Register now to get rid of these ads!

SoCal folks: What's the one car-related place I can't miss when visiting?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Homespun91, Jan 29, 2007.

1. I'm taking the family out west in mid Feb. for a week (bringing up horrible mental images of the Beverly Hillbillies....:eek: ). As you might expect with three kids we're hitting Disneyland, Universal, etc. etc.....but I'm going to try to ditch them for a day & hit something just for me, finding them an alternative of course. Perhaps some nice healthful temp jobs to help pay for the nice vacation. :D

Kind of leaning towards the Petersen Automotive Museum (since Lions Drag Strip isn't around anymore...), or Blair's...what else is there? Also would consider something in San Diego since we'll be there for a couple of days. Thoughts??

2. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Go see Cal and his dog Spot! He'll stand on his head to make you a deal!:D

[​IMG]

3. Petersen's a good choice.

Do the NHRA museum as well.

Petersen's not too far from the Santa Monica/Malibu beaches.

If it's still there - check first - take the family to Neptune's Net for a cafeteria sittin' on the porch watching PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) traffic great seafood lunch with a cold one.
    (Have someone grab a porch table while you stand in line for the food.)

A little further up the coast you'll see Mugu Rock.
    A local landmark that was one of the first things seen by returning Vietnam Vets.

There's a parking area this side of the rock as you can see in the 2nd photo.

Attached Files:

4. KIRK!

KIRK!

Petersen Museum

5. stacks1938

stacks1938

The donut shop at Magnolia and Adams in Huntington Beach early Saturday mornings. You will see a 200 or so of the finest cars in the world. It is free, but come early because we go home before 9:00. We refer to ourselves as the Donut Derelicts. See you there.

6. hollowpoint

hollowpoint

like a few before me said, the peterson museum on fairfax and wilshire in l.a. is well worth the time.
    don't forget to show your AAA card for a slight discount.
    and bring extra batteries for your digital camera, you will need them.

later dude
    chuck

7. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

Bad Bobs house, him and his kids have a fleet or cars over there. :D

Peterson, definutly.

8. 55olds88

55olds88

for my 0.02 Petersons was pretty cool....

9. tobyjuarez

tobyjuarez

Go to John Finns!!!!

Acres of cars some in trees...
    good times

10. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

Dounut Derilicts is the spot. You can be there and back before the family gets out of bed.

11. BlacktopScraper

BlacktopScraper

You should check out Autobooks in Burbank(a place I worked at and blow my pay check....dangerous).
    3524 W.Burbank Bl. (818)845-0707.If you go later on a Friday you can check out Bob's Big Boy car cruise in Toluca Lake and George Barris' showroom is about a mile down the street on Riverside Dr.

12. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

I go with the Dounut Derlicks on Saturday morning in Huntington Beach and the Auto Book store in Burbank. Both free, both unique So. Cal and fun.

Rex

13. Ramblux

Ramblux

I agree. Great places.

So Blair's is a happening place again? It was in a slump when I was in high school in Pasadena, and I stopped going in the early 90s.

14. Good point, really

15. river1

river1

if you can go to Marcel's Custom Metal in corona ca. every car guy needs to go see them work. amazing is the only thing i can say about it.

later jim

16. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey

Pomona swap meet is a must do if the timing is right or maybe Hi Po swap in long beach?... is the HiPo still going!..............

17. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey

That was my 58th post I love 58's......shit now it's my 59th

18. HeyMang

HeyMang

You happen to be coming to So Cal at a very good time. NHRA season opener (Winternationals) are Feb. 8th-11th. And the 75th Anniversary of the Deuce is this Feb. 24th at the Peterson The celebration will hold 750 32's along with 32 of the most influential of all time. Good time to go.

NHRA Winternationals are Mid-February. If you go, you CANT miss the NHRA museum (a tram will take you there from the drags). Has a bunch of cool stuff from Hines 36 with Lasalle Grille to Isky's T to So-Cals Belly Tank Lakester. And some of the coolest traditional/ORIGINAL rods, customs, and gassers too.

and the Peterson Museum in West LA. Definitely a must see.

Donut Derilects in HB

Bobs Big Boy in Burbank

Have your pick!

19. Thanks, all. Some great suggestions here. I totally forgot about the NHRA museum....& I'm staying pretty close to Huntington Beach. :) Gotta get some beach time in too, so that Santa Monica tie-in works well.

Thanks again!!

20. dirt

dirt

if your free on tuesday night come out and hang out with the village idiots in yorba linda.

21. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Scandivan Hot Rods, Kennedy Brothers and Donut Derelicts..... I just got back from my second hot rod vacation from So-Cal, visited 30 shops in six days and I enjoyed the above three the most.....

22. dochorsepower

dochorsepower

Amen to the donut shop in Huntington Beach, but come early. Most guys are hitting the road by 7:30 or 8:00.
    -Bill

23. flatheadjunk

flatheadjunk
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange CA

Check out the swap meet at Qualcom Stadium in San Diego--- I'm not sure of the dates but punch in San Diego Swap Meet and it should come up. The Air Museum in San Diego is also pretty cool if you dig planes.

24. I just returned from a 3-week trip to California and Hawaii on Sunday night. Only did 2 car things while in CA....Peterson and NHRA. Peterson's was a dream come true....especially seeing the Roth/Rat Fink exbition!

NHRA Museum was cool, just to see Jack Calori's '36 was unbelievable. And I fell in love with Navarro's 27 roadster.

Pomona Swap Meet was on but I skipped it. Got married instead!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. OneRustedDodge

OneRustedDodge

NHRA Wally Parks Museum is great! I have been there a couple times. I have heard Peterson's is pretty good too.

- Jon

26. Don't come to my house. The line at the bathroom sucks!
    Peterson Museum,NHRA Museum,Doughnut Derelics for sure. If you want to meet some HAMB guys,you can visit the Village Idiots on Tuesday night. Check the calendar for any events going on. Look in Drive magazine.

27. borntoolate

borntoolate

Everybody has an opinion about Mooneyes, but three years ago I ran by there near closing time just to see the shops. One of the guys was really cool and showed me around the whole place until after closing. Among all the great nostalgic racing parts, sat the mooneyes slingshot in the garage right next to the showroom. That was incredible to see for real instead of just in mags. Besides the incredible history there, it's hard to believe the place was once surrounded by either oil rigs or nothing. I went to the Mooneyes Christmas show the next morning. I was on cloud nine........wherever that is.