Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wiper Motor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tattoorigger, Jan 21, 2007.

1. tattoorigger

tattoorigger

Hey guys, I need help on my 51, It has original vacuum operated wipers. What is the trick on making them work faster, or is there one? Also, if not which electric wiper motor would be the best replacement

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

51 what? If it's a Chevy or Ford, I'm sure that electric conversions are available, and that's the sure cure. A double action fuel pump may help the stock vacuum motor.

3. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

The cure for vaccum wipers is a Newport Enineering drive kit(if they have one for your app).
    They are a little pricey but are a direct bolt in replacement for the stocker vaccum unit.

4. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Don't know what you've got, but should be able to adapt many different electric motors to the original linkage. Otherwise, try New Port Engineering (I think) - they have many electric conversions - all bolt-in in both 6 & 12V.

http://newportwipers.com/

Damn - I don't type quickly enough!

5. heard that the rear window wiper from a mini-van might work. got a feeling they must be direct drive. check it out

6. Big Olds Dog

Big Olds Dog

Running a Newport conversion in my 48 Pontiac took 20 minutes to install if that long. my buddy runs a ford ranger motor and wiper trans in his 34 nash. seen subaru and mazda truck wiper set ups in others
    Newport well worth the money

7. i like the newport engineering wipers too. i see in your profile that you have a `51 chevy...according to newports website they ony have them available for 12 volt system.. have you converted to 12 volts or still on 6 volts?

http://newportwipers.com/index.php

8. Kruzer63

Kruzer63

Well eventually i planned on runnin an electric conversion on my 53 Poncho but then one summer right when i needed my wipers the original set up quit movin all together... they were always really slow. So i pulled it apart, looked inside and nothing seemed broken in the vaccuum motor, so I decided to clean up all the old grease thats in it, and i sprayed in some WHITE GREASE from the spray can, those wipers have NEVER worked as good as they do now. I dont think i will be changing mine to electric now as they were great now.

9. ...try this even easier way, shoot some WD-40 in the opening where the vacuum hose goes on, run the motor, repeat repeat. It'll swell up the leathers inside and cleans up the dried on grease. Worth a try before you take everything apart...got friends who say this works great.

10. tattoorigger

tattoorigger

The car is converted to 12 volts. Thanks to all who replied, I will try all. I am sure one of these suggestions has to work. If not I will just use my hands.

11. A long time ago I fixed the vacuum wipers on a '57 Ford by just taking the vacuum motor thing apart, cleaning up everything and oiling it, then putting it back together again. It worked fine after that. It was full of crusty dirty stuff, so just cleaning it up inside was all it took.

12. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

I've always used the newport units and have ever had a failure.

13. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

So far I have got my old ones to work on my projects by cleaning them. Most are caked in crud or froze up.
    My 49 Fords would barely lift up. I cleaned them and now there like new.

14. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I used one of these newport wiper motors on my 48 Olds conv, and I am totally satisfied with it. They are great people to deal with, and have a motor to fit almost any application you can think of.

15. 36tbird

36tbird

Does anyone know of an upgrade for '65 Chevy Trucks? On my '36 Fords for their overhead type wipers, I have used the Specialized cable drive set-ups which are neat because they come with a multi-speed, self park switch with a washer mode included. I have like their set-up a lot, but they are pricey and I'm glad to see some competition out there to bring the prices down. I guess that is what I want for my '65 'burb, multi-speed, self park, washer wipers. How do I do it? Lou.