Register now to get rid of these ads!

let's talk trad steering.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tinmann, Jan 20, 2007.

1. tinmann

tinmann

I need to make a decision fairly quickly here. I'm building a very traditional deuce 3w (see avitar). Today I had a '39 steering box and column mocked up in the frame as well as a '51 F1 box and column. Both will crowd one header tube location (to be built) on the flattie. The F1 will require surgery to get its three bolt mount flush to the inside of the unboxed rail (like it's explained in the Bishop/Tardel Bible). The '39 will need a fairly intricate mount fabbed to get it mounted under the motor mount. I suppose the only answer is to pop the frame out of the jig and put the body back on with seat and pedals and decide which "fits" me better in terms of length and angle. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to either, one being cross steer and the other push/pull? Talk to me..... convince me..... as always, thanks for your input.

2. tinmann

tinmann

.....anyone?

3. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

mount it under the dash, go sprint car style!!

4. 38pickup

38pickup

What car are we talkin about here? even though its different I will have some pictures later today how I did the steering / mount on a 38 column for my '38 pickup thats channeled 10 inches.

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

Fenders or no fenders?

6. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

loose the fenders with my idea

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

This car was a survivor hot rod from the 50s with a complete 39 steering column from Banjo wheel to the pitman arm with cross steering. It even used the 39 locking steering drop at the dash. I didn't see any interference problem with the flatty mounts. I'm sure the box location was dictated by the dash mount and not vice versa. It looked like the body was never off the frame. I think it will end up farther back on the frame when located this way than if you locate the box in a bare frame on a jig like a Vega box.

[​IMG]

Here is my F100 box in my mock up frame and like you I can't drill the mounting holes until I get the body on the frame to establish the correct angle. I don't want to estimate it and have to elongate the holes later to get it to line up right. I'm having too much fun driving it to tear it apart right now.

My guess is that you will need the body on the frame to dial in everything using either option.

8. My vote's for the cross-steer setup.

The pics below - courtesy of KiwiKevin - are of a five window from back in the day.

I understand he used a 56 Ford pickup steering box although the car came into town in 1955 running an Olds Rocket.

It spent some time getting the Desoto engine, but that was probably done within a six month period - if that.

So it's conceivable the column is an F1 and a 56 pickup wheel added later.

Even so, the interior shows the column angle.
    I sat in the car once and everything felt about right.

If the drag link has to angle back a bit, that shouldn't be a problem.
    We all try to get draglinks in cross-steering setups parallel with the tie rod, but if it's required to bring the drivers side end back to match up with the pitman, no big deal.

Attached Files:

9. I meant to add this last pic.

Hope it's a help.

Attached Files:

10. tinmann

tinmann

So I spent the day positioning the '39 box and column into my deuce frame. I sectioned the stock '39 mount to get the box as high as I could and as close as I could to the flathead motor mount. I put a deuce firewall in place for a look. With a little heat it looks like the pittman will work at decent angle to the cross steering. It seems that the column will be far too low once the steering wheel and seat take their places. I'm going to have to put the body back on for a better look. If it's close to right, I'll have to cut a column wide slice in the firewall to raise the coulmn up where it needs to be.

11. Blair

Blair
    from xx

I'm running a 39 box in my A. I have a 283 not a flathead, but I had to joint the shaft, because otherwise it went right by one of the ports. Here's a pic from a while back.

steering.jpg