Register now to get rid of these ads!

How many guys are running fiberglass bodys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bonehead II, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Bonehead II

Bonehead II

I was wondering how many guys are running fiberglass bodys out there ?
    It seems that all the good stuff is very hard or impossible to find, the only other thing that I can think of is fiberglass or Brookville I guess.
    I though a nice '33 coupe would make a good project, but O well. keep lookin

2. roadracer

roadracer

You kiding me? I thought that we all had to keep quiet about that, or get kicked off this? ;)

I've seen how the lowly get kicked on here, I'm not saying NOTHING about 'glass bodies. Steel, baby, if it ain't real (keep very quiet).

Oh what the hell. I couldnt bring myself to use a steel '55 body - who wants a 4000pound race car? I prefer saving a few thousand pounds and I'm using a 'glass 55 Chevy that is going to sing around them corners. You trad guys can try and keep up :D

3. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Shearer's hotrods have a nice 33 2 door sedan body for sale...uncut,cherry firewall and garnish moldings....check 'em out.

4. lolife

lolife

If you can find a metal body in your price class, then use it. If you can't, use glass. Glass is all about having fun.

I've found through the years, that people who don't like glass bodies are in three classes: 1) They don't own a hot rod, and 2) They have a lot of money, and like to let you know that, and 3) They always leave a couple zero's off what they paid for their steel body.

5. CruZer

CruZer

I have a '34 Ford coupe that is glas.It's a Gibbons Viper kit. P&J chassis and Gibbons body channeled over it. It's the tightest ,best handling solid axel car I ever drove.
    I like the glas body because I'm leaving it in primer and it won't rust.

6. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

so what class am I in?

bought my steel 32 cabriolet body and frame using money I got from cutting lawns and gutting houses when I was 14. (12 years ago mind you)

7. nrfleming

nrfleming

i thought there were only two kinds of people....
    1) people that own fords
    2) everybody else

8. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Oh what the hell. I couldnt bring myself to use a steel '55 body - who wants a 4000pound race car? I prefer saving a few thousand pounds and I'm using a 'glass 55 Chevy that is going to sing around them corners. You trad guys can try and keep up :D[/quote] 3250 lb. 55 Chevy, all steel, 400 plus hp. 540 lb. of torque, M22 Muncie and 308 rears. Yeah I can probably keep up ok.:D

9. Duster

Duster

I have two fords and one Stude. In 1940 the cheap Stude was better than any Ford made. My 30 ford and Stude are all steel. the neat thing is that I have no money , I just know how to work hard for what I want. Cars are cool and who cares what they are made of. just have fun the rest of our lives. LATER

10. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

How about some pictures of those glass cars? I had a glass 32 5W coupe that I just loved. I'll post a picture of it later. Nothing wrong with glass IMHO

11. If you can't find what you want! want what you find!
    I just laugh every time I hear some one say "nothing is left"
    where did it go? I'll grant you that 32-34 fords bring a good price in any condition. if you can't afford a ford get something else, build it best you can , sell it for as much as you can and step up to a more expensive starter and repeat step one till you get what you want. I get solid cars free all the time.
    all the whoarders of old cars are keeping them safe for the next round of builders. these old fucks (like me) are dieing hundreds a day. keep an eye on the obituaries and estate sales roam around back roads and back alley's most whoarders don't have enough room to put everything inside. If you see a shop with a couple rust buckets stashed out back or better yet coverd up. go knock on the door. one thing about car guys is they like to talk about there stuff (just look at this board) be polite and clean (I don't invite scum bags in to case my shop) I've sold alot of stuff cheap to young fellow rodders that have knocked on my door. some stuff I never thought I'd sell but would give away cheap if it felt right.
    It's everywhere, but you can't find it sitting in front to this screen or TV. Get you're lazy ass out driving around and quit your whining.........Jim

Attached Files:

12. roadracer

roadracer

Can't wait Rich!

Seriously though, it would be fun to trade numbers when mine's back on the road later this year. I'd like to see how they compare, and just what difference weight really makes - I know the theory, but sometimes that's not the whole story. :)

13. roadracer

roadracer

Love that Belvedere Jim. Holy crap that's nice.

14. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Ive got 2 glass cars. My 32 coupe is an american street rod design boby just like sstreet rods by michael used for the green nats giveaway car a few years ago. its a nice body and its copied from the harwood body. My roadster im building has a gibbon body and now i know why they folded cause its junk but ill save it. There are a lot of nice glass bodys out there. I just plain got tired of working on rusty steel! Oh ya had a 34 3 window glass .. never found out whos body it was but i sold it for 32,500 ! nothing wrong with glass!
    Dave

15. BLAINE 816

BLAINE 816

Glass cars made from composite materials like race cars, aircraft ,corvettes,
    no rust, easy to repair, cheaper. good choice.

