Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Westergard style '38 cabriolet?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 29, 2007.

1. glassguyOC

glassguyOC
    from O.C.

Cole,
    For what its worth, the only cars anyone talked about in that building came from you. Its refreshing that you are so candid with your opinions instead of playing the political game. I looked at your 36 at length and the flush mounted skirt fit alone is worth the price of the ticket.

You are a talented man and I thank you for bringing those cars down for us to look at.
    God bless you.

2. Scott B

Scott B
    from Colorado?

It is an amazing car/transformation.

I do think that their may be some subliminal trickery at work. I think our collective repressed desire to eat meat on sticks is at work. Cole has cleverly located his cars in front of the hotdog-on-a-stick counter.

Sure, the cars induce drool, but with the lure of snacks I am Pavlov's dog...

Attached Files:

3. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

Man - I tried to put some time between me and this post so I could let some of the shock wear off, but it didn't work and the new pictures posted dont help me any.

When I think of 36,37,38 Fords I almost ALWAYS picture a road racin', whiskey runnin' sleeper (kinda like Ryan's car - which is in my all time top 5 favorites). But this post - and more specifically Cole Foster has me sold on the custom potential.

I'll never be the same again....

I have to agree - after sifting through the 600+ photos from the show (posted elsewhere on this board) - those two were the baddest motherfuckers in the place.

One word:

Black!

4. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

Both are gorgeous cars. But the '36 Cole built fell way off course with the engine choice. If I were the owner, I'd never open the hood.

5. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Naw, just small aspects of it. Cole tuned 'em up to what you see.

The lavender cars, same thing, did the finished illustrations for those though.

The black pair made my pants feel funny.

6. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Here is my addition to the shot. The 38 was a knockout and I wanted to go back over and look at it but time ran short

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I've come back to look at these pictures 5 or 6 times... I can't shake the image of that '38 from my head... Thanks for adding more boones...

8. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

No offense.....but how is this a Westergard style car???:confused:
    Harry would have changed that UGLY grill.......hahaha!!!

I do like the car....ALOT!

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

You are flirting with a history lesson there boy... :)

10. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

There is something about the bubblous/ round looks of the front of the 38 that works so well on that car. The round grill (that is almost hidden except the swooshing trim that runs to the rear) with the rounded skirts and fenders all look so thought out but factory at the same time. The large front rims/tires give it a raised front look and proper proportions but its sits almost level...

so much can be learned from its style and simplicity.

11. Jake H.

Jake H.

Reminds me of an early-style custom I saw in R&C a long time ago. Ganahl had titled the feature "Rumble".

I hear Link Wray's "Rumble" in my head when I see those two cars, side by side. Customs are best when you get that chill and whisper "bad motherfucker" under your breath upon viewing.

12. bonesy

bonesy

In this world of coveting thy neighbors' car - It is nice to hear someone say their car is their favorite car. Cool

13. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

That explains it...

I thought the car looked awesome from the 3/4 shots but those side shots you posted blow it for me...

The wheels/tires are too big for the car...

On a car that's all black, a thing like that can fuck up the whole feel of the car... Takes it from leaning on the sinister side to leaning towards the cartoonish...

I love the car but would love it more with slightly smaller rollers...

14. I agree Ryan. One beautiful car. The only thing off about the Westergaurd look is,the height. The westergaurd cars were only lowered about 2" from stock,and many had the running boards removed. NOT saying I don't like the way it looks on the ground. I don't know where that"tires too big" thing comes from. Looks spot on to me. I will say,the interior needs to be changed to match the look of the rest of the car. Not sure what color would be best though. Maybe red. Blood red though,not Boyd red(FUCK!). Maybe we should all start calling Cole,"Don Foster".(you know,like Don Corleone).

15. 390kid

390kid

once again. thats just trully inspirational. thanks Cole.

16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Tires are too big? You guys are nuts... Stance and wheel/tire combo are spot on...

