Register now to get rid of these ads!

31 5W Coupe Build up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chopperman, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Old Roadster

Old Roadster

BITCHIN That's all i can say. I saw this thread when you first started and look where you are now. Keep the pic's coming and congrats on the promotion.

2. Chopperman

Chopperman

BIG DAY TODAY !!!

Got the body off the saw horses, cut the sub frame out, did a rough 4" channel, assembled the front end, and started on the rear.

My dad came over to help out, which was AWESOME. I haven't spent any real garage time with the old man in years :D

PICS

Attached Files:

3. Chopperman

Chopperman

More

Attached Files:

4. THIS THREAD ROCKS!!!!! Cool to see someone's project move along at such a fast pace! That body wasn't that bad,compared to many others,that we all start with.Can't wait to see that engine between those framerails!!!!:cool:

5. Chopperman

Chopperman

Thanks man :)

I'm shooting for March for the first test drive :D

Got my second wind and went back in for more....

This rear end came with the coupe when I bought it, I have no Idea what it's out of, but it's 55" from WMS to WMS and I have 4" BS wheels.I opened it up and it's in good condition but I think it 's to narrow. I think I'll need 1.5-2" spacers to make it work

Attached Files:

6. Larryboy?

Larryboy?
    from Isleton,CA

Hey RJ, larryboy from pirate..been following your thread for a coupla weeks and finally joined here today. Nice work,d00d!!!!!

I came by your place once and bought something from you one time. I forget what?

I found a '29 A pickup that i'm trying to get home in the next month or so. Everything that isn't 4x4 specific is coming off the crawler on going on the A.

7. Chopperman

Chopperman

Your going to love this place. It's the PBB for real hot rods. What are the plans for the P/U ? start a build up so we can see it being built. Good Luck

RJ

8. Larryboy?

Larryboy?
    from Isleton,CA

This place is pretty cool.:cool:

The p/u is gonna get everything out of the crawler. 4.3(running a full hood to hide the 4.3)/700r4/toyota rear end(disc),gas tank in the bed with the in tank pump,PRP seats,full cage. I've got a set of spokes off a '54 imperial that I've been carting around for years, 5 x 5 1/2 bolt pattern. I may do a front end like you did for safety's sake. Planning to run the fenders if it looks okay. It has a chop already, hopefully it doesn't need a full rework.

9. Chopperman, progress is looking good. Been following this thread since the beginning. Got a '30 A project myself (just collecting parts now though). Keep it up, it keeps me inspired!
    Oh, and I'm a wheeler also, and on PBB, but just lurk there anymore.

10. abonecoupe31

abonecoupe31
    from Michigan

I wouldn't beat yourself up for paying $3k for your body, that's the norm these days.......we can't get them for $25 anymore...and not as rusted out on the bottom as a lot of them are...

Enjoyed following the buildup.

11. Chopperman

Chopperman

Last PIC for the week.

I did some quick mock up. I stuffed the rear end under there and I've got some rear spring issues. Also found out I ordered the wrong offset wheels, so I'm going to have to run spacers in the rear.

I also tossed the grill and the seats in there. I was having one of those "holy shit it's coming together moments" and wanted to see how it was going to all look. I was also going to drop it another inch in the body, but my hair just barely clears the roof line with me sitting on the floor :eek: soooooo, no more channel. It will drop another inch after the engine is in the and I finish the rear. Should give me a really good stance.

Plans are to have the rear end hung, motor mount built, and have the engine trans sitting in the chassis by the end of next weekend.:D Well see how it goes.

More to come

Attached Files:

12. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Looks real good and I can vision the monster engine in my head, awesome.

13. A 31 MO FO

A 31 MO FO
    from D/FW

unbeliveable your are doing a bad ass job.

14. You know I was going to ask you how tall you are in my last post after seeing the chop/channel you did. Guess you'll have to lay the seats back!

15. mosimpson

mosimpson

Could you take a side shot of your mock up. I'm really curious what your stance looks like with Killers frame. By the way, nice job so far.

