Register now to get rid of these ads!

? Frame Strength ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Alex Holweger, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Alex Holweger

Alex Holweger
    from Deer Park

would a triangular frame be strong enough to hold a 31 plymouth with a 440 and 4 speed transmission. ALONG BEING ABLE TO DO A WHEEL. with the point toward the ground and the flat spot on top. the top will be 3 in and the 2 sides will be 2.5 in.

2. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Why in the world would you want to go to all the effort to do something like that? Build or buy a conventional frame.:)

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. Alex Holweger

Alex Holweger
    from Deer Park

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Posting things twice just wastes bandwidth.

Still wondering why the triangular frame? If you DID use triangular (which you shouldn't), you would want the flat side to be down. All your tension will be in the bottom of the rail. You don't want the tension to be distributed over the point of anything...

6. Is this a joke? Sounds like it would collapse pretty quick.

A stock '31 Plymouth frame is 6" tall x 2" wide C channel. I boxed mine with 3/16" plate so that it could hold up to my big block Chevy. I also put in lots of heavy crossmembers.

7. pitman

pitman

Scooter's earlier post about using 2 x 4 x 3/16 tubing is on the money. the loads are vertical...for support, and torsion resulting from engine torque.

8. Alex Holweger

Alex Holweger
    from Deer Park

I was Go to make my frist car crazy and do something no else had the guts to do. also i heard triangles are stronger then rectangles.

9. telecaster_6

telecaster_6

Maybe do a triangle frame for a honda, no one has had the guts to try that yet.....come on...be a pioneer....

10. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Original frames had only 3 sides, basically C-channel......so I think your 'idea' is doable......if done correctly.

I'll BET if you weren't a FNG, you wouldn't be gettin' such a hard time.
    *EDIT*( I just read what ya wrote below........I stand corrected)

Just think if Plowboy or Littleman hadn't built their crazy shit.......

11. Alex Holweger

Alex Holweger
    from Deer Park

i'm 16 still in high school and screw rice burners.

12. the triangle shaped frame rails doesn't work for me. if you are looking for something different , and want to show off your fabrication skills and WOW them..why not try a tube frame like this (not mine...stolen online)

[​IMG]

13. Alex Holweger

Alex Holweger
    from Deer Park

I've seen to many tubular frames done and thats kinda a dragster look. not what i'm look at for mine.

14. well then , if that's the case..and it appears your mind is made up.... i say go for your triangle frame

good luck and post some pictures , i look forward to them

15. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey brotha', your drive to do something different is right on the money man! Good for you and that's what the world needs. Two thumbs up for that attitude.

There's something you need to do right now... you need to listen, ask questions, and pay attention. You're 16, you've said so yourself, and we all fully respect you and especially dig the idea that you're getting started earlier. You have however asked a question and we are answering it. Different is good. There is also this thing called nature. In nature there is science, properties of materials, math and definitely some laws of physics (back to the science thing). If you want to have a trial and error life, than don't listen to anyone or do ANY research. We're just being honest with you and we don't want to see anyone get hurt.... this being said...

you're material is NOT substantial enough. The world is not over though. You could take a risk and build yourself a triangular frame using LARGER material. I don't know where you're going to get it, but if you could construct it out of triangular material that was 4 inches on one side, and 5 on each opposing side and about 3/16 thick, you might have something. You WILL pay out the rear for special materials and you will have a lot of problems related to the general construction of the frame. If you have the drive (which you've proven already), have the bucks and most importantly the skill to build something like this, than get started.

We're here to help, not shut you down. Just do some research, check out materials already available and keep us posted. You have your whole life to knock people on their ass. Don't end it early by making a frame that will kill you...

16. Why do you keep increasing your type size? It appears as if you are shouting. Keep your type size the same as we all use and it helps.

17. HOTTRODZZ

HOTTRODZZ

Hey 36 3 WINDOW -

I don't mind If you post pictures of my Work, But aways Tag it with my name.

Ok..?

Alex, do some modeling on your design.

Its a lot easyer to show people what you want to build with a picture or model

Show it to guy's you know who have already built frames & see were your design works & were it is flawed.

One more thing - if you try to go ( maxx radical ) on yout first try - you might burn out before you finish - Many, Many, Many crazy ideas get started with out ( honestly ) thinking bout how much time it will take & what it will really cost.

Rich Pauza
    PAUZA SFD Inc.
    PAUZASFD.COM

18. yes, you are right..i meant to include a link to your website , but somehow it got lost in the process..sorry , but i did mange to mention i stole it online

19. Alex Holweger

Alex Holweger
    from Deer Park

Type size got bigger because i forgot what i used. i plan on building this frame this weeked. thanks for the tip on tension over the tip scootermcrad. i thuoght of a new way to fix it i'll put a pic of it on soon. sorry about not put your name got the pic off google.

20. So you're 16- Here and you say you are screwing.....That is a comforting thought, we can all be happy about.

I suggest you start with a basic car/frame/project and pay your dues in steel rather than ink...
    We will respect that more than toppling the "establishment" with a Triangular frame.
    We all aspire to do something different,It is just damned near an ipossibility at this stage of the game .:D
    GOOD LUCK KID. WELCOME HERE...

21. Never seen a piece of triangular tube type metal in any auto in my time. Wont find it race cars, production cars, old cars. You'll find ovals ,squares ,rounds, rectangles . I have seen aluminum extrusions inside aluminum subframes that have triangular shapes. But never in any load bearing members of an automotive structure. The question is why? The answer is simple triangles dont have the strength of squares , rectangles, ovals or rounds for the loads and forces that automotive frames and structures are subjected to. If they did you would see triangles used through out the structure of an automobile.
    Are you taking a physics class in school?
    This could be a great project for class . Build a scale model of the chassis in square, rectangular,or round tubing and another in triangular and subject it to a load test to compare the strength of each design . Undertaking a project like this should answer all the questions you have and will give you a good understanding of the loads , forces ,and strength that result from the design and materials used.

Best of Luck

22. Alex Holweger

Alex Holweger
    from Deer Park

I work at Jim Sibleys shop. I think whatever i plan on building he can help me with it.

23. Youre in good hands there dude - Listen to Jim...

24. hotrodsneverdie

hotrodsneverdie

Hey Alex, who the hell is John Miller? I think you have Deer Parkinsons disease.
    DAN