16. Wesley

Wesley

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

So I should add a few zero to what I paid for my Buick Roadster body...

They're out there.. This one was $400 in California.... Suckers keep playing with glass that'll leave more for me...:D:D:D

3250 lb. 55 Chevy, all steel, 400 plus hp. 540 lb. of torque, M22 Muncie and 308 rears. Yeah I can probably keep up ok.:D[/quote]

Whatever dude... You only got me beat by a couple of hundred pounds.. '57 Buick sitting at about 3600 lbs, ALL STEEL, Jag suspension front and rear, 400 plus hp, 500 plus ft/lbs of torque, ST400 and 3.23 gears... Oh wait that's my custom... :eek:

Attached Files:

18. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Whatever dude... You only got me beat by a couple of hundred pounds.. '57 Buick sitting at about 3600 lbs, ALL STEEL, Jag suspension front and rear, 400 plus hp, 500 plus ft/lbs of torque, ST400 and 3.23 gears... Oh wait that's my custom... :eek:[/quote]Sounds like a pretty close matchup huh?:cool:

19. Does any one make and sell a model A cowl? I dont want to destroy a steel one for my new project, and i dont need a whole car.

20. screwtheman

screwtheman

I'll second that. I made the mistake of getting a catalog for my Dad (no, seriously!) and I get random phone calls out of the blue from their sales guys every couple months.

21. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

I doubt it. I searched for T panels with no luck. It seems that other then fenders, no one is making fiberglass replacement panels. I've never done a fiberglass car and probably never will due to my good stash of tin. But, I'd certainly use some figerglass replacement panels if any were available. I think there is an opening in the market for this!

If I didn't have the tin, I wouldn't hesitate to use figerglass.

22. onelow48

onelow48
    from Maryland

I make fiberglass enclosures for all kinds of cars. I play with fiberglass every day. Casting molds and making one off's. I built my 48 out all steel. People thing glass is easy. RIGHT what ever. It's cool for creating new ideas. The satisfaction I got when my all steel project was done well you can't messure it. It's not perfect. That does'nt matter. It's real steal. You can lean on it and it does'nt bend. It looks great rusty or painted. Theres just something about it. If it was easy everbody would do it.

23. classicfins

classicfins

Well, I must admit my current project is a 'glass 27 roadster. I am a die hard beat it out, weld it up, steel rodder usually, but I wanted an early roadster to build this time around. After hunting and hunting my area (north Louisiana) for something decent at a halfway decent price I finally gave up and ordered a fiberglass body.

I'm actually excited about it because this is my first 'glass rod project and I'm learning more and more as I go along. It will not be a turning point in my life as far as switching from steel to 'glass. I'm already looking for a steel A or T sedan body to slice and dice when I finish the roadster.

24. thrasher

thrasher

i just started building a t bucket, i'd like to use a steel body but i'll probally end up with a glass one. after looking around for about a month all i could find was a touring the guy wanted way too much for.

25. 36tbird

36tbird

Your Profile Picture

Here's my fiberglass '36 project. Gonna be flathead powered with a Jeep shifter top loader. Out back will be the stock spare tire. Chopped folding top mated to the Duval, too. The hood louvers have some aftermarket stainless covers, don't show up so well here. It is going to be multi-personality as old hot rod with the side hood panels, lake pipes and skirts off. Will be a semi-custom with all that on board. Now, if I could just get the flathead built!:rolleyes:

26. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Lot's of guy's are running glass cars.
    Me, and Roadstar and Groucho for example.

B:)B

27. MENACE

MENACE
    from PHOENIX AZ

I Have A Body From New Age Motorsports On Order. Ive Seen Them At Shows And They Appear To Be Really Good. I Cant Wait.

28. TravRod29

TravRod29

Im runnin a 29 model a roadster body on mine...i woulda ran steel but u cant beat 150 bucks for a fiberglass a body...

29. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I'm building a glass 32 roadster & a glass 3W for a friend, People that think building glass car's is easy should look here http://community.webshots.com/user/langy32

Unfortunately Steel car's are not so available here so we have a lot of glass bodies.

Steve.

30. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

I've git one of each. In terms of build, the glass one seemed easier...so far. And don't give me the bull about the lack of soul in the glass car. The soul comes from the guy who sits his fat ass in the seat.