16. Chopperman

Chopperman

gonna have to wait a few weeks before I can roll it out of the garage. Rear end still isn't hung and I'm waiting on some pieces from speedway.

I did get some other stuff done yesterday and tonight. Engine and trans should be sitting it by saturday :D

Ohhhh, thought I would share a trick my dad shared with me back in the day. Sockets make GREAT punches for ANY hole when making gaskets or templates.

Attached Files:

17. Chopperman

Chopperman

I didn't feel confident using the stock 5/16 bolts for engine mounts, so I'm going drill and tap the timing chain cover bolts out to 3/8 and use grade 8. Blows ass because I wasted a timing chain gasket ( nobody stocks one ) and I had to pull the pan off as 2 of the holes go through the block :mad:

I should have the mount knocked out by tomorrow.

I highly recommend the hypertherm 600 :D

Attached Files:

18. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

I'm bulding headers today...... Is that motor in there yet?

19. Chopperman

Chopperman

Didn't get in the garage until about 2:00, finished the motor mount, then spent a couple hours chasing parts ( hardware for the adapter I bought ) Then stuffed that bad boy in there.

Pretty long day moving heavy stuff. But it's in there. Tail shaft is just sitting on blocks though.

EDIT : I'm going to have header issues :mad: . Thinking about short straight pipes now.:confused:

EDIT : Again... Now that I'm looking at it, I think I built my mount a few inches lower than it should be. FAWK FAWK FAWK. Going through and looking at pics of other rides, seems most people are mounting the engine pretty high up in the rails. I'm down in there. Might be able to solve this with a simple 1-2 spacer between the mount and engine mount and the frame mount

Attached Files:

20. blue57ford

blue57ford

Awesome work. Awesome thread.

21. Larryboy?

Larryboy?
    from Isleton,CA

I think you're right, that motor can go up quite a bit. The heck with a low c of g, mount it where it works.

Nice touch on the diamond plate front mount. :cool:

22. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Last year I came in from the garage and looked for up dates on Littlemans coupe (Deaths Door Step). This winter it is this car. Nice job. Also to me the motor dont look low. Add carbs and air filters or scoops and things get bigger.

23. Chopperman

Chopperman

The engine sits OK, but the clearnace for headers is WAY tight. The HEmi exhaust ports shot almost straight down out of the head instead on the side like chebby. Need headers for fitment

24. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Chopperman,

Your project is looking great! I enjoy your enthusiasm. I am living vicariously through you!

I am building a 1959 Ranchero (although life got in the way and I haven’t turned wrench in about 9 months or so). Maybe we will bump into each other some time once we are “on the road”.

Mike

25. Whiplash

Whiplash

looking great!

26. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

Looks good, build some headers... no big deal. I mounted my motor as low as possible the oil pan is about an 1" higher than the lowest point on the frame rails so it won't hit.

But yes my header deal was alot easier.

27. Chopperman

Chopperman

How did your progress go this weekend ?

I ordered a set from lake headers 250.00 ( I just don't have the time ) I figured by the time I buy a kit, flanges, and megaphones.....

I would really have to raise the engine a ton to accomplish that. At least 4 inches or so.

I just measured and the pan is sitting 5" off the ground ( about 3/4" lower than the hair pins ) I'm going add 1-1/4" spacers on my mounts to gain a little more lift. This engine has a HUGE pan with a front sump. Looks like I'm gonna have to be CAREFULL:eek:

a couple of better pics

Also what do you guys think about my drag link clearance ? I have about 1-1/4" between the drag link and the engine cradle / mount ( with engine/trans weight )

Attached Files:

28. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

I don't know on that clearance seems pretty tight. Have you jumped up and down on the front crossmemeber?

29. Chopperman

Chopperman

ohhhh baby what an inch makes.

Where to find 1 inch spacers.... hmmmm, look at this nice toytota IFS driveshaft.. so longer sucker. LOL

I raised the engine 1 inch and it made a ton of difference all around. I'm totaly satisfied now.

Attached Files:

30. Chopperman

Chopperman

for those that don't understand a4" z'ed frame and 4" channel in an A....:D

Attached Files: