Register now to get rid of these ads!

spray on salt protectant?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skajaquada, Jan 15, 2007.

1. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

i remember hearing about something that the guys at bonneville sprayed under their cars to keep the salt from sticking and after spending a few minutes searching i can't find it. what was the stuff being used? thanks for the info in advance!

2. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

WD-40, Salt-X are a couple.

3. tomcat46

tomcat46

I've heard of guys using PAM cooking spray as salt protectant before they head out on the flats. Anyone tried it?

Tom

4. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Thats an old dirt track trick to make it easier to clean the mud off wings, body panels etc. Probably would work on salt too (?)

5. TV

TV

I bought Salt X to spray the salt off after it was on the car. It seemed to work OK, But it is to get the salt off after being exposed. I don't know what would go on before.--TV

6. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Salt Away........

7. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

8. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

cool, thanks for the input so far guys. i have a customer at work that was asking about it and i told him i remembered hearing about something like that on here and would check around. he was talking about spraying the underside of his truck with motor oil to keep the corrosion down this winter.

9. Greaseballs

Greaseballs

If you are not picky about what the underside of the vehicle looks like, then consider this:
    I use a mixture of old oil (drain oil from the crankcases of my engines) and a mild phosphoric acid solution. I mix the oil and acid at about a 3:1 ratio into a cheap $20 garden sprayer, about 2 gallons in capacity. I get the vehicle up on jack stands at all 4 corners and take off the wheels. Then I start soaking the underside and wheelwells with the mixture. Keep it off the car's paint and off of your skin.

10. Ol Blue

Ol Blue
    from In

My son used PAM cooking oil spray on his rear fenders to make it easer to clean the rubber off after a day at the drags.

I used PAM on the underside of the fenders and the rockers on my rental car that I drove around on the salt last year. I drove through the Wendover car wash and the under-car-spray cleaned the salt off very easily. I also silvertaped garbage bags on the inside floor boards for easy cleanup there too. Took the car back to rental agency with no complaints.

I imagine that you could buy cooking oil in bulk and use a garden sprayer to do the whole underside of your personal car with good success and not such a dirty mess as motor oil.
    Ol Blue