Register now to get rid of these ads!

Suspension swap for '56 Caddy.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Caddyq, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Caddyq

Caddyq

Hey guys I got a '56 Caddy coupe and I want to get a set of Fatman dropped spindles. I don't want to convert to their IFS cuz my factory stuff is way heavier duty. The problem is '41-'55 Caddys had the same front end parts but something changed in '56. Does anyone know if I can just swap out '55 parts and put on the dropped spindles? If anyone has a '41-'55 with a stock front end would you send me some pics? Thanks. JQ

2. Greaseballs

Greaseballs

Does Fatman make drop spindles for a '56 Cadillac?? I might be interested if they do!

The front suspension on the '56 Cadillac was, if I remember correctly, a 1 year only design. Cadillac changed the design again in '57, eliminating the king pin set up and going to ball joints on the a-arms. My '56 shop manual does not say what had changed from '55, but I remember noting some differences when I was looking into a disk brake conversion.

If I had a '55 shop manual to reference, we could have this solved in no time at all!!

3. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

ask chip from chips caddys hes got the shop manuals on CD

www.chipscaddys.com

hes also taken apart a few that i know of!

4. Caddyq

Caddyq

Hey this is what I've got so far from the Cadillac/Lasalle clubs tech director, I'm suprised he andwered....
    "...a check of the master parts book does show a different part number for the Steering Knuckle for 1956. Part numbers 3510445 and 3510446 (left hand and right hand for 1956) do show the addition of a small king pin seal (p/n 1464115) which might require a slight machining modification on the 1956 part. The very small price difference between 1955 and 1956 of 35 cents probably supports that assumption. This seal is placed on the upper of the two interfaces between the steering knuckle and steering knuckle support (the non weight bearing interface).

This might lead me to guess that the 1955 dropped spindle support might be made to fit either by eliminating the seal or by machining the steering knuckle to accept the extra spacing required between the 1955 and 1956 parts. "
    I will continue the search from Chips Caddys...
    Thanks guys

5. Greaseballs

Greaseballs

Caddyq, let us know what you find out. It would be good to know if those Fatman dropped spindles could be made to work on the '56. Maybe contact Fatman with the info that you have and let them determine the solution; this way they expand their market for that part.

Keep us posted.....

6. Caddypete

Caddypete
    from Dago

Don't know if this helps, but I've got a 53 Caddy that I wanted spindles for. I called Fatman and first the guy said that they dont make them, then corrected himself and said " sure, we'll make them but it'll cost ya about $100,000." Aparently, for the forge, or whatever, and the first however many spindles that have to be bought. How many people actually need those spindles? If they interchange between years, I'm sure there's sufficient demand. I' know I'd buy some.

7. Caddyq

Caddyq

I'm going to check out Fatman tomorrow they make the front clips for the IFS (but i dont want lightweight suspension), and I'm waiting to hear from rare parts. Hopefully its not $100gs.