Register now to get rid of these ads!

Some long lost Detroit hotrod pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintagesurvivor, Jan 27, 2007.

1. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

My mom found these slides when cleaning, and I had them printed. Early 60's Detroit Eastside hot rod action.
    Notice that these are not rusty, scrappy looking cars like some people seem to think "Old School" cars were, and my Dad disn't have a ton of money either. These pics were taken in 1962. Notice the chrome FRAME on the one car! The clear roof on the T is cool too. I believe that was Benecki's (sp?) car.
    Still have the blue 29, that was my Dads, and thats my Mom in the pic with him.....I'll add a pic of it as it is now.

Mark

Attached Files:

2. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

TRJ material....

3. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

4. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

The Rodder´s Journal... Thanks for sharing!

5. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

Ah, I see :D
    Your welcome. If I find any more, I will share. I had a thread last year when I went through the old 29 and got it up and running, that one has a lot of old pics too.

Mark

6. Paint

Paint

Those are cool pictures. Bienecki owned Warren Custom Plating on 8 mile road so that explains the chrome frame.

7. This was my era in Detroit and no matter how many times we say that it wasn't all rust back then, here is proof.
    This is tradition. This is the way it was.

You need to contact this site:
    www.thehotrodsofdearborn.com

These would make a great addition to their site and add to the history of the Detroit area during this era.

8. flathead okie

flathead okie

Great pics, I saved 'em.

9. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Amen! and Hot Rods didnt have whitewalls. How many times has that popped up?
    I have friends that graduated school in 57 and in 62 they have pics like those. I need to make a trip and get them copied to disc.

10. Mojo

Mojo

That bucket with the white top is outstanding! I didn't know anyone was messing with square headlights back then, wonder what they were from?

11. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

PAINT: My uncle worked part time with Bienecki Bros at the plating shop. I suspect that is how the chrome got done so much on my car. Wondeer what ever happened to that one?

MoJo: Not sure where you would have gotten lights like that, but the plate is 61 or 62, so they must have had them back then on something. Who knows...the headlights on my 29 were SPOTLIGHTS!

12. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

I just noticed the two different size whitewalls on the front of the old mans car......thats odd........Maybe they were used tires or something?

13. toolow4i75

toolow4i75

Those pictures are cool, thanks for sharing. Your folks probably actually lived in the city at that time. I remember the chrome shop on 8 mile , worked at one in east detroit for a bit myself.

14. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

My pop was from the Conner area, by City Airport. Built the car to run on hi-test and avgas, according to a relative. Still runs great on 110 leaded ($4.49 gallon tho!)
    We used to live in Centerline from '65 until 1980. Not sure where these pics were taken, but someone seems to have had a decent garage back then. I know it wasn't Centerline. Prolly Bieneckis , or Ciprianos place. Maybe Logghe's.

Mark

15. mikes51

mikes51

Really cool stuff. That's the way it was, every payday, down to the chrome shop.:)

16. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

I'd be willing to bet that those tires had 2 different size white walls on each tire !depending which side was mounted to the outside dictated wether you had wide or narrow white walls .The passenger side tires both match ,whats the chances he had 2 matching tires on each side ?Wides on the drivers and narrow on the passengers?I have a friend here Who was raised in Cali.and he always said that he worked a machine at a parts store that ground the white walls into the sides of tires ,and that it just depended on how wide you wanted them as they all were capable of being wide whites or multiple white stripped

17. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

Interesting...I'll have to dig through some other pics and do some research. Quite possible the WW on each side of the tire was different.
    Mark

18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I was 5yrs old at that time. Believe it or not I remember those times pretty well, and family photos help to bring them back into focus. Thanks for sharing.

The square lights were probably something European. They look too big for fogs.

19. Big Tony

Big Tony

Great looking rides and i too dig the top on the bucket

20. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Great pics....thanks for posting. If you find more, please let us see them.
    As far as the different size whites, check it out, different wheels and caps too. The pictures were taken at different times...makes me wonder which was the eary version and which was the latter....

21. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

The bottom pic with the top on the Blue 29 is how I have it now. Those hubcaps were put on in about 62. Here are a few of it back then....
    This is the one in MFS 4.

Mark

Attached Files:

22. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Love the B&W pic with all the bicycles in the background......

23. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Very cool Hemi T .

24. One thing I remember that the inside whitewalls were usually Port-a-walls that were inserted between the tire and the rim. They were white rubber like a whitewall.

25. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

That could be, or maybe they were wide whites with blackwalls and the thinner portawall was on the outside....

26. You're probably right, the portawalls were usually narrower.