Register now to get rid of these ads!

BLOWN FLATHEAD BUILD FINISHED-part3

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatoz, Jan 20, 2007.

1. flatoz

flatoz

Well, I think I can say that it is together, and running. I drove it into town today and stoped in to see lowsquire, thanks for the coffee!

it went forward, it went backwards, it idled, and made the right noises and didnt boil. So for the moment that is as content as I can be. Rat Bastad and I are heading off to Canberra on Wednesday for a Hotrod run there, so I will try to get a few more K's on the clock before then.

Its currently raining, so I am going to go and clean up the shed and start on a few other things that need doing.

There are still a few little things that I wasnt to do, but for the moment they can wait until after i get back.

heres some outside photos. and the links to the two previous build up photos.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140774

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147998

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:)

2. Man, that roadster is HOT!! It really has the look.

3. Great stuff mate! Good to see it back together and working as it should. What brand are your rear tyres?
    Cheers
    Jimmy

4. corey,
    good stuff, bet your glad to be back on the road. now to see how it performs.
    Al.

5. That car gets older every time I see a pic. In a good way, of course. Way different from when I first saw it at the Geelong nats.

6. See you at the white Ibis Wednesday night.......I'll save some domestic swill for you

7. flatoz

flatoz

Thanks all,

Kev, I'm pretty happy with it!

Jimmy the tyres are cokers, old ones that are made here.

Al, taking it easy on the motor , it has more in it, but just want to run it in, the 97's dont have enough cfm for the motor so have to take it easy not to lean it out. at least until I put a pair of bigger carbs on it. by next monday I reckon it should be run in.

X38. thanks. I am getting there. still alot of little things to do. But I am much happier with the car now. especially having a brand new engine. that has always been something I have wanted to do.

Halfdone, I was thinking about you today, better show me were to get some of that good bourbon you can get up there. You wont see me till Thursday as we will get in pretty late wednesday night so we are staying at jimbobs.

8. Well done Corey it's good to see it back on the road.

Aren't you glad that you kept at it even after the little hissie fit when you missed the Kustom nationals.

Binga

9. All is at peace in the world again hey Corey! Good to see it back out. I'm guessing you're going to enjoy the long haul to the CRAKK run, awesome road tunes. 2 blown flatties!!! It doesn't get much better.

Can't wait to see how it goes once fully sorted....

10. flatoz

flatoz

Thanks guys.

Binga, you have to know the bad to appreciate the good and I firmly believe that. Im sure you've been there with yours where you just think , cant anything go right???

Brett, I am looking forward to getting it sorted. I think a good stint behind the wheel will increase my enthusiasm bigtime. However I am taking half the shed with me! just incase of course.

I guess its the scout in me!

11. Pffftttt.......you dont need half the shed man, its a FLATHEAD !!! Great to hear its all good and runnin sweet. Need some Stromberg WWs ???

Ill C ya on Wed arvo for the run up to KRAKK. Gonna change out my oi/l & filter and give her a check over/tidy up for the run up there.

Got a video cam? This trip could be the making of a great HAMB post !!

Rat

12. big jungle jim

big jungle jim

Really pleased for you, car looks so cool and i bet it sounds even better. Just out of interest what boost are you running.
    Now go out for a drive and kick some sbc ass...

13. LIMEY

LIMEY

Damn fine job........just re read the whole build up again, feckin excellent!
    I'm just about to build my own big inch flatty minus the blower set up, very inspired & love the way you went about everything even with all the every day hurdle's.

We need to hear this thing run on you-tube! ;-)

Nearly forgot....tell me about your cam break in, time, lube & rpm?
    Kev.

14. deuceguy

deuceguy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Krikey - that's fair dinkum that is. The look is right on!

15. Great job . . . have read all of your posts. If you're looking for a bit more carb - you should consider the Holley 2110 carbs. They made them all the way up into the 70's (VW stuff). I used two of them on a 286 cube blown flatty - with a huge .450 cam . . . ran very well and were not too lean. They use standard Holley power valves, jets, etc -- so easy to tune and screw with. Best of luck. Dale

16. Magnus B

Magnus B

Great job. Both on the car and the engine.

I need more info on those tires. What size are they and tall are they? And where can I get a set?

Thanks, Magnus

17. flathead okie

flathead okie

How about a close up pic of the motor ? Looks great.

18. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Just spent an hour re-reading the whole thing, front to back - awesome! Inspiring too! I loved the banter the best though!

Now - where's that extra block & crank? ;)

19. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

Flatoz , you da man ! I`ve been flowing the post`s and love them all . beautiful car and motor ! and great work ! hope it will fufill all your wildest dream`s ! Casey. " note to self build blower motor to beat flaoz , move to oz ! drink local swill ! mmmm swill ! . here are some of the flatheaded locals , that run down the track here in texas we need more fatheads ! maybe next year I can start on my blower motor ? bought concrete this winter , for big shed - shop

Attached Files:

20. Terry

Terry

That is one of the sexiest things I've seen on the HAMB. Way to go!

21. Nekronomicon

Nekronomicon

Well done chief, feels like ages since I've seen your car! Looks good now though, except for that numberplate :D

22. Tony

Tony

For me, that car is one of the slickest 32 roadsters i've seen.. It just look's perfect from every angle.. And a blown flattyl make's it just that much better..
    Very, very nice car!!

Tony

23. flatoz

flatoz

Thanks all,

limey, 20 minutes to break in the cam I did it in 3 lots as my electric fan went out so I just ran the motor until it got to 200. I used a moly based lube will look at the brand, it was black. coated everything in it.

sgt... Yep 71 XY beaut ute.

B&S they would be the ones! I just wanted to get the car going with a known quanitity, when I get back from canberra I will be swapping to the 2110's.

Magnus, they are cokers that were made in Australia in the 70's so I'm told their 7.50x16 WWW but I have them turned to the inside so I get the blackwall.

flathead okie, there two links above that show you more than one photo of the motor in build up, but I will take a close up as is now for you.

HRA, love that channeled deuce any more photos of it?

Nek, yes the plate... will sort something out and soon.

again thanks guys. I'm hoping to enjoy this motor for a few years now.

24. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Great looking ride..........& a blown flattie to boot!!! Great job.

paco

25. QQMOON

QQMOON

Great job see ya at Crakk

26. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

GOOD SHOW!!!! That is one of my dream engines. May your engine always run at thermostat temp, always start and never foul a sparkplug!!

27. drhotrodmd

drhotrodmd

That's great news the car is on the road again!

28. tmf

tmf

Corey
    Looks great well done. I wished i was going to the CRAKK run again would be good to check it out really close. I wont be going this year on hols down your way at Sorrento. If you want to come this way for a run in run give me a call.

Troy

29. tmf

tmf

Yer i saw the run but thought i may go up to the VIC Show on Friday. I will wait and see what the weather will be like though.