Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for Model A pick up advice....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChevyGirlRox, Jan 10, 2007.

1. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

I really am not even ready to think about my next project since the '48 GMC isn't done, but as we all know we ALL do it.
    I recently bought quite a few 29 Model A pick up parts with the intentions of building an rpu to help fill the void the t-bucket (RIP 8.6.2006) has left in my life.
    However, there is a Model A swap meet this weekend nearby and I would like to 'off' the pieces I don't need and look for those I do. I called a Model A parts place to try to figure out what was still in production versus what wasn't but they weren't very helpful because (A) I'm a girl and (2) I made the mistake of telling them I wanted to build an rpu.
    SO I guess I'm still wondering what, if any of these parts can be used for an rpu or should I just sell everything?
    Here is what I have:
    -2 cab corners
    -2 of the complete 2 piece backs
    -2 pretty decent doors
    -2 drivers side fenders (an obvious sale item!)
    -2 running boards (would like to integrate them into the bed somehow...)
    -1 cowl gas tank
    -misc windshield frame pieces
    plus a few other little odds and ends

I guess i just figured on chopping the cab corners and doors off, but i've basically been told you "can't" do that.

Looking for advice...
    Thanks.:D

ps- i plan on putting this on a model a chassis

2. flat 30

flat 30

im doing a 30 pickup right know would like to see pic of parts to see where you at and where you should go

3. Jalopy-Phil

Jalopy-Phil

Don't sell any of it till you're done. I am in the process of building a cab from scratch. and I wish I had kept the the stuff i "thought" I didn't need.

Good luck

4. hammeredabone

hammeredabone

I have a 29 pickup in pieces as well, also would like to turn into an rpu. May start on this as soon as my other projects get done.
    Why can't you cut the top pieces off? Your project, your choice.
    Do you have a subfloor? If you channell it you probably could use tubing instead. Do you have the cowl posts that the gas tank and cowl panels attach to? I have an extra, if you find one at the swap meet make sure it is a truck one, the hinges are different than a car cowl. I can send you a pic of mine if you want to see the difference.I think you could sell the top pieces you don't use to go towards what you need. Hope this gets you going on that rpu!

Gordon

5. pitman

pitman

If you mean to cut down a closed cab, into a roadster pickup, you need to consider if you will ever want to sell the finished vehicle. The response I got when asking an old rodder many years ago, was: "You mean you want to butcher it?"
    Eventually I saw the wisdom of his words.
    Apologies if you mean otherwise.

6. CHRIS 57

CHRIS 57
    from Upstate NY

29 Closed cab doors are worth a pretty penny. Howell sheetmetal sells doors and cab corners for a rpu.

7. If they are 28-29 closed cab doors you are looking at big money!!!! DO NOT CUT THEM UP TO BE A RPU!!!

I'm going to the swap in Medina also. I have a '28 closed cab truck I'm in the process of building. They repop cab corners, upper and lower back panels lower cowls, upper cowl/tank cover. They do not make cowl posts,(Different from RPU to CCPU) and they don't repop complete doors (outer skin is $65 lower door patch is $32)

Lat time I saw you it was raining pretty good at the Canton swap(I was with Dave aka Littleman)

I'm on my way into work now. PM me and I can help out alot with the CCPU/RPU information!!!!

8. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

All very insightful information. This is exactly what I needed!
    I don't have a sub floor or the cowl posts for the gas tank. Now when you say cowl panels, you mean the pieces on the bottom, below the tank, right? I have those.
    I guess there is a big part of me that hates to cut up perfectly good model a doors.
    I don't really want to channel it, I want it to have more of a modified stance.
    I have also been thinking about building it and just not putting a top on it. Wasn't it open on top with wood bows and vinyl top or what? I have looked to find one "stripped down" online without much luck.

9. Sounds like you need to make a small trip up to clevelands fine east side and visit curly and me.....He has a pick up cab and I have an original RPu body, so you could compare and we live like 4 min from each other. Plus, I missed you in the rain at Canton too. Don

10. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

I think you are right. I just PMed Curly about meeting up at the swap meet. Are you coming?

11. CHRIS 57

CHRIS 57
    from Upstate NY

12. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

13. CHRIS 57

CHRIS 57
    from Upstate NY

Yes, the parts fit well and ship quick. Price is not bad either, I think they supply MAC'S with a lot of sheetmetal.

14. the-rodster

the-rodster

A real roadster pickup body is the same as a roadster from the back of the door forward. Roadster cowl posts, doors, and windshield will interchange with RPU.

Rich

15. hammeredabone

hammeredabone

You could build a closed cab truck and not put a roof in it or make the roof removeable for summer. If thats it, you just need a Apillar, subfloor or at least subrails. I have that and extra brackets that fit on the top and attach to the top of A pillar. You then could buy the subrails from brookville or fab some up. Do you doors have latch's? These are hard to find and pricey. You should look at the other cab mentioned in thread, take pics of the parts you need, should help you at the swap recognize them, maybe get a better deal if you know what it is versus the person selling does not know.
    If you have reservations about cutting this stuff up then don't. Once cut it is hard to go back to stock. Check out an original rpu, body is quite different than closed cab truck, I think just the gas tank and lower cowl will interchange. If you don't want to cut up your truck body for an rpu, an rpu is what you really want, I would sugest finding an rpu body and getting that or trading your stuff for one.
    I have had good luck dealing with Howells. Quite to ship.

16. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Anyone have a pic of a regular rpu body handy so I can begin to see the apparent BIG difference?
    Like you said, I would really like to 'know my stuff' Sunday so I can get some deals.
    Any and all pics are helpful, school me!
    Thanks!

17. the-rodster

the-rodster

18. manacoem

manacoem

I am currently working on a closed cab PU .. Most of the sheet metal is from Howell's. Quick and easy to deal with .. The subframe was found thru MAC's . that was the only place I could find one.. I'll try to clip on some pix to give you an idea what the closed cab skeleton looks like .. Hope it helps.

manacoem

Attached Files:

19. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

manacoem-
    you have all my parts in action! in a very very very clean shop.
    looks good so far! do you have any pics of the top of the truck? that is my big area of 'concern'....
    Like I said earlier, I would almost consider building a closed cab truck and leaving the top open if it looked ok.

20. manacoem

manacoem

All I have is a pic of the Top wood laying on the floor.. I'll try to get a pic out yet this afternoon.

Attached Files:

21. Heres a few of mine in the build up phase. Its got a 4" chop

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Thanks for the picture Taildraggin.
    I have marked his pictures 'y' and 'n' to indicate what parts I do and dont' have to start this adventure. In terms of cowl and pillars, about all I have is the tank.
    Keep the ideas coming.
    viva la HAMB!

ok, never mind on my pics...it won't let me post them right now, I'll try again tomorrow.
    Thanks for the help

23. manacoem

manacoem

OK I'm back... had to go to supper. I took a couple more pictures both with, and without the bows in. Makes me want to toy with the idea of a fiberglass lift off with a HARTZ CLOTH fabric glued over to mimic the original soft top.. I've seen this done with quite a few roadsters and it is very difficult to distinguish between it and a real soft top if done corectly!! It could be carried in the bed for bad weather on the long trips , and yet give a breezy roadster feel at the same time without the BUGS between your teeth... I and my wife had our own upholstery business for over 20 years , and this would be a fairly simple task in my opinion!! And it doesn't take a brain surgeon to do interiors and upholstery, just a lot of slow planning trying to solve the next problem before you get to that point. Mostly common sense. Hope this gives more fuel to the dream.. It seems that I very seldom end up with my original vision of what I want to build... Just way to many neat ideas flying around and not enough time, money, iron to do them all

Later (manacoem)

Attached Files:

24. What are the two small strips laying on the floor under the to bows for. I have them in my top wood kit and am not sure where they go.

25. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Here with go with the pics I talked about yesterday...

Attached Files:

26. manacoem

manacoem

I have no idea.. I'm guessing that maybe some applications need them , but I've tried to find a place on every inch of the cab trying to imagine the possibilities. Got a feeling it might be so obvious that I'm gonna feel stupid if and when I find out. sorry I can't help!!
    Later Jerry
    (manacoem

27. PIC OF THE BACK OF THE CAB: anything you marked with a Y you do not need for a RPU....but I can use HAHA. You can also buy all the correct RPU pieces aftermarket or make your own with a sheetmetal shear, brake and a beadroller!!

PIC OF THE FRONT OF THE CAB: The Cowl Posts, Header panel and the cowl piece under the windshield that you have marked N you don't need for a RPU.
    The lower cowl panels you marked Y are the same for CCPU or RPU,and car. The firewall you marked N is someting you may need and is the same for all 28-29 models car or truck (And most of the time is replaced by an aftermarket or homebuilt recessed one anyways) The rest of the Y's in that pic are the cab corners and back panels mentioned above.

Now the good news...if you have the proper doors for this CCPU as someone mentioned earlier you could sell them on Evil-bay and buy repop RPU doors and still have cash in hand!!!!I've seen rotted ones go for 150.00 each and solid go for $450 EACH!!!! I shit myself when I searched down the ones for my truck!

If you want a RPU you can buy every body panel after market and they are the same parts as 28-29 Roadster cars from the doors forward!

28. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

I feel like I'm on antiques roadshow! I am going to try to get some good pics of all of my parts and pieces and bring them to the swap meet on Sunday. I guess after I look around there and have a few chats I'll make my decision on what to do.
    If I were to buy a rpu body I would like it to be "authentic" and not a re-pop. Or is that a pipe dream?

29. 31pickemup

31pickemup

I am also going to the media show! Have you heard of Snyders. They are in Ohio as well and they sell just about everything for model T's and A's. They have a great website. I've bought parts from them for my 31 PU and they were great quality.

Adam

30. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

I have heard of Snyders. They are the ones that think I'm crazy : )(see first post). In all honesty though, you are right. I have dealt with them for my job before and they are great. Great stuff, decent prices and fast service.
    Watch for me at the swap meet, I'll probably be the only girl there....
    Better yet, just look for the confused blonde...