Register now to get rid of these ads!

Andys story........hang'n on to a dream.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by movingviolation, Jan 16, 2007.

1. movingviolation

movingviolation

Hey everyone,

Before i start, i asked Ryan if this would be ok to have hang'n around on the forum for a bit. It was given the green light to share this story with you guys.

This is the story of a young boy, Andrew Dunn. The son of a Hot Rod friend of mine, and a kid who i enjoyed having cruise with me on those warm summer nites.

Andy was born with a rare disease, skull base chordoma. The odds of me or you getting this is 1 in 10, 000, 000. And only 75 cases have been reported since 1923. So we are talking fighting a war with something that the medical community has very little knowledge of. So little knowledge that doctors thought Andy was looking for attention...Til the tumor seperated his skull from his spine and he was rushed to the Janeway hospital for emergency surgury. At this time they discovered a plum sized tumor that tangled itself around the nerves and veins in his neck.....a tumor that would require surgury thousands of miles away at a hospital that was equiped for such a surgury.So off to the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto for Andy and his family.

Once in Toronto, they were forced to try and remove the tumor through Andys mouth. And after months of recovery and treatment they expected a full recovery and home Andy went. Once home andy was given the "Jack Cornwell" award from boy scouts. Only 2 other local boys have ever recieved this honor. (This is given to a scout who displays a high level of courage and character) This honor is supposed to take place in February at goverment house in Ottawa............Now this is where it go's sour.............

See my buddy Andy just recieved news that this tumor, which was operated on a year ago is back. And this has Andy being the brave one in the family, keeping a positive note for all the family to follow. Who would expect a young man with such a problem to be the tough one? Not me.......... So i figured with the weight of the world on Andys shoulders that i would try and bridge the gap between winter and summer again, when we can get out a cruise. Hang on to the dream that Andy has of some day owning a rat rod.

He is that involved with hot rodding that he had a flat head given to him for his future project. And anyone knows where Newfoundland is knows flatheads are not common here any more. Im keeping my fingers crossed that Andy will be able to return the cruises we had with me.......

So this is what i ask..........

Id like to keep Andys spirits alive, and help him through what ever the Doctors have ahead for him. I'd like you guys to drop Andy a line, send him a pic, or a sticker from your car club..or shirt...or even just a hello. Tell him of your rides if nothing else. His e-mail is [email protected] . If you choose to send a pic of your car or any of the above ideas...even a card please pm me and i will assist in keeping the dream alive.

Thanks for your time guys...........i'm just passing it forward.

Leon House
    Newfoundland, Canada

2. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

You know, I think I just got a name for the truck I just bought. HAMBANDY.

3. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

Hey...
    That is a story and a half my friend...
    I will be e-mail'n him 2-nite..
    My daughter was in same type situation and she alwayz got her sprits lifted when folks wrote to her...

Pontiac Slim

4. old beet

old beet

How about an address?.............OLDBEET

5. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

holy cow!!!!!makes a guy feel like a tool for bitchin about lil stuff!!!!GOD BLESS this kid!!!!he must of with a friend like you!!!what size shirt does he wear???i dont have a hot rod shop but i have one kinda 50's style from out resaurant!!!
    what kinda cars does he like best??opr you just want us to send our car pics????

6. movingviolation

movingviolation

Andy Dunn
    c/o Atlantic Powertrain
    30 Glencoe Drive
    Mount Pearl, NL
    A1N 4S8
    CANADA

This is his dads work, i figure it will be quickes way to get things to Andy since they live on outskirts of town

Thanks so much gang..........

Leon House

7. Rusty

Rusty

Tell him the Dirty's will say a special prayer just for him.

8. Hi Mate,

Address would be good, I have some flathead speed equipment to send. What year motor?

Danny

9. ...our prayers are with him and his family,...and somethin goin out in the mail tomoro.

10. THX_138

THX_138

in my prayers for sure

11. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Has he got a HAMB calendar?

12. saltracer219

saltracer219

Hi,could you let me know his shirt size. I would like to send him one of our 219 studebaker hall of fame Bonneville shirts. Thanks, Gary....

13. TERPU

TERPU

What size shirt does he wear? I'll send him one, and a n address like Oldbeet said. I would have pm'd you but I figured here so everybody could get that stuff.

Thanks,
    Tim

14. movingviolation

movingviolation

Andy Dunn
    c/o Atlantic Powertrain
    30 Glencoe Drive
    Mount Pearl, NL
    A1N 4S8
    CANADA

This is to his dads work, it will get to Andy quicker this way!!!!

I'm guessing he is a large.

Reguards
    Leon

15. breederswife

breederswife

Breeder had this post up for me to read when I got home from work tonight. God puts his angels on earth and it is obvious that Andy is one. He makes you think about life and what it is really about. God Bless him, his friends, and family and all of you that respond even just in prayer for him.

16. butch27

butch27

We have nothing to complain about!

17. zues

zues

Does he know about the HAMB. You have already talked to Ryan about this so run this by him. If Ryan will make a HAMB tag and send it to him I will pay the 50 bucks. Everybody needs a HAMB tag for their first project. Shoot me a PM if it's a go. Clay

18. I just sent him a long letter and a lotta pictures...what a great reason to share your own world with someone like andy, someone we dont even know....do it, and you will find it does you some good, too.

19. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

E mail sent !! A very Touching story

20. It seems like it takes a tragic situation for people to respond... we all need to do that every day...just because.

21. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

is there any room to sticky this for a week or two?????:)

22. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

How old is Andy?
    I cant stop thinking about this young fellow.
    Is his health good enough to start a project?
    How are his families funds?
    thanks for sharing. He has plenty of prayers from this end.
    Sending an email now.

23. brainfrz

brainfrz

Email sent. Keep the Faith Andy and its ok to let your family know how your feeling. We'll be praying.

Jon

24. bigdreamsnobux

bigdreamsnobux

Gooday Bye!!! (Newfie slang for hello!)

I grew up in PEI (just south of Newfoundland) and I have been to Saint John's a couple of times to get 'skreetched in' (where they make you shoot a glass of rum and kiss a big cod fish).

I have sent an email, and a promise to have a look down here for a project for him if he would like. Wisconsin has A LOT more vintage tin that what rusts to nothing on Canada's Maritime coast (believe me I know).

Thoughts are with him.

25. the-rodster

the-rodster

26. fastfreddie

fastfreddie

Our prayers go out to him and his family, and a little something is going out in the mail.

FF

27. movingviolation

movingviolation

Andy is 11 years old..............

His health.........he is on pain meds, on the outside he is fine...the inside.....i guess only doctors can answer this, and maye his family.

Funds......that is personal information i am not privelage to.

However, he is now registered on the site as "HAMBANDY" and reads your threads and e-mails. I recieved a very up beat phone call from him lunchtime.

Thanks to everyone who has contacted Andy or has sent him a care package......lets keep the dream going....

Reguards
    Leon

28. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

lets give this a bump for the kid!!!:)

29. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

E-mail sent and prayers are are on the way too. Thanks for letting us help in any way we can.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  30. Old Roadster

Old Roadster

E-mail sent to Andy, My prayers are with him.