Register now to get rid of these ads!

I've been told I have bad gas ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Dad, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Big Dad

Big Dad

I have a hot rod truck that does not get driven as often as I'd like

but, sometimes it goes a month till I start it up again

It seems to lose PRIME ..ok up to like 3 weeks, but 4th week
    will not start ..

Is anyone else expericance this ..guy that I know says
    the fuel gets bad and does not have enough left in it
    to fire truck

Should I call bs on this or ?

2. ...several of my friends and myself have experienced the same thing,...they say the gas evaporates out of the carb as it sits unused. What I've been doing is to just dump a trickle of gas into the carb and it usually fires rite off . It smoothes rite out after the float bowl gets full. Try this, see if it works for you.
    ...a friend says if you put a small amount of gas in a contaner with no lid, it will be gone (evaporated) in a couple days; don't know if that's normal or not.

3. Big Dad

Big Dad

well, maybe he is right ..guess fuel is so poor this day and age
    it has shelf life

I try to remember to fire it every so often
    but when its cold..don't want to gas myself out
    in garage

4. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

B.S.-I've gone a lot longer than that between startups and I just have one word for you: 'ether' (starting fluid)

5. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

It`s probley just bad mexican food ! yuk yuk yuk ? with a electric pump I let mine run till I here it stop , give the gas pedal two pump`s and it start`s right up . after 6 month`s or more after it`s been apart for awille ? I have only had bad gas once and that was from that pancho`s all you can eat buffet / I mean after I let one sit for 3 years ! I don`t think you have bad gas ? but Im staying up wind !

6. 4tford

4tford

I had it happen on my last car it seemed every time I let it sit for a few weeks it would have to crank a long time to get fuel to the carb. My current car has a electric pump and does not have this problem. Both carbs were and are eldebrock 4 barrels. I think the gas evaporates after a few weeks out of the carb.

7. OldSchoolObee

OldSchoolObee

8. Eagletucky

Eagletucky

does it burn when you fart?

9. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

It wouldn't happen to have a quadrajet on it, would it? They're famous for the well plugs in the bottom of the main body leaking, and if you run the vehicle regularly, you'd never notice it. When my '68 LeMans sits for an extended period, the gas leaks out and I either have to give it a shot, or crank the hell out of it until the bowl fills back up.

10. Big Dad

Big Dad

Eldelbrock performer carb
    Carter mechanical pump

I need a cute 20 something leggy blonde (female)
    to hang around, start my cars, run errands

So, if you know anyone .. have them send resume'

11. rixrex

rixrex

the un-leaded gas we have now can go bad in 2 to 3 months..I put a little of that Sta-Bil product in my tanks, it helps....

12. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

had this happen with california gas. it seems like we have more "shit" in our gas for polution. when i bought my oldsmobile if ft collins, CO all it needed was a little ether and a new battery, ran like a champ after sitting for a couple yrs. when i got in ca and it sat for 2 months it had the hardest time starting, change the gas, fierd right up. so i think they are changing shit on us.

13. 47 Tudor Guy

47 Tudor Guy

I have a 75 Dodge truck that does the same thing. After sitting for a few days it won't start until the carb get a fresh dose. If I run it everyday it is not a problem. I think my trouble a combo of the carb losing fuel and also with the fuel pump leaking back slightly and not holding fuel between pump and carb. I rebuilt the carb, and replaced the pump, but it still does it. I just live with it cuz I hardly ever drive it.

14. Toystoretom

Toystoretom

My 55 Buick and 66 Caddy both do this... they both have Eldelbrock's, which doesn't really matter... If you shut the car off hot the big old cast iron engines will help some of that fuel evaporate and the foat bowl goes dry. I usually have to crank it for 30 seconds or so to fill the float bowl back up it the car sits for a long time...

15. Big Dad

Big Dad

Has a aluminum intake

I never keep cranking but, I do not think it will go without
    dumping fuel down its throat

It is just a PITA

16. Sticher1

Sticher1
    from Ct

Hey People the GAS that they now give us they say has a shelf life of about 30 days then starts to go south... Sta Bil works but have heard too much and it starts to gel not realy sure about the latter

17. rodknocker

rodknocker

is it possible you have the wrong size carb for the motor? too much or too little?

18. Big Dad

Big Dad

Should be dead on .. 440 with a 750 eddie spaggatti

runs fine, starts up fine if you crank every 20 -25 days

go 30-32 days .. nope

The shitty gas idea seems logical

19. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT