Register now to get rid of these ads!

Power gen generator/altenator???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by studhud, Jan 22, 2007.

1. studhud

studhud

Anyone here ever use a power gen generator. You know its the altenator that looks like a flat head generator. I want 12 volts in my car but dont want the look of an altenator. I thought of hanging an altenator on the rearend but have no room. Thoughts and comments will be appreciated . Thanks Dave

2. studhud

studhud

Whats up nobody has any experience they would like to share? I guess Im going to have to take a chance? Thanks Dave

3. DrDano

DrDano
    Alliance Vendor

The older units would fry the internals from the heat. I've heard decent word about the newer ones. We can convert your stocker 6V unit to 12V for a hell of a lot less than what one of those would cost and unless you're running a monster of a stereo or a lot of power equipment it should keep up just fine.

4. studhud

studhud

I would go for a 12v generator but my car is on hydraulics 2 batterries that are connected paralell so its still 12v not 24v. I think the 12 generator would have issues but I dont know? What do you think? Thanks dave

5. big jungle jim

big jungle jim

I run a powergen unit on my fuel injected flathead only one thing i can say FANTASTIC. It's been fitted for about 2 years and have never had a problem. The fuel injection needs a lot of juice to power it and the Powergen has never failed and it looks bitchin....

6. I think they are "one wire" units. They don't put out much at idle, so I've been told.

7. big jungle jim

big jungle jim

Yes they are 1 wire units, on tick-over at 800 rpm mine puts out 13.8 volts and rises to 14.4 max.

8. DrDano

DrDano
    Alliance Vendor

Thats about where it should be for any standard alternator or 12V generator at charge. What is needed here is more power to recharge the batteries as the hydros are used.

Studhud - If you were to get your 6v unit rebuilt to 12v with 12v fields and a new 12v armature you will be kicking out a whole lot more power than the 6v unit which is rated at 35amps from the factory. With 12v, you make more power as power is a function of the current (amps) multiplied times the voltage (12v in this case instead of 6v). Unless you are running those pumps hard 24/7 I think this setup would be adequate and would cost less than half what a PowerGen unit would. Just my biased opinion. :D