Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the best way to pull a transmission in a junkyard?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bluesfella, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Bluesfella

Bluesfella

So, even though the Pick and Pull has a big half off sale right now, the Florida ones don't participate.

Regardless, I'm heading out there next weekend to try and snatch a T5 transmission out of a Firebird...hopefully it's still there.

The Pick and Pull has all of their cars sitting up high on their homemade jack stands, but I'm a little scared to climb under there and yank out a tranny.

Also, how do I get it down? I was thinking of bringing a couple of nylon straps and strapping it in place, then lowering it when I get it unbolted?

Anyone have any tips for me? Should I just pull the engine and tranny at once with their loaner engine hoist and then unbolt it when it's on the ground?

2. Anyone have any tips for me? quote]

On the way to the junkyard I'd swing buy the unemployment office and pick up a couple of $5@hour helpers. Furnish the tools, beer, wine and let them pull it for ya'.

If the car falls on them, call 911 and book.

3. chopped

chopped

Stuff some rims under the car so it can't come down. Stick a couple tires under the trans and let her rip.

4. I've pulled T5's out of Fords w/o a jack, in the JY on their stands. As long as 3 out of 4 stands have weight on them, and they have a wide base, you'll be okay. You can let the input shaft rest on the bellhousing on the way out, let the back of trans down low (maybe bring some wood blocks) and wrestle it out from there.

I'd only pull the engine if you can't get the trans out, or if it looks much easier.

Thanks,
    Kurt

5. jerry

jerry

The T5 isn't that heavy. Just make sure the car is solid on the supports that they are using.

I've done it like always, on my back and pull it on to my chest and roll out form under it. Or tie a rope around the tailshaft, get behind the car and pull!!!

jerry

6. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Every Pull-a-part I've ever been in has wheel barrows you can borrow to haul your stuff.
    Bring your floor jack, and a 3- or 4-foot long, 12- to 18-inch wide piece of 1/2-inch plywood, and a ratchet strap. Haul them to the car in the wheel barrow, and you're golden.
    If you don't have the plywood already, swing by Home Depot and buy a sheet and have them cut it. At least one cut is free.
    Brad

Brad

7. the couple pick 'n' pulls in my area won't let bring floor jacks in, but they put the cars up on stands made from welded up wheels so they are pretty high. I've done it a couple ways. T5's are light and you can kind of wrestle them out by hand, things heavier than that what I've done is support the tailshaft housing with whatever junk yard supports you can find, stay as clear of it as possible and use a pry bar for the "crash" effect. The piece of rope idea I kinda like though,, might try that one next time.

8. MENACE

MENACE
    from PHOENIX AZ

Swing By Home Depot And Pick Up A Day Laboror

9. chitbox dodge

chitbox dodge
    from dunlap tn

i like the wheelbarrel idea. our local place (when in the mood) will pick it up with the tow motor for you while you work your magic.

10. Mad-Lad

Mad-Lad
    from California

stick some tires under the trans and let it fall. If your not sure on the supports holding up the car DONT GET UNDER IT. Stick some blocks or wheels under it first.

11. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

push the car over, let it fall on it's side, then take the tranny out

12. Dino

Dino

I pulled the T-5 out of an S-10 on those jackstands they make from wheels by myself. When I got it unbolted I let it drop onto my chest and then rolled sideways and dumped it off me. The T-5 is not very heavy.

13. 5window

5window

Sorry,that sounds like a Darwin Award project to me. There are just so many safer ways to work on a car than having parts lowered onto yourself-what if some newbie 15 year old tries this with the wrong-heavier part? And I kinda like my ribcage intact.

14. brownbagg

brownbagg
    from grand bay

I always pull the motor and trans at once and leave the motor, somebody will thank you for pulling the motor.

15. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I pulled one a month ago from a truck up on the weldedrim stands. I broke the trans to bellhousing bolts loose (bring a leverage "helper" - i.e., a piece of tubing to slide over your ratchet handle), placed a used tire under the trans, and then undid the crossmember and engine bolts to let the engine drop down at the rear when I knocked the crossmember out of the framerails while NOT under the truck. It's easy to get it out then. Then haul it out on the wheelbarrow.

16. Actually it's not as bad as it sounds, you don't have the car up so high that it "drops" and hurts you. You have it just high enough, working low and slow you should not get hurt. The weight is mostly on your arms holding it up and the rest of the weight is laying on you while you manuever it. I have done this before in the dirt, not any fun whatsoever that's for sure - but - it can be done. I'm sure others out there have had to do this before over the years as well. When the garage is not an option you do what you half to do.:D

17. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

yea make sure you bring a good bar to get those bolts that hold the trans to the bell housing. i had to dig thru some cars for a make shift one when i pulled a t-5 at the local pick and pull. there light. make sure you do all the up top work first and to make it easy on your self just pull the shifter out. its only 4 10mm bolts and its easier then dicking around with it. o and dont take the trans if its behind a 2.8 there input shaft is only 1" and they suck and there is no way to adapt it to a sbc . i went down that road all ready.

18. 32chevysedan

32chevysedan
    from Texas

Shouldnt be a problem getting the tranny out, just dont rock the car to much. I buy all my engines and trannies at the pick and pull and have never had a problem with a car falling(knock on wood). Most are up an these home made jackstands that used to be rims and have a metal plate welded to the bottom so that the rim wont turn over. Just be careful and push on the car a little before you climb underneath. Also, take a buddy that usually cuts down the time that your under the car in half.

19. Ole Pork

Ole Pork

Yeah, what the hell, you ain't droppin' a Buick Dynaflow. You can handle that T-5 w/o too much problem. Just use common sense and be careful. I like the rope idea too. Never tried that.....Ole Pork

20. 50shoe

50shoe

the local u-pull here has these meth-heads driving big skid loaders around moving cars here and there. give them a 5 spot and they'll take one of the skidloaders and flip the car on its side.

losen the trans, spend your $5 and yank it when the car's on the side, thats how I pulled the last T5 from a S10

21. MOPARMORTUARY

MOPARMORTUARY

Do It Like They Did In The Old Days Set It On Your Chest(much Lighter Than A Cast Iron Power Glide) And Have A Buddy Pull You Out By Your Pantlegs.

22. geemann51

geemann51

Good Ol' Jerry 'bouts sums it up.....

Day laborers in a junk yard? I thought it was about the hunt AND the kill...

23. LongnLow

LongnLow

a couple a' wrenches and a 12 pack usually work for me.