Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bendix style brakes on 30s and 40s ford axles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Jan 6, 2007.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I keep hearing people wanting 40 to 48 brakes for their ealry Ford axles but those brakes have to suck compared to the bendix style brakes,after I get a couple projects done I am thinking about finding a 36 to 40 Ford which will be flathead powered and I would want better brakes without putting disc on. What I need to know is there any Ford product that has bendix style brakes that will bolt on earlier axles. Jeff

2. take a look at `53-`56 ford f-100 brakes , the how to is in the tech

3. The dilema is being tied to using the original ford 12" drum/hub. You can use the later 11" ford bendix brake but you must also use the drum/hub, which can be installed on the early spindle with a mix/match of bearings and races, but looks like not-12". If keeping the early 12" drum is desired, the only 12" bendix brakes are the Lincolns '39 to '48, the Wilson repo psuedo-Lincoln, and the late '40s-early '50s ford F-2 truck brake.
    The '39-'40 Lincoln is $$ and super-deep, requiring you to use the matching hubs and use early spindles with the hidden-bearing trick as well. They also are the smaller '32-'36 bolt pattern. Thats why they arent used alot (besides being really scarce).
    The '41-only Lincoln fronts are $$$$$ because they will bolt right onto a '37-'48 ford spindle. They are the same depth as fords and the same later bolt pattern. Impossible to find. The Wilson repop is a sort of combo of all the Lincoln styles...it looks like the '39-'40 style(kinda) but is the same ford depth as the '41 front. Ford F-2s are just like '41 Lincon fronts but even harder to find. If you find a set though theyre usually cheap. '41 to '48 Lincoln rears are the same depth as '41 fronts but have the holes for the E-brake cable. Smart guys figured out to just weld up the hole so their prices are about the same as the '41. '42 to '48 Lincoln fronts are medium depth but Dave Wilton in So Cal makes an adaptor ring that spaces it out on the spindle to align with the ford drum.
    The '39-'40 Lincoln and the Wilson dont have the extra outer dust ring(which looks really cool) and can be used with any ford 12" drum (the Lincoln still requires Lincoln hubs). The '41 to '48 Lincoln and ford F-2 require the '46-'48 style ford drum(the kind with the flat lip and the hub flange mounts outside the drum rather than inside) because of the outer dust ring.
    People have been chasing the bendix brake issue since back in the day. Most people having given up and just use the Wilson deal. Unles youre not like most people(...I dont, I have '39-'40 Lincolns).

4. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Check out Wilson Welding Lincoln brakes...or look for 53-56 F250 brakes - use the search function.

But, the early brakes aren't all that bad - drove w/a set on my '33 Ford truck as a daily driver. When adjusted properly, they stop quite well.

5. I agree with Ernie. I have 46/48's on my 36 and if done properly,shoes arced to match drums, longer lining towards the front, large bore wheel cyl., everything set correctly, your good to go. To me, the early cars are not that heavy to warrent the lincoln brakes. Just my .02

6. I thought the early Ford brakes WERE Bendix brakes

You're not thinking of SELF ENERGIZING or SERVO brakes, by chance.

7. Yea, I had 'em on my hemi-powered '34 for 40 years. Just swtched over to '39 Lincoln self-energizing brakes a couple of years ago.

The new brakes do stop better but not as well as discs would.

8. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Nope. Early Ford and all fixed anchor brakes are Lockheed style.

That's exactly what he's talking about - Bendix-style brakes are floating at the bottom with the star-adjuster & are self-energizing.

9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If I build one I dont want crappy brakes like I have on my 37 chevy p/u so I appriciate the info,since it wont be fenderless I dont care if they look period correct. Jeff

10. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

I have a 41 or 42 Lincoln set-up (spindles, axle, backing plate, hubs etc). I was hoping to run the 45 fin Buick drum with the Lincoln backing plates. In the alternative, I figured I would go with the Buick set-up including the Buick backing plates. I realize there is some machine work in this set-up, but I've read that it can be done.

Comments would be appreciated. I hope I'm going in the right direction.

11. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Search for Buick Drums & you'll find many options besides expensive Lincoln...

12. vintakes

vintakes

i removed the chevy disc,s from my 34 and installed 55 ford f250 backing plates with wilson welding hubs and multifinned buick drums the problem here is the F250 backing plates are "flat" the linc are "recessed" i had to have about 3/8 machined out of the width of the buick drums to gain backing plate clearance also kinda wierd the F-250"s have a single piston wheel cylinder car seems to stop ok but i have nothing to compair it to the 55 F-100 backing plates and drums wil fit with adopter inner bearings and seals you may have to grind some off the top of your spindles king pin boss for brake hose bleader valve clearance will look for bearing and seal part numbers and post if i find them also 14 aluminium wheels will probably not clear the buick 12" finned drums i had to run 15's john

13. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

You can replace the F250 wheel cylinder with F100 wheel cylinders by drilling a single mounting hole. The F250 rear wheel backing plates are the same (no parking brake - it was on the trans/driveshaft) & come with a "normal" wheel cylinder.

BTW, your post, which is very informative, would be much, much easier to read if you used a modicum of punctuation... ;)