Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's Wrong With This Pic.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by low springs, Jan 7, 2007.

1. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

More than a few guys have bought beautiful cars on the web or over the phone and brought them to us needing us to fix the suspension. "what do you mean I need a new suspension?! I just bought this car!" It's hard to make someone understand that it takes twice as much money to redo a pile of shit than it would have cost to do it right the first time.

2. Wow!! I haven't seen that much bird-shit and bubblegum in a long time.

3. 53chieftian

53chieftian

I was just thinkin "I bet he got a real sweet price on this job"! One of those times when a person shouldnt go cheap on the work!

4. zealot9802

zealot9802
    from SoCal SFV

thats scary. ass beating is needed.

5. Most bagged cars get low first then get the engineering later -or never.....You know ,hurry up an get the flame throwers on there......:rolleyes:

6. Merge

Merge

Oh my god! Thats one of the major reasons that i refuse to buy a car thats had that kind of major modification done to it. You just never know whats hiding. Very scary situation. Glad the guy didnt get hurt!

7. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

I bet this is not the first time the car has 'collapsed' on the road, judging by what looks to be a repair to this cutout section. I'd also guess the owner took it to the same back yard bodge merchant to get it repaired judging by the same 'quality' of work.

[​IMG]

8. Darby

Darby

It's not the hiding--it's the not looking. Did the owner even look under the car before he drove it out of the shop? If I was un-educated enough to not understand why there are 459 things wrong with that job, I hope I'd at least be smart enough to have somebody else inspect the work who DID know what they were looking at.

That's a whole car full of scary. I'm glad nobody got hurt driving it. I kinda hope somebody at least got hurt building it.

9. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

HEY DANTE, IS THAT TRANNY JOHNS LINCOLN ???? CANT TELL FOR SURE FROM THE FUZZY PIC.

THAT CAR IS VERY COOL LOOKIN' ........ BUT HAS HAD PROBLEMS EVER SINCE THEY PUT AIR BAGS ON IT.

MY FRIEND TOMMY WAS DRIVIN IT ONCE WHILE VISITING A BLEW A BAG ON THE FREEWAY ... INSTANTLY ON THE GROUND.

HE TOLD ME ABOUT THE SHOP BUCKLEING THE 1/4s.

ONE MORE REASON FOR ME TO HATE AIR BAGS !!!

10. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Man that is some serious dogshit.

11. HotRodHon

HotRodHon

The problem is that John is just too honest and way to trusting .
    Does John still own the car?

Craig:cool:

12. Gumpa

Gumpa

This is exactly why I pay the $60. an hour for a welder to come to my home and do the welding on the suspension or frame after I have everything all jigged up and cut to fit. They bring the truck with the welder and do certified welds and the job is done right all the way with me watching the whole time. I will weld on the body or floor but nothing on the frame or suspension. I know I am not good enough. Gumpa

13. Whiplash

Whiplash

Wow!, I think I know that builder!, I had a model A chassis like that and I cut it up amd made it into an ugly engine stand.

14. Did the 1/4's collapse from the drop on the ground? or because it was no longer structurally safe from that goofy c-notch??? I haven't touched a welder more than twice in the last 15 years, but damn, I think I could do better than that with a blindfold and a mickey of lemon gin.....

15. plan9

plan9

yah thats tranny john's lincoln...

lots of big name body men attached to this car... its badass :)

16. FastJaggersSC

FastJaggersSC

Theres a difference between crazy and dangerous, and dumb and stupid. "Rat rods are built to be low, fast, loud w/ creative and innovative craftsmanship/fabrication. Those pics illustrated above are just plain dumb, stupid and ingnorant. Looks like a job from some stereo shop guys.

17. Mojo

Mojo

Unbelievable. I can build better than that, and i'm an idiot. Looks like it's time for a frame swap! It would be a good oppertunity to do it right this time. I bet the frontend is a mess too. It's a wonder it didn't break the "control arm" mounts at the frame. The c-notch doesn't make sense, the shock would have bottomed out long before the axle would have met the frame. What a shame, the body looks great though.

18. SilentMind415

SilentMind415
    from Stockton

HOLY SHIT are the only words that keep coming to mind, I'm a HORRIBLE welder and know almost nothing about modifying suspension and I could do better then that. It scares the hell out of me to think there are other cars out there that this shop could have done out on the road......Jesus

19. guiseart

guiseart

I don't think I would've hit the highway with that... and I'm an idiot.

20. razorwire50

razorwire50

wow glad no one was hurt, but some one need to be!!! Go stomp a mud hole....

21. That is some scary shit. I can't believe someone would do that kind of chassis work!!

22. That's obviously NOT a 4link. That's more like the strut-bar set up on a Ford Thunderbolt. It was designed to go straight. It doesn't flex when you turn or go in driveways. So what happens is the frame keeps flexing back and forth til it breaks at the weakest points,next to the welds. NASCAR does a similar setup. A car like that,not for racing,would be better off with a four-link or just leafs and lowering blocks,IMO. With bags comes compromises.

23. I've seen that car up close and personal. Knowing who did the body work, and the quality of it made me never consider looking under it.

Thats scarier than the Granada we got in the yard with a center link made from a piece of 2 inch angle iron.

24. Gator

Gator

That's pretty shitty work, I bet it looks even worse in person.

25. eric

eric

didn't bill hines do the window frames on that thing??? if he did, i'm sure he also did the chop and body work?? sucks that a car thats been graced with such talent got a hack job where our eyes couldn't see.

26. Illuminating and revelatory.

27. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

yes, this is Tranny John's car.

this car has been touched by Dick Dean and Bill Hines.... Watson layed some paint down before too.

28. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

sad...........thats a nice ride..he needs to find a frame builder...good luck..........rooster

29. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

That's the 1st thing I noticed... it went all down hill from there.... :(

30. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Alright. Let's get one thing straight here. Yes, The welds blow, but I assure you it wasn't the fault of the welding process. Mig welding, when done properly, is just as sound of a structural weld as any other process. in some instances, probably better.

The suspension set up on that car is just WRONG. C-notch-fucked and WRONG.

"whatchamacallit link" fucked up and WRONG

Panhard bar- upside down and WRONG.

Bag set up. WRONG.

shock angles. WRONG.

material choices. WRONG.

blocks over all that crap, and BOLTED on. WRONG.

Jesus. it's ALL wrong. I don't care if God himself came down and welded it together with holy urine, THAT SET UP WILL FAIL.

It's that simple. Don't blame the machine. Blame the dipshit using it.