Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T But Universally Applicable. Parallel Leaf Springs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adjustablejohnsons, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Working on my 1970 Jeepster. Need to replace rotten spring hangers on rear. Currently has shackles on both ends of the springs,

Are shackles required on both ends of the springs. I've seen cases where shackles are only used on the rear end of the springs and the front eye is bolted straight into the hanger.

2. Got any photos?

3. Took some this morning. Got to run back out to shop to get camera.

4. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

how does it stay in track if the spring can move fore/aft?

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Dual shackles would be hard to figure on an open drivetrain...normally, the unshackled end on an open drive truck spring vehicle acts as the locater for the axle. Cars with other locaters and parallel springs need to free up the spring somehow to avoid conflicting arcs of motion. Early Chevies with torque tube had a pivoted axle mount at center, and I remember one tech article about installing double shackles on a car that had ladder bars for the same reasons.

6. Don't have a pic of the front and it is raining big time now. Front looks just like the rear.

Attached Files:

7. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

does it have something else to locate the axle or is the front edge mounted to the frame?

8. Shackles on both ends. Only other connection to frame is via shocks.

9. !?!?!?! Seems to me the axle would swing forward and aft...

10. Yep. Look at the picture of the car. The rear axle is not centered in the wheel wells. I guess the thing to do is do away with the front shackles and rebuild the rear hangers.

11. knuckle

knuckle
    from Missery

On the front place the hanger in front of the axle for a better ride.

12. My best guess is that previous owner put shackles up front in el cheapo attempt to lift it. They are headed for shit heap now.