Register now to get rid of these ads!

Define yourself...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Recent post on TJJ here.

Made me wonder... Do your cars define you?

2. Mart

Mart

Yeah. Rough n' Ready, no frills, cheap, not very fast, simple, old.. should I go on?
    Mart.

3. old beet

old beet

I'm old and crusty, have a young wife and NO garage. Have a rust primer chopped 49 Merc and a black primer chopped 51 F-1, both daily drivers. You tell me!.........OLDBEET

4. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

Lessee...... old, decrepit, rusty, unreliable, occasionally cantankerous and prone to leaking various fluids. Yup, that's me alright.

5. B-Man

B-Man

When I frist read this, I thought it was whether the cars you had a passion for defined you. My favs are so scattered about that there is no rhyme or reason to my choices. But, the cars I own may define me. For the most part, they are similar - all but one are Fords. ALL have V8's and are rear wheel drive. All but the newest one have carburetors and were factory equipped with carbs. I like old and simple. Only two were even equipped with electronic ignition when new. Only one has shiny paint. I dig function over form any day.
    I don't know if I would say they exactly define me, but they are an extension of my personality and tastes.

6. Degreaser

Degreaser

jesus I hope not. my daily is a cavalier.

in my defense....i drive 200 miles a day!

7. Hop-up

Hop-up

I love my comet. But it doesnt completely define me. Id need something different, subtle touches to set it off, very fast and nothing on it that didnt serve a purpose or make it go faster or handle better. My comet's lines are nice, but it doesnt define me. The next one will though :D

8. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Not just yet cause it's not really done but we're both kinda sneaky to the point ready to go whenever, both been apart and put back together and both born in 55 a liitle rough and kinda crude. Damn I guess we are alot alike!:cool: :eek: :D

9. ARCHANGEL

ARCHANGEL

RIGHT NOW AT THIS TIME AND PLACE. THESE DIFINE ME JUST RIGHT.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Yep, simple, functional,no bells and whistles, respect the old not the new, improve on what you are or have and what you see is what you get!:D 1932 Ford unchopped coupe, black paint, black 40 wheels, blackwalls, early juice brakes, 32 axles, 39 trans,50 flatty a bit hopped up and some Patina. Winter 1968 bronco, ripped up soft top,no radio, bad heat , little defrost, rubber matt floor, steel wheels, black wall mudders a bit hopped up and some patina................... Love them!

11. Cshabang

Cshabang

i don't know if mine define me..but I believe that they kinda are part of who we are...My personality is more of the mild type of person..I don't drink, I'm respectful, etc...But my 65 Comet is loud, really obnoxious, and while car guys think its really cool, non car people tend to not like me to well when I'm sitting next to them at a light..not that I'm trying to be intimidating (those that know me know I'm not even remotely) but I think it kinda pisses some off, and scares the rest.The F100 I just got is gonna be Flaked, and will lay flat on the ground, have a pretty radical FE in it too..so maybe my cars are the "alter ego" of me...haha if that makes sense

12. javier mejia

javier mejia

yup..... silent but deadly [​IMG]

13. Wesley

Wesley

I hope not, otherwise I am old and worn out, full of crap, consume more liquids than the others around me, I would smoke, burp, fart for no reason at all, I would be really good and fast for 9 seconds at a time and then would need alot of expensive maintenance, I wouldnt look as good as I once did, I would labor to do the things I once did with ease, I would piss off the neighbors everytime I got out of the garage...... Oh no, it IS me!

14. My tagline defines me as well as being told that I have a bad attitude....and to those that say so,FUCK YOU!

15. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

I like my hot rods in the vein of grass roots, stripped down, simple, fast, and loud....just like politics and rock and roll

16. Django

Django
    from Chicago

But Javier, you have also built some of the baddest, bright, flaked cars of recent times. I sense some gray area. Same for me. I used to have some pretty outlandish stuff. Now, I'm with Ryan, early post war is what I dig the most. But at the same time I take some elements of my liking and incorporate it into something that while not truely authentic, it seems like it should be. I guess you can say the same thing for my band, the Hot Rod Hucksters... rockabilly, but somehow different.

