ,how durable,etc.....or is there a locally available Clearcoat thats durable...Thinking of shooting a clearcoat over my bare metal frt.I-beam,4-links,batwings,etc

11. budd

budd

rust does get under your paint you just cant see it till years down the road. i use clear rust paint on metal garden art i sell and it will last about 6 months before you see rust forming under the paint.

12. TooManyProjects

TooManyProjects

Normal paint job= prep, primer, paint, more paint and clear.

A few more layers of seal and protection. Plus if it starts to rust under paint you don't see it as quick, not that that is a good thing.

13. HeyMang

HeyMang

Brookville was at the GNRS and had their 'rolling catalog' there, the bare metal, full fendered 32 3-window. I noticed it was clearcoated and up close you could see the spiderwebs of rust forming under the clearcoat like little veins.
    Dupont's Imron clearcoat is used on our salt-water immersed equipment and they hold up to voyages and abuse from the harbor for years.

14. TRuss

TRuss

For the past four years I've wondered if it would be possible for a tinted clear on bare metal. I thought an orange clear on bare metal would be sick.

15. Degreaser

Degreaser

TOOMANYPROJECTS is right, there are steps you will skip when clearing over bare metal as opposed to full paint. Metal prep or whatever you put on to seal the metal before priming puts a haze on the metal, therefor you don't use it when clearing bare metal. I had an old shovelhead Harley that lasted about three years before you could see rust under the clear.

My buddy just built a custom bike and had the frame and springer front end powdercoated clear, it was rusting inside of 90 days. He did his tank with the renaissance wax and it still looks great.

16. I have aquired a 29 A coupe that's been sitting in a ravine for quite some time. The body is in suprisingly good condition. My question: if a design was taped off on the rust to keep the design on the car (keep the rust), and then bare metal the rest of the body, could you clear coat it all with the same process? Or use some wax or something? I read the Clear Coat Over Patina thread but wanted to know if anyone had any input. I'm new to all this too so bear with me if I don't sound too knowledgable. Thanks in advance!!

17. Degreaser

Degreaser

yup, i have seen it done. a guy put flames on a motorcycle gas tank and let the rest rust. looked cool. the tough part using clear instead of wax is you would have hard line where the clear stops.

18. sawzall

sawzall

igor.. maybe squarecat was telling you that?

this is my chevy..

por 15 clear (PC glisten)

[​IMG]
    the car does have beltline trim on both sides now..

its been outside most of the time for about 6 mo..

its starting to rust under the clear.. IN spots..

at some point I'll prohably just sand the car down where necessary and reclear..

still the cheapest "paint job" I have ever done..

180.00 buys a gallon of pc glisten

19. I have talked to two people that have used Eastwoods Diamond clear, and they both said it was holding up great and not yellowing after a year or so.

CR

20. wagoon

wagoon

Hey sawzall that looks pretty bitchin, do you got anymore pics you can show me...the reason why i want to clear is because i live where theres alot of moisture and it wouldnt hold up one night before rusting, and baremetal looks so bitchin