17. I concur!

18. I think most coupes/convertables 39 and down make some awesome Westergard style rides. The lines all roll and flow.

Awesome rides.

Im speechless.

Nice pick Ryan!

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Most of the old farts I talk to tell me that Harry's cars were the first "really" low cars they remember... This one (attached) is certainly pretty low considering the time period. Obviously, the modern example we are studying right now is quite a bit lower than anything built in the time period in question, but that is a concession I will actively cheer.

I love the look of no running boards on the Lincolns he did, but never cared for it on the Fords much... Luckily, Harry left them on a lot of the Fords that he did do.

Attached Files:

20. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Cole does not need any awards when he has the respect of all of us HAMBers, walking between those two beautiful black works of art at that show was awesome you did not know which one to study the most, very awesome.

21. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Very cool car,yellow fog lights do a LOT for the car in my opinion.Does Kozera still have that deep purple flamed BT Flatty ? That bike is Batman WITH taste.

22. swazzie

swazzie

Please don't think for a second that I'm baggin on ya Ryan but , I think that's a hard sell after that post about cars defining us ? I have gone back to that post time and again to try and figure out why that question so hit the nail on the head for me and this is what I have found, for myself as a knucklebuster who wants to know that what I did with my cars was a good thing , for me.
    Everyone here , I think , who has ever littered the entire garage with one of their cars and then put it back together over a deliberately thought out period of time , assembling every piece carefully to make certain that the image they create reflects how specifically they feel about their relationship to what they are doing , can attest to making a statement . It doesn't matter if we're humble about it or exude much confidence in the result .It is still there . For some , there is a phylosophy that goes with it . For others , it is a different type of personal . Although I can see how the perception of a car may not matter to some ( me included ) but some use it as a barometer to guide them in their craft or hobby . What we accomplish as builders can be a mirror of who we feel we are as people and the cars we build because of that , are the images we use to make that statement.

Just a thought . swaZZie

23. cole

cole

yeah Kent has that bike still, and has put alot of miles on it.

Kent had a 52 buick ,black,chopped convert, aluminum suitcases in back seat, and soon that car was copied alot.

a 59 chopped Cad, blue too.

24. oz kustoms

oz kustoms

Hey cole whats up man, I think the 36 and the 38 are freaking just to cool,you guys nailed it on the head,The black on both of them fits the car's period correct perfect, gold or lime green like on my merc would look cheap on them,they look like diamonds, and mine is costume jewelery, I love black but i cant have it,my 1/4 mile dusty driveway tells me no , I know that the gold old's I did won the barris at L.a , But the 36 and 38 won my vote Later Oz

25. 53burb

53burb

There ya have it Cole. From one great custom car builder to another. Lots of respect to you Oz to say that to a fellow car builder. KNUX!

26. Blitzmädl

Blitzmädl

Cole,
    just wanted to say that I´m so glad guys like you build cars like that !:)
    It gives me Inspiration and something to dream of ! The look of these two beauties is my inspiration for my 36 5wd !!!;)
    love those yellow foglights,too.
    Everytime I look at the 38 and the 36 I have to admit BLACK is THE CHOICE for a 40´s style Kustom ! looks Damngood, always does...
    Again, thanks for the Inspiration !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stefanie

27. slacker91

slacker91
    from Emmaus, PA

Me and my buddy were ranting about the 36 in class today, about how amazing and perfect it is.
    i decided that once i can do body work that good, i can die, cause im not getting any better

28. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

agree, I think the stance is right on...

29. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I feel ya... Here's where I am coming from though:

That post was about building a car with your gut and the result being something that fits your personality... something that defines you... It's not about building a car that is a statement to somebody else... Hell, I'm not talented enough to even consider a feat like that.

30. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

I agree, the stance is right on...

I just think the wheel choice, while really cool, overwhelms the front wheel opening and in turn the front fender...

To my eye, this makes the body look shorter, thicker and curvier, which detracts from the the 'laid-back, taildraggining, sinister, hide-your-sisters' feel of a trad-custom...