Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who makes a trick Flip type gas cap?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Jan 28, 2007.

1. A friend bought one from a guy on Ebay a while back and it's just bitchen. The guy says he never makes the same one twice. There's no way to get a hold of him, but maybe someone here makes one that's pretty cool?

2. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

Who makes this one? I remember seeing a post on here a while back saying someone was going to reproduce them but never heard anything else about it. Does anybody make these new? I always thought they were cool but haven't had any luck finding one.

Attached Files:

3. The Mustang style one's alway's for sale on ebay are kinda cool,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mustang-Pop-Open-racing-gas-cap-1971-1972-1973-ORIGINAL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6763QQihZ008QQitemZ180080100465QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

4. OLLIN

OLLIN

5. Squablow

Squablow

I got this wacky looking flip top gizmo at last year's Iola swap meet. Looks like a gas cap and is the right size, but it's got some kind of lock mechanism inside.

Anyone know what it's from? I want to cut the lock center out for a flip top filler cap, but I'd like to know what it is first. Hate to cut up something if it's really rare.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. I'd sure like to know more about this one

7. OLLIN

OLLIN

yeah, those ones are on ebay all the time, that other one is cool what the deal on that one?

8. lucky 7

lucky 7

crime scene choppers make a cap very similar..

9. Saoutlaws_Gotti

Saoutlaws_Gotti

would like to know where this one came from

i think it looks bitchin on the back on this a
    and want one for mine

Attached Files:

• 3e_3.jpg
      3e_3.jpg
      File size:
      24.5 KB
      Views:
  10. HemiDave

HemiDave
    from Austin, TX

I'm collecting the ones from 80's Jaguars. They are pretty cool looking and they lock! There are 2 on a car..one on each side. Locksmith charges about $20 to make keys.

Also, 60's and 70's Plymouth Cudas and Dodge Chargers/Challengers have nice popup caps.

Dave

11. roddinron

roddinron

Jaguars have some pretty cool ones. I 'm not sure about the year, but I came across one (probably early 80's) in a junkyard, and it had 2 sort off teardrop shaped ones on the rear quarters.

12. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

Attached Files:

13. Wingman

Wingman

I believe that is the lock mechanism/window crank for the tailggate on 59/60 Chevy wagons.

14. Squablow

Squablow

AHA! I just checked and you are indeed right. Thanks for the tip.

15. Wesley

Wesley

I always liked the gas caps on the late sixties Dodge Chargers.

16. thrasher

thrasher

17. sota

sota

Someone must know the person who is making these or would make them.He also sold a few whick were smaller which look like they would work better on a rat rod fuel tank.

18. Halibrand and sprint car builder Roger Beck both produced those. They are collectibles these days. There is a guy selling a billet repro of that cap on eBay. I see them frequently.

19. AHotRod

AHotRod

20. Reds 29

Reds 29

I used one from a 69 Triumph Spitfire. Not very hi-tech, sort of plain, but it works. I got it from "Victoria British" parts catalog.
    Red

21. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

That ultra cool cap that Sealed Power was looking for is owned by Dave Mann on the Roadsters.com website. I had a fellow that wanted to reproduce them and I Emailed Dave about it some time ago but never got an answer. My computer was down about that time so it's possible he tried to contact me and couldn't get through.
    That cap is larger than some of the ones pictured in this thread and I believe they were used on Indy and Spriint cars in the 40's-60's possibly. Dave said he had never seen one other than the example he had. This would be my choice for a cap if they were available. I can't believe there isn't one in the Smith Collection at Speedway Motors. Speedy Bill has got at least one of everything when it comes to racing items. I would also think that Bill would be interested in reproducing them, last time I checked he was all about making money.

Frank

22. Joe McGlynn,Crime Scene Choppers.
    http://www.crimescenechoppers.com/speedster_prod.html

23. tattooedup37

tattooedup37

24. RUSTEE 57 GMC

RUSTEE 57 GMC
    from Tennessee

That is a Chevrolet Station wagon rear window lever that can lower or raise the tailgate rear window on your wagon. I have a 62 Chevy Belair wagon and mine is just like that you have. You can lock it with your key and it cannot be rolled down by a thief. It will just spin when in the lock position. I don't know if it is really RARE or not. I would hate to mess it up when someone else could use it. But then again, it is yours. Do as you please. It would make a neat Gas cap! Good Luck!

25. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

i got one at a bass boat supply shop for $11 that looks just like the one in the first picture on this thread... you could try a marine supplier

26. sota

sota

Is Dave Mann the one selling the ones on EBAY?

27. steevil

steevil