17. I'm lazy......it's unfinished, so yep.

18. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Sometimes - People see what they wanna see and for those what they "see" is all that's important. The right car - the right parts - the right everything - must be a Traditional Hot Rod right!!?? Nope not necesarily so - you can BUY a Hot Rod - doesn't do a lot to define you other than your financial means. But go out scrounge around - find better stuff, adapt it to your ride, dream about the next upgrade - scrounge up the money, parts, help, skills. LEARN first hand what it takes to build a Hot Rod - NOW you got a car that may reflect the builders personality. It's not JUST the parts, but the journey.
    YMMV

19. old beet

old beet

J M, Holy Fuck, Jesus Kick me thru the goal posts to heaven..Nice Merc....OLDBEET

20. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

shoes worn out, back seat smells, leaks fluid, dont work half the time, back fires alot, makin noise that no one else cares to here!!!umm,,,,,,,,nope not me!!!!:eek:

21. Doing the very best with what I've got. Improving on anything I can. Subtle yet still aspiring for attention. For better or worse, my cars at least reflect me, probably define me as well.

I have a feeling that goes for every car I have owned and will own...focus may change a little, but overall goals will remain.

Bryan

22. javier mejia

javier mejia

Django- im a whore i have both [​IMG]

23. You would have to ask the people that know me.
    Of course....first, you would have to find someone that knows me.

Subtle.....in an odd way.... 39 Buick Hearse.

On the edge........75 Camaro road race car with tags(Built and sold before anyone ever heard of ProTouring).

A little wild...........Swamp Thing, Altered Crosley.

Appreciation for Classic lines..........64 Buick Riviera.

Somewhat of a tightwad.......Diesel car hauler that runs on vegetable oil/French fry grease.

How long of a list are we talking here?

24. roddinron

roddinron

Ya know, when I first glanced at this thread, I was going to dismiss it, then I started reading some of the posts and thought it was interesting to note that so many guys really did identify with one kind of car. Then I realized that maybe that's why I can't own just one, I have a 39 Pontiac streetrod, a 36 ford truck hotrod, a 54 Chevy custom, and a 71 Pontiac Ventura stocker, plus some newer stuff like Jeeps. Every time I think I have a favorite, something else comes along. I've done a lot of different things in my life, and at 58, still don't know what I want to be when I grow up, so I guess that inability to pick something and stick to it sort of defines who I am, which I think explains the assortment of cars, and the fact that I'm always looking for something else. The only reason my collection is as limited as it is, is a lack of funds and storage space. I think if I had Lenos money, I'd probably own more cars than he does, and a wider variety.
    So yeah, I guess my collection of cars and the fact that none of them display enough time and effort and attention to detail to be outstanding, speaks volumes about who I am. A guy who can't make up his mind, and has way too many varied interests to devote enough time to just one thing, maybe I just have a short attention span, they didn't have ADD testing when I went to school.:rolleyes:
    racyredhd, that was great!

25. JamesG

JamesG

Mine define me. Everyone says that my car fits me..... whatever that means...

26. Hans

Hans

For me it's mid-50's.

Early GM small-block
    Deuce rails or mild channel or both
    Mild chop
    Mild reds, yellows, greens, black and maroons, even some flakes
    Painted solids with baby moons

Something about the transitional period from quite 40's to loud 60's.
    Kind of like the first evolution in American hot rodding for me.

Also kind of like myself...mild yet a bit wild.

27. ALLISON

ALLISON

Wheres the robot? I kept talking to that thing thinking I was talking to you, dam you drunk robot!!!!!

28. PhatCaddy

PhatCaddy

I try to be the attention getter but my girlfriend and Caddy seem get all of the attention.
    Flashy and one of the biggest around is the Caddy, just one of the biggest KIDS around is me(6'4", 240lbs).
    Brian

Attached Files:

29. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

My car defines me..................sometimes.
    It is..........loud, dirty, & fast.
    Rebelious.

I don't always feel that way though. I need more cars.
    Different rides for different moods.
    Someday.

30. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

No, actually, I think what others see in our cars can provide them with insight into us. We all take our hulks and shape them to our personality. Mine are always going to be understated, not flashy, performance oriented, naturally original, and working towards the perfection of my eye.

Others can throw junk together, putt it around and are perfectly content while others must be pristine, proper, private. Hence, the reason there is no "true" hotrod, but only the variable vision of the cohorts who practice the art of the vintage car.